Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Donating Blood

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I donate, although haven't done this year as just not had chance. The main reason I'm responding though is to thank you all and anyone else who donates :bowdown::bowdown:. I never realised or thought of the ways donated blood is used, I assumed it was just accidents and sometimes operations and the like. However after my sons treatment for Leukaemia this year he must of had at least 30 blood transfusions, and nearly 100 Platelet (taken from donated blood) transfusions, and he's continuing to need them and will do for next couple of months at least. This is just one child on one ward in one hospital so heaven knows how much donated blood is used daily. I know it can sometimes be a pain and long winded, but one of you could of helped to save a 13 year old childs life, his group is O negative (most definitely blue & white).

When I was in my 30s I caught chicken pox from my kids. Once I'd recovered, my GP advised me to contact the Blood Transfusion service as I had valuable antibodies for the next 6 months. Any adult who catches a 'childhood disease' comes into this category.
I turned up & was announced as the 'Special'. Apparently they could use that one donation for 10 kids who needed those antibodies.

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
I've donated 20+ times but not for 6 months or so but as this has been a reminder of the benefits to others, I will look to book as soon as I can. AB- by the way...

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I've got a fear of needles and even when I have a test it takes them ages to get enough blood.

Sperm on the other hand......but I don't want doctors thinking I'm a wanker. :)

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
A -

Only done it a handful of times but booked in for my next one in September. The text feature saying when / where my blood has been used is a really good addition. Last one was used in Woolich.

Also I think the ban on gay men not being able to donate is ridiculous.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
B, I am one in ten....used to donate but sort of fizzled out, probably too old now at 55.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
A lot of Brits are not allowed to donate in the USA due to American Red Cross rules which say if you were living in UK for 3 months between 1/1/80 and 31/12/96 you could have been exposed to Mad Cow disease so are not eligible - seems crazy as the risk is so small but thems the rules

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Don't know whether you ever visit any places with drop-in centres (none in Sussex I'm afraid) - means no need for appointment
You can sometimes drop-in at the cricket ground (when it's there).

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I used to donate in the UK but here they won't accept blood from anyone who "lived in the United Kingdom for a cumulative period of six months (or more) between 1980 and 1996? "

Apparently testing for CJD is unreliable and very expensive.

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
Yes I donate. But I agree the process is frustrating. Getting a convenient appointment can be a frustrating experience. But I won't stop obviously.

I'm B positive. Mrs Maglers is A negative. Which always makes me smile...

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Have donated about 30 times. I try and book a time slot within my lunch break at work. In and out within the hour

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I'm fairly sure you can donate up to 65.

Just been on the UK Blood Donor website and if you have previously donated blood they will take you up to age 70.

Certainly lots of Silver Donors at the West Chiltington Sessions where I give blood, I'm a comparative youngster!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
A -

Only done it a handful of times but booked in for my next one in September. The text feature saying when / where my blood has been used is a really good addition. Last one was used in Woolich.

I didn't know about this - I haven't been for a while (must get back to it)... What do they do if it isn't used?! Tell you that it was dumped in a landfill site?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here