Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Does anything good ever happen when we start Welbeck and Ferguson together?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I just don't get it. Teams that play two strikers up front, expecially two tall strikers, tend to be playing long balls for knock downs or go wide and sling crosses in. Seems totally alien to our style.

We're half an hour in and we've had two good chances for strikers, ball over the top from Dunk, and a headed cross from Veltman, each ideal for a striker, and they both fell to March. So we have two big strikers on and they're not even getting our chances. Surely the extra midfielder would help?

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
They have barely had any opportunity to get involved. Villa have been snubbing us out in mid field. Mitoma & Solly have had the best opportunities. Solly fluffed the only two real chances we’ve had. (Lack of game time for him.)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They have barely had any opportunity to get involved. Villa have been snubbing us out in mid field. Mitoma & Solly have had the best opportunities. Solly fluffed the only two real chances we’ve had. (Lack of game time for him.)
Apart from the one where Estupinan was in behind, and shot straight at the keeper?

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
To my mind, Evan would ideally be coming on as a 2nd half sub after opposition defences have been chasing Fati and Pedro (or Adringa) for all of the first half and fifteen minutes of the second.

I love Welbeck, but personally I want him used as an alternative Ferguson rather than an alternative Pedro/Fati.

That’s my tuppence worth, but as has been proven multiple times. I know nothing about football.

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
And there is the problem as you put it being snubbed out in midfield
Last season Mc and Moises
Billy and Hinch today
I understand players are injured but with them 2 in there McGinn has had a field day
Need more in there

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
We’re a better team with Fati or Pedro at ten, neither Ferguson nor Welbeck have the reactions or guile

Salty_Seagull

Quality over quantity
Jul 2, 2015
Brighton/Hove
I was just about to start this exact thread. This game, West Ham, and Bournemouth we've started with them both. They are both 9s and can't play together. We need a pacy 10 off one of them, ie, Fati or Pedro.

Baffling decisions, especially against Villa who play the high line. Look how much better we were in the second half vs Bournemouth and against Villa here. We needed that pace in behind.

I'd marry RDZ in a heart beat but the decision to start Welbz and Ferg together will constantly give me an aneurysm

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
We need Ferguson in the top half of the pitch.

Big miss up there when he has to drop deep, Joao is good at that but would rather keep Fergie higher up the pitch where he can score good goals but also poach which is bread and butter.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
Welbeck at CAM just needs to stop. He’s not good there and doesn’t work back anywhere near enough to support the other midfielders.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Seems to me it wasn’t too bad last season. We don’t have Caicedo and Mac any more though. Works much better when Fati plays as he naturally drops deep. Might as well have 9 men out there when we set up like we did at the start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here