Does anyone have mental health problems?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Each of us needs to be looking our for family, friends and neighbours this Winter IMHO. BBC appears to have taken over the Daily Express role of relentlessly scaring vulnerable old people

and Sky.

An example, relentlessly taking estimates of home energy bills from 1st Jan 2023 as red and bypassing the lower monthly cost now and admittedly awful figure from 1st Oct. Embedding for those unable to take this logically, that we're all suffering £370 per month right now. Ignoring the £650 and £400 aid already coming and any other help tba in two weeks time.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Yesterday I was on NSC and felt terribly down and anxious. My comments may have inflamed, irritated and annoyed posters. That was never my intention but I feel I should explain and apologise.

I'm one of those people that follows the news very closely and all the bad things happening in the world right now. I feel sad for the people of Ukraine (that feeling has been ongoing for a few months), I mentioned the Liverpool shooting of the young girl that sadly lost her life but the one thing that is getting me sick with worry are the heating bills that may come to £3-4k this winter. I don't have that sort of money to pay and look after my elderly father in comfort. As we head towards autumn the scaremongering of the media seems as though it's intensifying to a level that is causing me panic attacks. I know everyone is in the same boat with the gas bills that will be sky high but I'm going to be put out of work soon due to staff cutbacks and my company suffering with the country on the brink of a recession. I go to bed at night and wish I won't wake up so that my problems will be over. That is incredibly selfish to my family and I feel dreadful saying it but I am making myself ill with worry about my savings being wiped out by a potentially very cold winter and seeing a figure of money that is just too much. I've thought about not putting on the heating this winter in my home but it could finish off my dad. I cannot do that.

I was just wondering if anybody else has these crippling anxiety worries and what advice they could give me? I couldn't face court if the bills don't get paid but we need a government to reassure people that there will be time and maybe allowances for those that don't have a lot of money.

Thanks in advance for advice and emotional support. Things are just getting too much that I can't cope. I'm going to take some time away from NSC as my worries can be misconstrued as digs towards other posters at times - they're not. I just feel so useless at the moment.

Stay strong Duriston, bad times will always pass. Much love from Shingle family.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Yesterday I was on NSC and felt terribly down and anxious. My comments may have inflamed, irritated and annoyed posters. That was never my intention but I feel I should explain and apologise.

I'm one of those people that follows the news very closely and all the bad things happening in the world right now. I feel sad for the people of Ukraine (that feeling has been ongoing for a few months), I mentioned the Liverpool shooting of the young girl that sadly lost her life but the one thing that is getting me sick with worry are the heating bills that may come to £3-4k this winter. I don't have that sort of money to pay and look after my elderly father in comfort. As we head towards autumn the scaremongering of the media seems as though it's intensifying to a level that is causing me panic attacks. I know everyone is in the same boat with the gas bills that will be sky high but I'm going to be put out of work soon due to staff cutbacks and my company suffering with the country on the brink of a recession. I go to bed at night and wish I won't wake up so that my problems will be over. That is incredibly selfish to my family and I feel dreadful saying it but I am making myself ill with worry about my savings being wiped out by a potentially very cold winter and seeing a figure of money that is just too much. I've thought about not putting on the heating this winter in my home but it could finish off my dad. I cannot do that.

I was just wondering if anybody else has these crippling anxiety worries and what advice they could give me? I couldn't face court if the bills don't get paid but we need a government to reassure people that there will be time and maybe allowances for those that don't have a lot of money.

Thanks in advance for advice and emotional support. Things are just getting too much that I can't cope. I'm going to take some time away from NSC as my worries can be misconstrued as digs towards other posters at times - they're not. I just feel so useless at the moment.

