Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Donny fans memories of the last Goldstone game

Interesting comment from Rios:-

"I also remember being slightly angry at the players carrying the sign around the pitch which was abviously a ploy by Richardson, but that was to come to the fore the next season. Strange that it was that incident that started the friendly relations between our two sets of fans."

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I'm not convinced Darren Moore was "taken off for his own safety" - I remember him being sent off for fighting with Iain Baird. 1 Fan in the NW terrace threw a banana at him and got a well-deserved kicking (from what I've heard).

It was a bloody weird day - I imagine it might feel a bit tense from a Donny perspective, especially at the final whistle!!

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
I would think the atmosphere must have been pretty intimidating for the away fans, we had so many pitch invasions that inside the stadium there was a real feeling of 'anything goes' in term of saving the club. The bananas were a disgrace, but Moore was sent off, not taken off!
At the final whistle no one was interested in fighting just taking home their own memories of the ground.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
My recollection is that half a dozen bananas were thrown on during 5 seconds in the first half - hardly 'throughout the game'.. and in any case Moore was sent off in the first half!

It was a very disgraceful incident though...I've only ever seen 2 racist incidents by Brighton fans in the 600 odd games i've been to, so i've no idea what the thought process from that non-fan was.
I hope he really did get a good kicking and it would be nice to name and shame the sub human scum that he is.

Rios

Aug 1, 2011
Interesting comment from Rios:-

"I also remember being slightly angry at the players carrying the sign around the pitch which was abviously a ploy by Richardson, but that was to come to the fore the next season. Strange that it was that incident that started the friendly relations between our two sets of fans."

Not really, it just meant different things to us at the time. You thought it was a heart warming gesture to the plight of Brighton fans, whilst we saw it as yet another cynical ploy (he didn't want you to attack the players he was about to flog off in the summer) by an owner who was about to abuse us, just as you had been abused. It had been coming that season and reached it's peak the following season when we got relegated.

Memory is a funny thing. Moore did get sent off and I remember it clearly. However I also didn't really recall the bananas or the two Brighton fans in our end until they were mentioned.

As a side note, can I take this opportunity to thank the Brighton fans who helped the following season. I was the editor of a Rovers fanzine (KWCR) and a number of people corrosponded with me and I met some for our game at Belle Vue that season. When we all went on the Belle Vue pitch during that game it was much appreciated and gave us all a bit of inspiration, especially as we were being pretty much ignored and laughed at by everyone else. :)

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
Standing in the North-West corner before the game 3 lads around 15-16 passed me, one of whom had the bananas in one of those stripey bags you used to get from corner shops. Pretty naive, I know, but it never occured to me before the sendings-off that that was their intention. Lets hope the tossers are no longer supporting the club and the rumour that one of them got a kicking turned out to be true.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
There were loads of bananas thrown when Moore was going off. Can't have been just one bloke, sadly. The monkey chants were pretty commonplace still then so no surprise that we would have an element.

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
It was intimidating to start with, but I never thought that the players flag was a cynical, Richardscum ploy. I was pleased with it though, because it helped calm things down.
As for the bananas thing... you have to remember that attitudes to racism were different back then. It would be totally unacceptable now, and quite right too.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
As for the bananas thing... you have to remember that attitudes to racism were different back then. It would be totally unacceptable now, and quite right too.

No, this was only 14 years ago. It was totally unacceptable then, too.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
i was at the tunnel after moore got sent off,bananas werent thrown at all in this instance,.
And im pretty sure when they were thrown,it was a song that they used to sing in the north stand,one banana 2 banana 3 banana,nana nana naana etc,and they were from the north stand,you cretins that try to make it into a race issue need to get a life!!!.
I know there are 3/4 north stand lads that stood by me that day,and who come on here will confirm what i said

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
i was at the tunnel after moore got sent off,bananas werent thrown at all in this instance,.
And im pretty sure when they were thrown,it was a song that they used to sing in the north stand,one banana 2 banana 3 banana,nana nana naana etc,and they were from the north stand,you cretins that try to make it into a race issue need to get a life!!!.
I know there are 3/4 north stand lads that stood by me that day,and who come on here will confirm what i said

and there was 2 dark skinned bha just behind at the time if my memory is correct(just cemmenting that it was not a racist act,if it was then im sure the lads i were with would of certainly had a aword

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
By the time the Valentine's Day game at Gillingham came round, we'd certainly learned a lot more about Richardson.

Wasn't that the game that we all turned up in fireman's helmets..........

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
empire, they were thrown while he was walking to the tunnel. I have seen the footage again only very recently. They came from the NW terrace.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
i know i was at the front mate,but these fans were from the north stand,and they were signing that song,can you put up on here?,ive heard it many a game esp away games

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
It was intimidating to start with, but I never thought that the players flag was a cynical, Richardscum ploy. I was pleased with it though, because it helped calm things down.

indeed . if it happened then it was bang out of order. although the scuffle that resulted in Moore and Baird being sent off was right by the tunnel and as Bellotti had installed a no go zone on the terraces around the tunnel there were np fans around that area at the time. I'd be suprised if anyone lobbed bannanas onto the field at the players from the NW terrace cos it was rammed in there and we were a long way from tne incident . if they did then they should be ashamed of themselves

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
are you telling me,that with a packed terrace, a couple of fans threw bananas at a coloured player,and NOone did anything???as i said pretty sure this was sung at games esp away

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
35 years of following bha,never ever heard any racial abuse,or do i know of anyone of doing so,home or away

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
There used to be the "one banana two banana three banana four banana, da na na na na etc etc" song, yes. They may well have been singing it. But the bananas were thrown at Moore as he came off from the NW. So it certainly looked like how it would appear... If I can find the footage I will post it, might have been from NSC anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here