Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Don’t ask for big pay rises people, FFS

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
What is wrong with these morons? Most of us are hoping not to get pay cuts, not thinking about asking for “big pay rises”. I can’t imagine how my boss would respond if I asked him for any sort of pay rise, let alone a big one, but the final answer will 100% be no. No-one at our place has had any increase in remuneration since before COVID, and for most of us 2 years before COVID, and there is absolutely no chance of one for the next 12 months at least.

Don't ask for a big pay rise, warns Bank of England boss https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60206564

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I’ve just started the budgeting process for next FY. The biggest imponderable, and largest cost increase variable, is the average pay rise. I can make an argument for anything between 0 and 6%. Oh joy.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I’ve just started the budgeting process for next FY. The biggest imponderable, and largest cost increase variable, is the average pay rise. I can make an argument for anything between 0 and 6%. Oh joy.

I’d imagine you should offer what most companies will do, 0%. And anyone who doesn’t like it can go find another job. As I said, there’s no chance of anyone where I am getting anything at all, the last 2 years have ensured that. We’re grateful that we still have a job, and that’s the reality.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My union is more interested in boycotting Israel. The *****.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I’d imagine you should offer what most companies will do, 0%. And anyone who doesn’t like it can go find another job. As I said, there’s no chance of anyone where I am getting anything at all, the last 2 years have ensured that. We’re grateful that we still have a job, and that’s the reality.

So because you’re not getting one, no one else should?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Was told today, we are getting 3%, which is better than nothing, but given the rate of inflation, an effective cut in real terms.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
large pay hikes are inflationary, increase costs and wipe out the effects of interest rate rise. of course difficult for people think about that when they're looking at their personal costs going up. a reason for 20 years of low inflation has been keeping wage increases moderate from expanded labour supply, going to be tricky to contain now.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What is wrong with these morons? Most of us are hoping not to get pay cuts, not thinking about asking for “big pay rises”. I can’t imagine how my boss would respond if I asked him for any sort of pay rise, let alone a big one, but the final answer will 100% be no. No-one at our place has had any increase in remuneration since before COVID, and for most of us 2 years before COVID, and there is absolutely no chance of one for the next 12 months at least.

Don't ask for a big pay rise, warns Bank of England boss https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60206564

Have you thought of a new career as a lorry driver?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
So because you’re not getting one, no one else should?

Well done to anyone who is getting one, in the private SME sector I’d imagine a lot won’t be getting anything.

Was told today, we are getting 3%, which is better than nothing, but given the rate of inflation, an effective cut in real terms.

As you say, better than nothing, and a lot better than 0% since 2018.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
large pay hikes are inflationary, increase costs and wipe out the effects of interest rate rise. of course difficult for people think about that when they're looking at their personal costs going up. a reason for 20 years of low inflation has been keeping wage increases moderate from expanded labour supply, going to be tricky to contain now.

Other robotic analysis is available.

:wink:

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
My company (fire engineers) is currently experiencing more demand than ever and we have to decline more work than we accept. So business is better than ever. I have no idea if we are a fluky outlier or whether there are certain types of business that are doing well and are relatively unaffected by COVID.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Landlords needs to stop hiking up rents, then people wouldn’t need to beg for pay rises to pay them. This is why lower paid people are struggling.
For many, there is little to spend at all after rent, bills and food.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I asked my self for a pay rise after some back and forth and strong negotiations I got one :thumbsup: I wonder if TB went through similar when he signed Undav :D

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
We've been offered 1.75%. Our 'real' wage is 25% lower than in 2010.

Unison balloted members on whether they would consider taking action. Only 1 in 7 responded.

So I guess 'we' are happy with 1.75%...

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
My company (fire engineers) is currently experiencing more demand than ever and we have to decline more work than we accept. So business is better than ever. I have no idea if we are a fluky outlier or whether there are certain types of business that are doing well and are relatively unaffected by COVID.
Your not alone I’ve lost count of the amount of jobs I have to try and get through. The other day I priced a job as the guy kept bugging me for about a week I priced it on £1000 a day Labour thinking he’s never going to go for it. Sunday night the reply email came in. A bit more than he expected but when could I start :facepalm:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Builders / handymen, etc round our way are doing okay. Really difficult to get them to even come round and give a quote. And when they do, you often don't actually get a quote. If you are lucky enough to do so, and you accept the quote - you never hear from them again.

PS - it's not just me! There's quite a few here having the same problems.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Landlords needs to stop hiking up rents, then people wouldn’t need to beg for pay rises to pay them. This is why lower paid people are struggling.
For many, there is little to spend at all after rent, bills and food.

that would help, need more housing built too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here