Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Dogs

boik

We lost our beautiful GSD Meg last August to canine hepatitis. We will be picking up the hopefully just as gorgeous Cassie in 2 weeks time when she reaches 8 weeks. Judging by her colouring she should look a lot like her old man, who is a handsome Devil. So excited!

118403768_10157735744686553_6377078130479387956_n.jpg

theboybilly

We lost our Rosie to a brain tumour at the beginning of June. She was a 14 year old Staffie cross. She was my first dog, we rescued her from Battersea and we enjoyed 10 amazing years with her. Never felt such love and devotion from an animal before, she completely changed my attitude to dogs in general. When she died, devastation doesn't even come close to describing the feeling. I'm coming to terms with it all, learning to live with it, but does the feeling ever truly go away? Some people say jump straight in and get another, I'm not sure I can do that for a long time, both emotionally and practically at the moment. Never in a million years did I think it would be this tough, not that I'd swap having her, loved every minute of her being part of our family.

We lost our Staffie in April last year. Like Rosie he came from Battersea. As he had had an operation on his front right paw and may need ongoing treatment we got him free as a 'Donation Dog'. 5 wonderful years we had 'Our Boy' until cancer took him. We had no idea apart from a little bleeding from his mouth - I never thought for an instant on taking him into the vet that I wouldn't be taking Obi home. As an aside we have his ashes and...a pawprint in clay. The front right paw! It lifted my spirits when I found that out - the only bit of Obi that was uninsured. We left it a bit and decided to foster - what a great decision. Apart from Albert the Lurcher who was just too boysterous for us the next 4 have been brilliant (I could easily have kept all of them) and, if Covid had come a few days earlier we still would have had Patch, a Spaniel cross who was so much fun. We can't wait to get back to some normality and get more dogs. Maybe we will find that perfect dog. As regards the heartache of losing your best friend can I say it does get easier with time but little things will take you back to a certain walk, a certain bit of play. Dogs are great.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
The thing that proper sets me off are heavy rainy days. Rosie hated going out in the rain, she'd just cuddle in all day and it absolutely hammered it down the day we took her to the vets for the last time. We'll get there, we talk about it a lot which is great. I'm thinking about giving it a few years. If we're able to get back to travelling in the next year or so then we want to do a big trip to Japan and Australia, so would love to do that before settling down again. Ta for letting me post about it though, it's good to get it out.

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South
Mongrel. That, plain and simple, is what it is. Sure she’s wonderful as you say. But she’s a mongrel. No shame in that. No need to dress it up as a new breed either. It’s what she is. I don’t understand this modern phenomena to invent breeds. Unless of course they’re recognised by KC. It sort of started in the early 00’s when we started inventing new words by sandwiching two together e.g. hungry and angry = hangry. It’s really irritating when perfectly good and established words already exist but some people love to create their own language. Personally I call such types ‘funts’...

I volunteer helping rescued cats and dogs and at a few animals shelters in Nashville. It seems there is a correlation between animal mistreatment and being known as “mutts” or “mongrels” as opposed to even cute made up cross breeding species names. Dogs in shelters that can be *marketed* (I hate using that word) as their known cross bred names are adopted 2.5x faster than dogs known as “mutts” or “mongrels” even with older dogs. You can dislike it all you want but the numbers show it is not only beneficial to how these “mongrels” are treated but also whether they can find a family to adopt them. It’s worth the cutesy name for me with those benefits.

I don’t know if that’s happening over there, I’m just speaking from my experience.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We lost our Rosie to a brain tumour at the beginning of June. She was a 14 year old Staffie cross. She was my first dog, we rescued her from Battersea and we enjoyed 10 amazing years with her. Never felt such love and devotion from an animal before, she completely changed my attitude to dogs in general. When she died, devastation doesn't even come close to describing the feeling. I'm coming to terms with it all, learning to live with it, but does the feeling ever truly go away? Some people say jump straight in and get another, I'm not sure I can do that for a long time, both emotionally and practically at the moment. Never in a million years did I think it would be this tough, not that I'd swap having her, loved every minute of her being part of our family.

