Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't understand the club's stance...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yes, agree re Stephens. We need him to work hard and give his all once the transfer window has shut. If it turns out he is sulking, our chances of challenging will go down.

To be honest, I'm just a bit fed up with the relentless negativity on here and trying to put an alternative perspective.

My glass is half full, too.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
All over according to the club, we shall do well to make the TOP 6 now. MASSIVE letdown yet again by the club

Ernest - You do go all 1940s Hollywood and ''over act'' sometimes - You wanted to sack the Manager in January and we went on to not lose a league game after that until just last Saturday, so your synopsis of things often has a bit of ''drama'' about it

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
So, this time last week we had £8mill to spunk on a young unproven player, and yet we've come out of the transfer window with nothing potent to show for it? (Wait, I'm forgetting of course, we kept a player who no longer has the heart to be here, and who will likely leave for a lot less in January).

I'm so disappointed in the club, I genuinely thought after last season we were going to go for it

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Two words
ZERO AMBITION.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is truly cringeworthy. How is refusing a combined £20m for two players showing zero ambition.

It is quite clear we won't break our wage structure which is hampering our efforts to find a goalscorer, but that is hardly the same as zero ambition. Have a word with yourself, you come across like a stroppy teenager.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
There have been plenty of examples of youngsters being forced into the firing line due to injuries, suspensions , etc and emerging as a decent player and doing well - Rashford at United last season is one such example. Who knows, if one of our youngsters are suddenly thrown in at the deep end and called upon to perform, and with our supply from the wings, they may just manage to fill the gap until we got the players back or signed someone in the next window but there is nothing to say that we might end up in that situation anyway and could end up like Burnley of a couple of seasons back where they had very few incidents where they were forced to change their line ups and with a fairly settled side, got promoted (they wouldn't have needed a 4th striker that season)

If only we had the like of Rashford and co. We have the wee jock mac plop Harper who was injured a large part of last year, Vahid Hambo who i think is now injured, The Irish lad Towell who has been injured as our very own attacking no 10 and who only exists on the balance sheet - And yes Burnley didn't need their fourth striker but I bet you they had one just in case.Feeling very deflated......

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
The way the CH and the club have created a real competitive squad and based the window on not losing key players has been brilliant but if you have not got all the filler to close the gap it's all pointless. We have had months to get someone (Striker or no.10) in and CH recognised this himself and said as much.

There is no point in quoting stats about being one of the top scorers last season when the league has got stronger and our run of being unbeaten is pretty much unrepeatable this season.

We almost got away with too many draws last season, we won't this IMO,

Like I say we've made some real good additions but failed on the big one

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I remember this time last season, Solly was just beginning to show the promise we hoped he might. And there were rumours of multi million enquiries about him. His return (soon please) may well be the answer to our pace up front, equally he could fit into the much vaunted No 10 spot. And he was peppering the opposition with some devastating shooting too. So let's not get too down in the dumps. I think the squad is stronger than it was 12 months ago. Let's face it losing 2-0 away with only 10 men for the last half hour to the out league Favourites isn't something to get depressed about. :albion2:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So, this time last week we had £8mill to spunk on a young unproven player, and yet we've come out of the transfer window with nothing potent to show for it? (Wait, I'm forgetting of course, we kept a player who no longer has the heart to be here, and who will likely leave for a lot less in January).

I'm so disappointed in the club, I genuinely thought after last season we were going to go for it

Luckily I have not been sniffing a

onions_06.jpg

Have some of these; I don't need then cos I'm happy. Seagulls!

kellenex.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is truly cringeworthy. How is refusing a combined £20m for two players showing zero ambition.

It is quite clear we won't break our wage structure which is hampering our efforts to find a goalscorer, but that is hardly the same as zero ambition. Have a word with yourself, you come across like a stroppy teenager.

nbsml seems to be having a mid life crisis or a particularly challenging time of the month right now. I recommend co-codamol washed down with a large vodka, for the total numbness that sometimes flushes the mind tank (although it may cause lassitude, liver damage and blindness, albeit this would be a vast improvement on the death pact he/she appears to have currently made with him/herself) :facepalm:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

But £8m doesn't buy a PROVEN Championship striker. And maybe TB didn't want to spunk £8m - or even part of it which could be better used in future - on someone they weren't absolutely convinced would be the final piece of the jigsaw...Pritchard had enough of a history in this division to make him less of a gamble than you suggest.

