Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] “Don’t call it a Derby!”

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s weird. Especially when Sky **** over our ‘South Coast Derby’ against Bournemouth, which is twice as far away. Bizarre.

Television marketting. Part of the process of telling millions of people who haven't heard of Brighton and Hove Albion or Crystal Palace that it might be fun to watch this game of 'soccer' that they will be broadcasting soon.

It doesn't have anything to do with people who actually follow the clubs. Pretty much by definition.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Thing is pretty much every Brighton fan comes into contact with Palace fans in everyday life. Many of the Croydonites have understandably relocated to Sussex and lots of Sussex people commute to London for work.

And even if you take out the Mullery/Venables element, the play-off saga alone would be enough to engender a lot of antipathy between the clubs, let alone the often eventful games we've seen since.

Then you have Zaha. A player who many Brighton fans dislike more than Palace itself. We'll miss him when he signs for PSG.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Norwich v Ipswich is actually quite a good comparison. Norwich fans make similar jokes about the town of Ipswich that we do about Croydon; locking your car doors when you drive through, chavs etc. Lots of people in Suffolk travel to Norwich for a night out because it is a nicer city with better nightlife.

Tweeting Seagull

Mar 27, 2018
Why can't you just let people call it what they like, without getting so pedantic over such trivial things?

I’m Not complaining about people calling it a rivalry rather than a derby etc. it’s the it’s not a derby thing that annoys me, the pedantic and arrogant nature of it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Technically that would be Crawley Town, but I take your point!

See Green’s post below yours. I barely recognise Crawley is in Sussex, never mind they’ve a Football League team. No history.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I think that you can call this derby territory ? EMzHrTXXUAYdBIc.jpg

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's never been a derby to me, just a rivalry

What pisses me off most is the cock on Sky going Seag'lls vs Eagulls. WTF is all that about?

Sussex vs Londons ring piece maybe?

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I know it’s not popular, but can you imagine the stadium they could build together if they shared? Instead there are 2 ramshackle dumps, by comparison. It wouldn’t work for every rivalry, I get that, but for some it could do.

Tannadice is not a ramshackle dump ! Dens fair enough!

Hosted a UEFA Cup final and footballing gods of Sturrock, Narey & Hegarty !

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
If applying a road name, it’s the A23 as every proper fan knows. M23 didn’t even exist when this rivalry started yet the goons at Sky etc trot out their schoolboy error every year despite correction. I’ve concluded they’re just stupid. A bit thick.

Also, the media love to bang on about how strange it is when everyone knows others accepted as normal exist over greater distances. And if it’s strange because Sky, BT, BBC Sport always call it that (because they had never heard of until we got promoted which only reflects their ignorance) then how long does it remain strange? I’m puzzled every season, twice a season, the media react as if it’s some fantastical new revelation. But again, if you knew last season, and the season before, and the season before etc, and it’s still a surprise, then surely that’s because the Sports journo’s at said outlets are just, well, a bit stupid?

Did you know that Ben White spent a season on loan at Leeds?
Dan Burn is the tallest LB in the PL?
Etc...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here