Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Dog Attacks - time for licensing again?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
there's part of the answer, the owner taking personal criminal responsibilty of the dogs actions. and that includes heavy fines for letting them shit in the street, paths and verges.
It’s already a criminal offense to let a dog be out of control in any public or private space including the dog’s own home.

There is already legislation for banned dog breeds and restrictions under the dangerous dog act.

It is already an offense to allow your dog to foul in public spaces without picking it up and fines that can be applied.

There are already public space protection orders that can restrict dogs or require them to be on a lead.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yes, 100%. Stupid move to scrap them in the first place (althoulgh at five bob a pop they were a bit of a joke). £100 per year and compulsory DNA registration (so that any dog shit left in a public place or on a playing field could be traced back to the owner with a non-negotiable £250 fine) ...... I'm in! Bring em back now.
I'm not against the DNA registration but intrigued as to how you think the dog poo issue would be policed ? Given councils don't even have enough money to keep toilets for humans open where are they getting the money to employee poo wardens ?

Equally, how does a license prevent people having out of control dogs ?

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It’s already a criminal offense to let a dog be out of control in any public or private space including the dog’s own home.

There is already legislation for banned dog breeds and restrictions under the dangerous dog act.

It is already an offense to allow your dog to foul in public spaces without picking it up and fines that can be applied.

There are already public space protection orders that can restrict dogs or require them to be on a lead.
those are minor offenses. treat the dogs actions as if they were the owner's, if your dog injures or kills someone you are up for GBH or manslaughter. we have notion of joint enterprise between people associated to an offense so its not a great stretch.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
those are minor offenses. treat the dogs actions as if they were the owner's, if your dog injures or kills someone you are up for GBH or manslaughter. we have notion of joint enterprise between people associated to an offense so its not a great stretch.
That's down to the legislation, licensing wouldn't alter that, it would just be a database of ownership.

There isn't normally an issue tracking down the owner of a dog attack, it's often within the family home or neighbourhood. Tighten the legislation by all means, but I don't think licensing would impact those that are already not responsible, the same as vehicle registration and driver's licenses don't deter idiots from texting, using phones, drinking, speeding etc.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not against the DNA registration but intrigued as to how you think the dog poo issue would be policed ? Given councils don't even have enough money to keep toilets for humans open where are they getting the money to employee poo wardens ?
Revenue from properly priced dog licences? (not five bob a pop like the old ones!)
Equally, how does a license prevent people having out of control dogs ?
It wouldn't - the suggestion was about changung laws, nothing to do with the issue of licences.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Revenue from properly priced dog licences? (not five bob a pop like the old ones!)

It wouldn't - the suggestion was about changung laws, nothing to do with the issue of licences.
So your plan is to instigate a multi-million pound IT database project to hold a dna database of licensed dogs, supposedly funded by a license fee that will also pay for multiple dog wardens to patrol every park and public space looking for dog poo, testing it then identifying their owners?

Will they be able to tell the difference between dog and unicorn poo?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
How about requiring licenses for certain breeds of dog? With possible training required, and a limit on breeding?
Dogs or f*ckwit owners ?

More seriously I sat on a number of prosecutions of dangerous dogs and the one common factor in every single one was the owner saying "He's never done it before".

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So your plan is to instigate a multi-million pound IT database project to hold a dna database of licensed dogs, supposedly funded by a license fee that will also pay for multiple dog wardens to patrol every park and public space looking for dog poo, testing it then identifying their owners?

Yes. There is no unicorn poo. Are you stupid or deluded? - or do you just believe fairy tales are real? :facepalm:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

At least it would help track down the fathers of mongrels, in paternity suits.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

And these rules / regulations are enforced are they?

The criminal cretins that are breeding and buying the recent crop of killer breeds won't buy a licence for a dog any more than they would buy a licence for their gun.

That's one scary programme.

I have seen a fairly petite woman with a monstrous American Bully in Worthing town centre. She was totally incapable of controlling the beast that was pulling her all over the shop. She had no control over it and if it decided it was going after another dog or a young child, neither she, nor anyone else, was going to stop it.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We are in the top 5 countries in Europe for fatal dog attacks ( against humans ) since 1995. The number is increasing significantly as certain breeds have gained in popularity. A 2021 study showed that the numbers of fatalities are a very small tip of the ' dog attack iceberg '
Every dog is a dangerous animal genetically. A vicious attack can follow months or even years of apparent placidity. My father bred dogs for years and drummed caution into us. Respect them at all times. Unfortunately, young children don't know these boundaries.
One of our dogs, which we had reared and became a family pet, suddenly, at about 5-6 years of age, attacked the postman, sending him to hospital with a lump out of his calf. Another, went straight through a plate glass front door, at another tradesman. Two incidents, apparently totally out of perceived character.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

The criminal cretins that are breeding and buying the recent crop of killer breeds won't buy a licence for a dog any more than they would buy a licence for their gun.

I have seen a fairly petite woman with a monstrous American Bully in Worthing town centre. She was totally incapable of controlling the beast that was pulling her all over the shop. She had no control over it and if it decided it was going after another dog or a young child, neither she, nor anyone else, was going to stop it.

I give those dogs a wide berth.
If I am being approached by the archetypal yob, heavy chain and slavering animal wrenching his arms off, I try and cross the road or let it pass with some width. If that is not possible I feel uncomfortable and feel myself bracing for something. I mentally start planning my defensive action.

taz

Feb 18, 2015
Dogs there either a fashion item or a substitute child, just keep your bum sniffing little mutt away from my shoes, I don't care if lovely little boy is only being friendly he stinks!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

You could ask the same question for a number of things that lead to fatalities, people using mobiles while driving as an example. Like you say, not sure licensing helps you because the ones you’re targeting aren’t going to bother.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Dogs there either a fashion item or a substitute child, just keep your bum sniffing little mutt away from my shoes, I don't care if lovely little boy is only being friendly he stinks!
I've got a dog and I generally go by the premise that this is how everyone else feels, so do cross roads to avoid people, don't let him go up to anyone and give people a wide berth.

Don't worry, those type of dog owners that go 'it's okay they're friendly' are just as annoying to you as they are other dog owners!

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
yes absolutely licence all dogs. these licencing laws need to be much stricter too.

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
I'm not too sure what benefit a dog license would have as you need them microchipped and tagged already. If a dog has attacked another dog or person they are usually rounded up and dealt with pretty quickly. Sheep worrying is another matter as the offending dog is often unidentified.

Looking after a dog is down to common sense. Keep them on leads in town, in a pub and anywhere near farm animals. Don't leave them alone with children etc etc. The trouble is, some people just can't anticipate potential problems and they don't think their dogs are capable of misbehaving.

The dog walking community is generally self policed but what happens behind closed garden gates can't be controlled, even with legislation and licenses.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I’ve had a dog all my life. Never understood why they got rid of licenses for them. People have to be responsible for their dog and it might make a few of them think twice before taking a dog they can’t cope with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here