I'm one of those annoying people that reads without logging in (I only do that as I know people that read this site). I saw what you wrote & I can't understand why you're apologising. Don't ever feel bad for pointing out that things aren't the same for everyone. :) We're all guilty of generalisation & not thinking of individuals circumstances & it becomes more obvious on a forum & not everybody is in the same boat. A lot of us are going to be absolutely stuffed with the price rises so you're not alone with worrying. I know a few people, that like you, don't want to wake up in the morning. As [MENTION=1694]shingle[/MENTION] says it will pass however much you don't believe it at the moment, it will. As long as you contact your utility supplier as far as I know (although I may be wrong) they can't take you to court & even if they did you wouldn't have to 'face them'. There will also be a massive queue of people before you that are in court for the same thing. No one can take what you haven't got. Try not to think too far forward, things can change very quickly. Use the practical advice that people have given about just going out & getting fresh air, it's a cliché, but its a cliché because it's true. Also explain to others how you're feeling, keeping stress to yourself doesn't help & leads to people around you getting the wrong idea. Take care & don't feel useless about things that are beyond your control. :thumbsup:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I just want to say a huge thanks to everyone who posted support when I was going through a very difficult time a few weeks ago. I feel a lot better now and that's due to some amazing people on here and some responsibility being taken off my shoulders. Since I've been off NSC posting, the news has been bad again (The Queen passing away and Graham Potter bloody leaving). I have no control over the news and am learning to limit myself to reading it on the internet. My stress levels have receded thankfully.

As with the anti-depressants thread, the saying of it's ok not to feel ok rings so true. This thread has been such a big help and I hope so much it helps others going through rough times in the future. Thanks so much to [MENTION=17215]Sussex Nomad[/MENTION] for starting this thread.

Thanks to all who have posted on this thread - the phrase "a problem shared is a problem halved" springs to mind. I have been on anti depressants for the past 12 or so years - Citalopran initially but recently changed to Sertraline which seems to help.

My main issue is "catastrophising" - basically worrying about things that mostly never happen. Youngest is off to Uni shortly, oldest is quite content (currently) to stay at home, studying and working a few days a week. Both good girls but am not looking forward to an "empty nest" in the not too far distant future.

I wish you all well with your own issues and hope for a good run of results to cheer us all up!

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Be intrigued to hear yours (and others) thoughts on the different tablets. I was on Sertraline but now on Escilitopram but unsure which is best. The sertraline made me very zoned out so came off that. Best of luck to all.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Today marks World Mental Health Day.

There was an appearance on Radio 4's Today programme by ex-chancellor Sajid Javid talking about his brother, Tariq, committing suicide in July 2018. He was tortured by the fact that he could have done something to save his life. "One day he was there, the next he was gone". Very brave to speak out so publicly about the pain he has suffered.

I didn't want to start yet another thread about mental health (not that there's anything wrong with that). If you feel like you're in trouble there are a number of services that can help you and I was lucky enough to speak to a nurse (booked a fortnight ago) this morning face-to-face about my anxiety and ways of eradicating it. One of the kindest people I have ever met. There is always a solution - of living and knowing that things will get better.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I'm currently reading a book by Trudy Scott called The Anti Anxiety Food Solution. I was very shocked to read that in her clinic she found the majority of her clients who suffered from anxiety, depression and mood issues were affected by gluten - and when gluten was cut out these issues improved hugely. I'm always very interested in food and mood so I'm shocked enough to try a two week gluten free period to see if there any changes for me.

Smillie's People

Aug 14, 2013
I'm currently reading a book by Trudy Scott called The Anti Anxiety Food Solution. I was very shocked to read that in her clinic she found the majority of her clients who suffered from anxiety, depression and mood issues were affected by gluten - and when gluten was cut out these issues improved hugely. I'm always very interested in food and mood so I'm shocked enough to try a two week gluten free period to see if there any changes for me.

This could be right, I had been feeling down on Saturday, but went out and bought a large shish kebab with loads of salad, I hadn't had any lamb for months. Delicious. Dunno if it had gluten but it was really tasty.

Worried about whether chocolate has gluten, though...