We said the same Grizz after we lost our beautiful Jack Russell 3 years ago. She was our first dog as a family. Incredibly difficult as you now realise but it was over a year later when we helped out a friend by looking after theirs for a weekend. It came back to us and we then started to think well maybe............... got a rescue Jack now who was around 4 when we picked her up from Allsorts near Henfield.
She is disobedient, wrecks things, never lets you have a minutes piece and spends most of her time fighting with my 2 year old grandson who is living with us.
I’ve never regretted getting her for one minute. She is gorgeous but anyone who has owned a Jack will know what I’m talking about.
Still have photos of our old mutt around and get a tear in my eye when Inthink about her but so so glad we gave this pest a chance in life.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I volunteer helping rescued cats and dogs and at a few animals shelters in Nashville. It seems there is a correlation between animal mistreatment and being known as “mutts” or “mongrels” as opposed to even cute made up cross breeding species names. Dogs in shelters that can be *marketed* (I hate using that word) as their known cross bred names are adopted 2.5x faster than dogs known as “mutts” or “mongrels” even with older dogs. You can dislike it all you want but the numbers show it is not only beneficial to how these “mongrels” are treated but also whether they can find a family to adopt them. It’s worth the cutesy name for me with those benefits.

I don’t know if that’s happening over there, I’m just speaking from my experience.

Precisely, simply another ‘rebranding’ example to accommodate idiotic sensitivities of the snowflake generation.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
I lost my beautiful 15 and a half year old golden retriever and month ago broke my heart and cried like a baby as I was with her to the end. I had already bought 2 golden puppies before she passed which are keeping me busy.
65cc17d99bb98b1a65f17cfcca7737fc.jpg
. Nala and Bobby during a quiet spell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I lost my beautiful 15 and a half year old golden retriever and month ago broke my heart and cried like a baby as I was with her to the end. I had already bought 2 golden puppies before she passed which are keeping me busy.
65cc17d99bb98b1a65f17cfcca7737fc.jpg
. Nala and Bobby during a quiet spell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We’re not dog owners, but if we were, it would be Golden Retrievers all the way. 15 and a half, what a grand age! Monty Don’s gorgeous Nigel didn’t make 12.

Nala and Bobby are in good hands :smile:

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Nicky Campbell is doing a podcast now about dogs and owning dogs, it's really good.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
View attachment 127855The Bold household has a new member...

So the dipstick above got lost for a bit yesterday and when I found him he couldn’t put any weight on his front right leg, and has a few nicks and scratches where he’s obviously done himself some kind of injury. We were in a wooded area, he’d already seen one squirrel and made a mad leap for it.

He’s got a fair amount of swelling on the foreleg below the knee, and still not putting any weight on it. I’ve moved his leg and gently prodded around but no obvious sign that movement hurts him or that there is a sore spot that you might expect with a fracture I guess.

So, is it a trip to the vets in most people’s eyes and no doubt a nice bill for X-ray etc. or wait it out to see how it goes? I’m not asking you to diagnose my dog, just general attitude toward these things.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Sounds like he may have a thiorn or something in a Paw pad? Our dog gets something similar from time to time . Is he licking his paw?

If he's in not distress I'd leave him to res a day or two . . . Might, to coin a phrase, just be a knock, not the full Izquierdo!

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
He looks lovely. Personally I’d take him to the vets - he/she might not suggest an X-ray at this point anyway but if he needs some medication for the pain/inflammation you should just accept it in my view. One of our labs has needed similar from time to time after being over-rigorous in play. We’ve found Petplan has been a worthwhile pet insurance scheme if you want some long-term peace of mind.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Ok so I wanted to get advice here. We have got a spangold retriever called Nellie / **** ... so springer cross golden retriever. She’s just a little shit most of the time... we’ve done the puppy classes / had a home visit etc - we probably need to do more on the training front but she just won’t stop mouthing / biting - jumping up at the kids - fighting our 9 year old chug - grabbing and chewing anything etc etc. We’re aware of the ‘techniques’ to help but it’s not making huge amounts of difference - and they all seem quite nicey nicey give the dog a treat to distract etc... She has got a lovely side though and is getting more cuddly and affectionate all the time - just too full of beans... thinks everyone and everything is a game and just wants to play...

