Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does Tony Bloom have enough confidence in OG to give him the budget he requires....

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yes, but David Burke manages the playing budget. And from what has happened this year with transfers out etc, I doubt that we have spent it all and many are expecting a decent war chest for the summer.

I would certainly hope we haven't spent it all, and get to carry some into next season, as the alternative, that this squad is a more expensive one than last season beggars belief tbh.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I would certainly hope we haven't spent it all, and get to carry some into next season, as the alternative, that this squad is a more expensive one than last season beggars belief tbh.

Obviously we don't know for sure, but we supposedly had 1.1m to spend on Grabban and we got 3m+ from Barnes and Bridcutt and the only new outlay is Lingard, so I would expect there to be a decent sized pot for the summer!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Am I imagining it, or did TB tell us at the start of the season that "Oscar has a small increase in playing budget, compared with last season."?

The issue is what TB, DB, PB, or whoever includes in what they term the 'playing budget'. If it's just the wages of players, and the add-ons (such as dividing the cost of Ulloa's c£2m transfer fee over four seasons), then this doesn't include money accrued from transfers (Bridcutt, Barnes).

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The issue is what TB, DB, PB, or whoever includes in what they term the 'playing budget'. If it's just the wages of players, and the add-ons (such as dividing the cost of Ulloa's c£2m transfer fee over four seasons), then this doesn't include money accrued from transfers (Bridcutt, Barnes).

My understanding, from snippets from the past, is that it includes transfers as well (there used to be separate pots for wages and transfers, which was blamed as the reason why we could not up our offer to Murray, and this was changed after that). But this is a vaguely educated guess, but I see no reason why it would not include transfers. Also in my reasoning is that PB and DB operate separate budgets, so by rights transfer money coming in belongs in DB's pot.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Even if it's just wages, the figures being talked about on here that were going to the likes of Vicente and Bridge a year ago, haven't been replaced.

Either we didn't really have a higher playing budget (with some creative accounting) or we simply haven't spent it. I just hope it's the latter, and it rolls over into Oscars budget for next season, as he'll need it.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Problem is, do they strike often enough compared to many other club's strikers?

Problem is, do we present them regularly enough with the kind of service of clubs strikers receive?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No you didn't imagine it - begs the question, WTF have we spent it on this year?

I think that playing budget includes contract amortisation. The money spent on a transfer isn't all counted in that season's budget. So, in effect, this season we have had to pay 1/4 of Ulloa's transfer fee, 1/4 of CMS's, 1/3 of Hoskins amongst others signed in the past 2-3 seasons.

Wages are a bigger factor anyway.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Bloom wants us to be self sufficient AND he wants to see a return on his investment. I know we overdo the gambling / poker metaphors but I really would expect some speculation since the way to achieve ROI is to get in the Premier League. We should expect a similar measured budget with David Burke bringing in "matches" for those who leave. Whether this will be good enough is a whole other thread.

I fear the only way Bloom will get a return on his investment is by selling the club complete with training ground and stadium. Promotion to the premiership and all its money will not in itself provide him with a return as the costs of players and wages at that level are so high. If he does have a gamble it would be to get us in the premiership to ensure an easy sale.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I fear the only way Bloom will get a return on his investment is by selling the club complete with training ground and stadium. Promotion to the premiership and all its money will not in itself provide him with a return as the costs of players and wages at that level are so high. If he does have a gamble it would be to get us in the premiership to ensure an easy sale.

Palace's promotion was estimated to be worth £145 million and that's with a smaller ground and more limited marketing opportunities. A self sufficient side playing in middle of the Premier League would certainly start giving him some of his money back. The ideal model of course would be to go up, then down, then up again banking the parachute payments but, in the real world you wouldn't do that. The Championship is a money pit. We can't and won't spend recklessly to get out of it and yet we need to get out of it. That's quite a juggling act.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
You've been on NSC for several years now and, with almost 3000 posts, you should be fully aware of the club's thinking on FFP. So why do you post a question like this that you must know the answer to?

It's not inconceivable Jim that we will spend that kind of money, especially bearing in mind some of the existing squad will be sold or released generating the budget for next season. The question I am posing is Tony prepared to allow OG the opportunity to spend said funds. Perfectly reasonable question I would say and certainly not one worthy of your sarcastic response.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
STRIKER? We will Ulloa, CMS probably Hoskins at the club next season and you want ANOTHER? Idiot.

Exactly the same as this season. 1 of those strikers (Hoskins) is a permanent sicknote, CMS is coming back off a long lay off through injury and Ulloa could well leave at the end of the season. So yes a striker is definitely required.

Who's the idiot now then you dickhead?

BHAWise

Oct 5, 2011
Seaford
Agustine wages, Andrews loan fee plus wages,ward loan fee plus wages, buckleys new contract wage increase. Lingard loan fee plus wages. D rod signing on fee plus wages. Obika loan fee plus wages, lita loan fee plus wages all probably adds to more spent than last season?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think the real question is; Does Oscar have enough confidence in the club to get him the players he requires....?

There have been FFP reasons for tightening the purse strings this season and whilst we have had a number of players in a contract to the end of the season, we have not been able to bring anymore in because of these committed costs.

With the savings we have made this year, plus next years budget, money made from Bridcutt and Barnes, and the freeing up of contracts in the summer, I would expect good money to be spent on good signings next season.

I can see good reason why the club have had to be tight and cautious this season, due to many circumstances, but next season Oscar needs more from them.

If we are going to help Oscar next season the way he has not been helped this season, he will be the one needing answers from the club, not the other way around.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Agustine wages, Andrews loan fee plus wages,ward loan fee plus wages, buckleys new contract wage increase. Lingard loan fee plus wages. D rod signing on fee plus wages. Obika loan fee plus wages, lita loan fee plus wages all probably adds to more spent than last season?

Plus Stephens.....less sales of Barnes Bridcuttt and El Abd

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
It's not inconceivable Jim that we will spend that kind of money, especially bearing in mind some of the existing squad will be sold or released generating the budget for next season. The question I am posing is Tony prepared to allow OG the opportunity to spend said funds. Perfectly reasonable question I would say and certainly not one worthy of your sarcastic response.

OK, let's try and reason this out.....
1. are you expecting us to spend between £7.5 and £10 Million on transfer fees or fees + wages?
Let's suppose we're spending it all on transfers (£9 Million) and each is a 4 year deal - that makes about £2.25m per year out of the budget
At those prices I doubt we'd be paying less than £10k per week each in wages - so £50K per week in total (£2.5M per year).
2. What will we do with the existing players in these positions? Will we need to retain any as cover? Let's assume that we'll get a new striker to replace Lingard and a new LB to replace Ward, release Bruno and retain the AM (Orlandi?) and CB (Greer?). That could save us about £20K per week (£1m per year) making an overall increase of £3.75M.
3. Let's also assume that we'll be reducing headcount by letting a few go (Lopez, Rodriguez, Andrews being the most costly) at a total of another £20K per week (£1M per year) - this get's us down to an overspend of £2.75M on this year's amount.
4. In July the FFP rules require further savings of £3M more on the previous years overspends. So, we could be missing that target by some distance (£5.75 m). I don't know how much we've made in transfer dealings - and we've spent some of it on Stevens - but I would guess at £3M. This will still leave us well above the level required.

I wasn't being sarcastic, just expressing surprise that you weren't aware of the constraints that we were working within.

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
If Bloom doesn't have enough 'confidence' in OG on all aspects of his role with the team, then why on earth is he our head coach....?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here