Smillie's People

Aug 14, 2013
Thanks to all who have posted on this thread - the phrase "a problem shared is a problem halved" springs to mind. I have been on anti depressants for the past 12 or so years - Citalopran initially but recently changed to Sertraline which seems to help.

My main issue is "catastrophising" - basically worrying about things that mostly never happen. Youngest is off to Uni shortly, oldest is quite content (currently) to stay at home, studying and working a few days a week. Both good girls but am not looking forward to an "empty nest" in the not too far distant future.

I wish you all well with your own issues and hope for a good run of results to cheer us all up!

If you want to relate to issues which prove totally irrelevant in world terms, try reading the latest ed of "Steam Railway" Norman. Endless pages about whether one mangled old steam loco which has not run for 60 years nearly, should be carved up or not. Mind you I always hated GWR fanatics:lolol:

If you want to relate to issues which prove totally irrelevant in world terms, try reading the latest ed of "Steam Railway" Norman. Endless pages about whether one mangled old steam loco which has not run for 60 years nearly, should be carved up or not. Mind you I always hated GWR fanatics:lolol:
😀 :thumbsup:
.......you got me there - would be nice to see a replica 4700 running though or even the loco in my avatar - I am sure you can tell me its name and number :)

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

There was an appearance on Radio 4's Today programme by ex-chancellor Sajid Javid talking about his brother, Tariq, committing suicide in July 2018. He was tortured by the fact that he could have done something to save his life. "One day he was there, the next he was gone". Very brave to speak out so publicly about the pain he has suffered.

I didn't want to start yet another thread about mental health (not that there's anything wrong with that). If you feel like you're in trouble there are a number of services that can help you and I was lucky enough to speak to a nurse (booked a fortnight ago) this morning face-to-face about my anxiety and ways of eradicating it. One of the kindest people I have ever met. There is always a solution - of living and knowing that things will get better.

Trish Goddard on TalkTV Sat/Sun afternoons is amazing, she more often than not covers mental health. A special topic to her after one of her sisters lost her life through a connected issue.

Yesterday they discussed people close to suicide and what to do.

Molly Russell's dad is an amazing person. Interviewed last week on BBC Breakfast, his advice is not just to ask loved ones "Are you alright?" which just generates a possibly faux "Yes", but to enquire "What's wrong?".

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Further to your other post about listening to the News and it getting you down. I used to listen to The Today Programme on Radio 4 every morning before work. Then usually PM in the evening.
I found myself getting so angry and anxious about everything that I got myself in a right state, having largely been making progress on my mental health in recent years.

I took the decision to listen to Radio 3 in the mornings (just like I do late at night) and ditch listening to PM in the evenings. The calmness it brought me has been really really helpful and my anger and anxiety levels have reduced as a result. I still have lots of other things going on outside of my control that have adverse affects on my mental health, but stepping back from daily focusing on 'News' stories has been transformative.

A friend, who in all honesty I feel takes a bit of an Ostrich approach, said he had to do it that way. He claims 'News' coverage is primarily there to spread fear and anxiety in people, and I tend to agree. However, I still wish to remain 'informed' to some degree and I'm equally scared of a population on Soma. It's at this point that probably the famous Serenity Prayer comes into its own.

Good luck on your journey.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just want to say thank you for posting that, great advice.
I get claustrophobic. I feel very uncomfortable in a room full of people (especially if they're all talking). I can't imagine what it feels like not to be able to leave the house.

I will try to converse with strangers or loose acquaintances at receptions and the like, but after 5 minutes I am always the only person in the room not chatting with anyone. I gather this is due to my being on the aspergers/autism spectrum. I overcompensate for my total lack of small talk by being too intense/weird/intimidating. I find it slightly amusing, now, if I'm honest, watching people back away as if I'm about to perform a urethroscopy on them, or suddenly pretend to spot an old and dear friend on the other side of the room, and leg it :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

How's it going? I have largely cut out gluten owing to my guts. Don't know if it has affected my head, but the last couple of years have been too turbulent for weak signals to be detectable, I suspect.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Further to your other post about listening to the News and it getting you down. I used to listen to The Today Programme on Radio 4 every morning before work. Then usually PM in the evening.
I found myself getting so angry and anxious about everything that I got myself in a right state, having largely been making progress on my mental health in recent years.