Anyone me got any advice? Anyone got some reassuring words that it’ll be worth it? When will she calm and stop the biting / chewing / twatery???!!!!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sounds like he may have a thiorn or something in a Paw pad? Our dog gets something similar from time to time . Is he licking his paw?

If he's in not distress I'd leave him to res a day or two . . . Might, to coin a phrase, just be a knock, not the full Izquierdo!

His front leg is really swollen just below the knee. Checked pads, and had a good feel around to see if there were any specific pain points. He’s been trembling a bit and I think is a bit distressed. I’m going to try to get him to the vet today I think. He’s sleeping and got ice packs on the swelling at present.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Ok so I wanted to get advice here. We have got a spangold retriever called Nellie / **** ... so springer cross golden retriever. She’s just a little shit most of the time... we’ve done the puppy classes / had a home visit etc - we probably need to do more on the training front but she just won’t stop mouthing / biting - jumping up at the kids - fighting our 9 year old chug - grabbing and chewing anything etc etc. We’re aware of the ‘techniques’ to help but it’s not making huge amounts of difference - and they all seem quite nicey nicey give the dog a treat to distract etc... She has got a lovely side though and is getting more cuddly and affectionate all the time - just too full of beans... thinks everyone and everything is a game and just wants to play...

Anyone me got any advice? Anyone got some reassuring words that it’ll be worth it? When will she calm and stop the biting / chewing / twatery???!!!!

We have a cockapoo puppy now coming up to five months. She also is a pain in the bum but such a lovely nature. She is good with kids and has a loving temperament, she is however still very much a puppy & is soooooo mischievous. We just take every day as it comes correcting her on her chewing, stealing things she shouldn't have ect ect....the list is endless.
As times goes by we find her naughtiness changes from one crime to another, she doesnt chew the mat now......but jumps up to greet us, things like that. She loves to learn though and learning is a good distraction from her crimes.

As I keep saying to the Mrs, she is still a puppy, work in progress(should have called her Potter:O) and we can expect this for up to another year until she loses her puppy ways for good. By the way they say mouthing & chewing should subside after they gain their adult teeth, around 4- ? Months old.

Dont want to sound like a broken record and I am no expert but I think it's just keep doing what you are doing and hopefully the dogs boisterousness and playfulness will decrease to a more manageable level.
I dont regret getting our bundle of fun, she gives so much back, it's great fun.

Last edited:

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
So the dipstick above got lost for a bit yesterday and when I found him he couldn’t put any weight on his front right leg, and has a few nicks and scratches where he’s obviously done himself some kind of injury. We were in a wooded area, he’d already seen one squirrel and made a mad leap for it.

He’s got a fair amount of swelling on the foreleg below the knee, and still not putting any weight on it. I’ve moved his leg and gently prodded around but no obvious sign that movement hurts him or that there is a sore spot that you might expect with a fracture I guess.

So, is it a trip to the vets in most people’s eyes and no doubt a nice bill for X-ray etc. or wait it out to see how it goes? I’m not asking you to diagnose my dog, just general attitude toward these things.

Could be knee ligament damage, fingers crossed it's nothing serious for you guys though.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We have a cockapoo puppy now coming up to five months. She also is a pain in the bum but such a lovely nature. She is good with kids and has a loving temperament, she is however still very much a puppy & is soooooo mischievous. We just take every day as it comes correcting her on her chewing, stealing things she shouldn't have ect ect....the list is endless.
As times goes by we find her naughtiness changes from one crime to another, she doesnt chew the mat now......but jumps up to greet us, things like that. She loves to learn though and learning is a good distraction from her crimes.

As I keep saying to the Mrs, she is still a puppy, work in progress(should have called her Potter:O) and we can expect this for up to another year until she loses her puppy ways for good. By the way they say mouthing & chewing should subside after they gain their adult teeth, around 4- ? Months old.

Dont want to sound like a broken record and I am no expert but I think it's just keep doing what you are doing and hopefully the dogs boisterousness and playfulness will decrease to a more manageable level.
I dont regret getting our bundle of fun, she gives so much back, it's great fun.

ThNks mate - we wanted a cockapoo or similar hit the prices in lockdown were mad! She’s just clumsy - great with kids but at the same time isn’t as she’s so rough with them and tramples them etc. Yeh biting should go soon - she has all adult teeth now. Def loves to learn.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here