I'd say keeping what we've got together when he could have wiped out more than a season's worth of debts was a pretty good statement of intent.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
This is a better squad than last season.

Brighton were the highest championship goal scorers last season. Joint with Burnley on 72 goals. The only difference is literally Zamora and Wilson being swapped for Murray in the striker department. I'd back Murray to score more than those he replaced...

That was when our midfield was humming.

In the games to date I don't think outside of Knockaert our midfield have looked as dominant as they did last season. If Stephens flounces I expect our defence to come under much more pressure than they did last season.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
But £8m doesn't buy a PROVEN Championship striker. And maybe TB didn't want to spunk £8m - or even part of it which could be better used in future - on someone they weren't absolutely convinced would be the final piece of the jigsaw...Pritchard had enough of a history in this division to make him less of a gamble than you suggest.

I'd say keeping what we've got together when he could have wiped out more than a season's worth of debts was a pretty good statement of intent.

£8million would probably have gotten Nakhi Wells, or someone like Tom Bradshaw AND Bradley Dack.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
£8million would probably have gotten Nakhi Wells, or someone like Tom Bradshaw AND Bradley Dack.
I suspect we tried for Wells and Huddersfield refused point blank to sell.

We were never going to go 'silly money' which was probably what it would have taken.

It seems the same was true for another target - Dack or Clough maybe.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
There are so many negative comments on here, why?, we are in a better position than last year and we scored the most goals.Of course we want more, I want an Aston Martin, but cant afford it, simple logic in life, does that make me have 'Zero Ambition' no, its life and we have to accept it.Plus how do we know we did not try and get another Striker in?, maybe they did not to sell and left us looking at players no better than what we got. We have a very competitive squad, really happy with that.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Clubs like Forest & Derby have squads containing 6 or 7 strikers yet we regularly end transfer periods without signing the striker that we've supposedly spent the entire window chasing

and where has it got them?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I'm sure we have tried. Just maybe other clubs haven't wanted to sell their best players either. Or maybe clubs want to much. Or maybe players want more cash. Whatever I'm sure we have been looking for that number 10 since Pritchard didn't happen. No point buying a player we don't want. The other problem the value of strikers is mental again this summer. McCormack, Gayle, kodija all gone for well in excess of 10 million quid. Pritchard went to Norwich for more than we were going to pay and I doubt he will even be in 1st 11 if he's ever fit. The 5/6 Million we were going to spend only gets you potential now not a proven scorer

did we?

ok so maybe it is hard to land a vydra or kodija without spending a fortune, but the recruitment team has had ages and i assume a list of targets, if for instance pritchard doesnt come, then others in a similar mold...... even a potentially promising cheaper foreign acquisition like Hemed?? but this time nothing.....for weeks theyve been saying they want to get such a player but we got nobody when all around us had no such issues and have strengthened........ our first team is good, but what of a long term injury now in the striking department? Baldock doesnt score goals....... defence and midfield is excellent, we needed another striker, even a cheapo with potential for the "what if", now we have to hope nobody get injured or suffers a huge loss in form. UTA

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
and where has it got them?

That's the thing isn't it? Forest seem to have had a stockpile of striker for quite a few seasons now, and yet they finished 16th last season. Derby have loads, and are probably worse flops in the play-offs than us. It's not about having loads of strikers, it's about bringing in the right players.

However, it probably would be wise to have at least two players for each position. We're short of that at present, but there's no reason someone can't adapt their position (Knockaert?) and get us those goals.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Gotta say the club has failed repeatedly to sign the striker we have been looking for since before the beginning of last season... no excuses, it is a failure... and Barber should cut the BS...

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
This is a better squad than last season.

Brighton were the highest championship goal scorers last season. Joint with Burnley on 72 goals. The only difference is literally Zamora and Wilson being swapped for Murray in the striker department. I'd back Murray to score more than those he replaced...

Joint also with Brentford

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here