Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does god EXIST?

pea

Dec 28, 2011
North Laine
So what you are saying essentially is that because scientists haven't yet decoded the universe (and beyond) then we should revert to following the rehashed ramblings of a deluded man who may or may not have lived 2000 years ago? Yeah, makes complete sense.

Or, what we could do is keep searching, keep questioning, keep studying, stay open minded and see where it takes us. Just a thought.

Not at all, its the people who don't search, don't question, don't study and don't stay open minded that I don't understand. They just reject the concept of God outright and label themselves 'atheist'. I don't understand how you can take that position without an alternative explanation.

If someone is open minded and questions these sorts of things but currently doesn't believe that there is a case for a God then fair play to them, the explanations for the universe involving got comply to scientific method no more than multiverse theory or any other alternative I've been told. But its when people reject the notion of a God and try and use science as an alternative that I* don't quite understand, because as it stands science doesn't have an alternative explanation. Even Richard Dawkins accepts the possibility of there being a God, even though he sees it as being extremely unlikely.

*note that this is merely my personal view, and I understand others are wired differently and wouldn't necessarily see things in the same way or feel the need to rationalise their own beliefs in the way some of us do.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Serious question for any of the believers.

South America is predominantly Catholic as it was colonized by the Spanish and Portugese. Would it have been Catholic if it had it been colonized by one of the Arabian countries? No, it would be Islamic. Had it been the Chinese it would be Taoist or Buddhist. You can see where this is going cant you. Religion is just adopted like the language, belief doesn’t enter into it.

This is what makes religion seem such nonsense to me. Once you apply any logic it disappears in a puff of smoke.

I personally don't subscribe to religion, it is very easy to pick holes in .

pea

Dec 28, 2011
North Laine
Serious question for any of the believers.

South America is predominantly Catholic as it was colonized by the Spanish and Portugese. Would it have been Catholic if it had it been colonized by one of the Arabian countries? No, it would be Islamic. Had it been the Chinese it would be Taoist or Buddhist. You can see where this is going cant you. Religion is just adopted like the language, belief doesn’t enter into it.

This is what makes religion seem such nonsense to me. Once you apply any logic it disappears in a puff of smoke.

Religion is nonsense, Christian religion is even more nonsense given that the biblical description of Jesus' shows him spending most his time criticising the religious and telling them they've got it wrong.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
There is no evidence for any of the theories of existence, all of them require faith - just as believing that there is no God requires faith.

In my opinion it's best to be open minded.

So it's about blind faith? No evidence it's real you just believe it in it anyway and if you don't that it's a positive decision as well.
I don't believe in anything until I have evidence, that means with religion and god I don't believe because I have not seen the evidence yet, I am waiting. Not believing in something is not about about having faith in a negative it's about waiting to find the evidence.
If you show me evidence of God/religion I could well believe in it but as far as I can see there in not a single piece of evidence, same as believing in fairies or ghosts! What's the difference?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not at all, its the people who don't search, don't question, don't study and don't stay open minded that I don't understand. They just reject the concept of God outright and label themselves 'atheist'. I don't understand how you can take that position without an alternative explanation.

first of all, again what god, what is the concept? secondly do you have an alternative explaination of a Unicorn? do you see the point here, what do you have to explain as a consequence of rejecting the existance of gods?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
So god made something physical happen? Something that nothing else could have possibly caused

I have had many experiences not physical but such strong sensations/feelings that they were felt by me as being stronger than if someone physical had touched me.

Most of my experiences have been in consciousness so I'm not going to be able to provide you with the evidence you obviously require.

You don't have to believe me, it doesn't bother me but also you have no chance of persuading me otherwise as the experiences have been so numerous and so definite that there is no doubt in my mind.

I have had many experiences not physical but such strong sensations/feelings that they were felt by me as being stronger than if someone physical had touched me.

Most of my experiences have been in consciousness so I'm not going to be able to provide you with the evidence you obviously require.

You don't have to believe me, it doesn't bother me but also you have no chance of persuading me otherwise as the experiences have been so numerous and so definite that there is no doubt in my mind.

I think the Catholic church now pays out compensation for those types of experiences, you might want to go and consult a lawyer.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Comparing the existence of God to the existence of a unicorn is very different, because an omnipotent deity is a theory of all existence, whereas a unicorn is a fairytale horse.

I think the point he is making is that the theory of God explains everything from the existence of the universe to the origin of life - and there aren't many alternative theories for this.

So the bible says the earth is 5000 years old but science tells us it is very much older, we are still supposed to believe the bible is the correct and only alternative to the existence of the universe and the origin of life?

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
The bible, along with the quran, in all probability are completely man-made books - or at the very least corrupted my man over time for political means. If it were indisputably proven that they were man-made, it would not falsify the theory of God being the creator of everything.

So if the bible does not tell the truth about how God created the universe and man what does?
Why do so many of faith really believe that dinosaurs wore saddles?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Comparing the existence of God to the existence of a unicorn is very different, because an omnipotent deity is a theory of all existence, whereas a unicorn is a fairytale horse.

I think the point he is making is that the theory of God explains everything from the existence of the universe to the origin of life - and there aren't many alternative theories for this.

its no different. he hasnt defined what god is. in Beorhthelmism the Unicorn created the world by sheding a hair then created life on it by using her horn cast a spell to create man and all the flora and fauna. rubbish? fair play you have at least defined something, that your god is omnipotent, but there are many problems with this definition.

the point im trying to make is that without some definition around "god" one has little to debate as it easily gets bounced off onto non-theological ground. such as evolution, theory of existance etc. Science is actually very good at explaination (its kinda the whole point of it) and can do so rather well right up to the singularity of the big bang. at this point it fails, and acknowledges this. the "theory of God" i assume means the Abrahamic one, and its a bit shit at the existance thing and very very poor at the how we got from there (where ever that is) to here. a great deal of assumptions are made, few defined.

see this wonders off the core subject, does god exist.

Last edited:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I think the Catholic church now pays out compensation for those types of experiences, you might want to go and consult a lawyer.

Did you read my post and just see Blah Blah Blah because your attempt at a joke had no relevance to what I said. Or are the Catholic church paying compensation for spiritual experiences?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here