Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dormant Football Grounds

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Spytty Park, Newport.

The irony is that Newport County have signed up for a ground share with Newport Gwent Dragons and Newport RFC at Rodney Parade - mainly because Spytty Park was prone to get waterlogged. However, that's also a problem at Rodney Parade - so much so that County have only been able to play TWO home league games since October.

Here's a pic of Spytty Park. For some reason, it looks vaguely familiar.

newportcounty.jpg
My kids had a hockey match at the Velodrome next to that a couple of weeks ago. Its quite a tidy ground.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I love looking at the old grounds and what happened to them, of the English clubs I think Scunthorpe were the first to move into a new purpose built ground ?

Me too! They were the first in 33 years, following Southend's move to Roots Hall. Here's a picture of Southend's old stadium (1934 - 1955), called, er Southend Stadium
Stadium.jpg

...and here's a picture of Southend's old old stadium, The Kursaal, in 1928:
Southend~United~football~ground~at~The~Kursaal$2C~Southend-on-Sea$2C~1928.jpg

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Yes, they will never sell that bit of land, the owners should just convert it back to a football pitch and use it for Sunday/local leagues like Third Lanark

I can't find an old ariel shot but its in the top left butted up to the houses

I was there for what turned out to be Albion's last-ever visit to the ground, in September 1992. A 1-1 draw (it seemed that every match between Stoke and Brighton ended in a draw). And an Albion debut (as a substitute) for David Macchiochi - Whoooooooooooooooo?

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
what about Plough lane has that been knocked down

Now has blocks of flats on there, walked past there recently, i believe they are named after some of the ex players

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Believe the stadium is now (among other things) a Vauxhall dealership. The speedway stadium is still standing not too far away

Not for long, perhaps. Despite suffering the hurt of the loss of their own stadium, AFC Wimbledon for some reason think it fair minded to apply to build houses and a new ground on the speedway / greyhound track. Hypocrites.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I love looking at the old grounds and what happened to them, of the English clubs I think Scunthorpe were the first to move into a new purpose built ground ?

Scunthorpe & Walsall were the first in a generation to move. Both grounds look pretty dated and limited by now- Scunny are looking to move to a new stadium at the moment I believe.

Shame to see Nene Park falling to bits. I remember us playing up there one Tuesday evening game. Excellent, tidy little stadium, good atmosphere from the Albion fans. Was way better than the likes of Walsall, as small grounds go. They had a Doc Martens factory shop right outside the ground, I seem to recall.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This is what Scunny are aiming for now. Not bad.

5674252-large.jpg

5668828-large.jpg

5674257-large.jpg

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Spytty Park, Newport.

The irony is that Newport County have signed up for a ground share with Newport Gwent Dragons and Newport RFC at Rodney Parade - mainly because Spytty Park was prone to get waterlogged. However, that's also a problem at Rodney Parade - so much so that County have only been able to play TWO home league games since October.

Here's a pic of Spytty Park. For some reason, it looks vaguely familiar.

newportcounty.jpg
A must tick for me having seen Football at Somerton as well as Spytty Park.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Reminds me a bit of somewhere. Can't quite place it...

I thought that :)

Only from that angle though. Still, looks quite nice for a lower league place, don't you think?

Bit greedy really, if you ask me. Glanford Park is a mere 26 years old and they already want a new one? Takes some of us 14 years just to build one bloody stadium...

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Not for long, perhaps. Despite suffering the hurt of the loss of their own stadium, AFC Wimbledon for some reason think it fair minded to apply to build houses and a new ground on the speedway / greyhound track. Hypocrites.

I thought nobody was allowed to slag off AFC Wimbledon?

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
I thought that :)

Only from that angle though. Still, looks quite nice for a lower league place, don't you think?

Bit greedy really, if you ask me. Glanford Park is a mere 26 years old and they already want a new one? Takes some of us 14 years just to build one bloody stadium...
Remember going there for the cup match 13-14 years ago, and at the time thinking was a neat tidy ground, with scope for expansion of they needed it. Funny the things you remember, although yes but dated now, but don't be greedy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here