I took the decision to listen to Radio 3 in the mornings (just like I do late at night) and ditch listening to PM in the evenings. The calmness it brought me has been really really helpful and my anger and anxiety levels have reduced as a result. I still have lots of other things going on outside of my control that have adverse affects on my mental health, but stepping back from daily focusing on 'News' stories has been transformative.

A friend, who in all honesty I feel takes a bit of an Ostrich approach, said he had to do it that way. He claims 'News' coverage is primarily there to spread fear and anxiety in people, and I tend to agree. However, I still wish to remain 'informed' to some degree and I'm equally scared of a population on Soma. It's at this point that probably the famous Serenity Prayer comes into its own.

Good luck on your journey.

I heavily censor my own exposure to the news, enough to know what's going on, but that's it. Being told every 30 minutes on R5 about xxxxxxxx atrocities, is no good to anyone's mind.

'They' very rarely mention happy events, all the good that countless millions are doing each day to help others.

Ironically, the people who want to hear about Putin's genocide machine or wildlife destruction, 25 times a day, know no more than I do.

My other therapy is to support a whole load of charities directly (no middlemen creaming off a %age) plus I do tons to help wildlife and clear litter. Giving me a feeling of making a positive difference to the world. It helps me.

I have to be a dab hand at the remote control and radio changing buttons :)

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I will try to converse with strangers or loose acquaintances at receptions and the like, but after 5 minutes I am always the only person in the room not chatting with anyone. I gather this is due to my being on the aspergers/autism spectrum. I overcompensate for my total lack of small talk by being too intense/weird/intimidating. I find it slightly amusing, now, if I'm honest, watching people back away as if I'm about to perform a urethroscopy on them, or suddenly pretend to spot an old and dear friend on the other side of the room, and leg it :lolol:

I recognize so much of that in my own interactions with people , i feel clumsy worded and bound to say the wrong thing or worse , something inappropriate . Before i was diagnosed i used to come across as rude - clumsy - or even aggressive , so i made a conscious effort to almost analyse everything i was going to say before i said it . Boy is that hard and non rewarding , there will always be someone looking to be offended , and with my "problem" i couldn`t recognize it ....i still can`t . The worst thing is over trying to be "nice" , that can be as bad , i havn`t figured it out yet and doubt i ever will . Such is life Harry as i`m sure you know , all the best .

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
It was 6 years last Friday since I stood on the edge of the main road in Worthing working out which car to throw myself in front of.

As low as things get, as bad as they seem, there is help and you can get through it.

Anyone on NSC struggling please contact me, we can talk, and it’s a huge step forward ❤️

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I recognize so much of that in my own interactions with people , i feel clumsy worded and bound to say the wrong thing or worse , something inappropriate . Before i was diagnosed i used to come across as rude - clumsy - or even aggressive , so i made a conscious effort to almost analyse everything i was going to say before i said it . Boy is that hard and non rewarding , there will always be someone looking to be offended , and with my "problem" i couldn`t recognize it ....i still can`t . The worst thing is over trying to be "nice" , that can be as bad , i havn`t figured it out yet and doubt i ever will . Such is life Harry as i`m sure you know , all the best .

That's absolutely it. In my case, several disciplinary hearings at work for causing offense. Broken relationships....still, I'm an optimist. I now park conflict for 24 hours (if I remember to do so - ahem). I consider that even though I know I'm right.....I may not be.....and so on.

All the best :thumbsup:

PM me if you ever feel the need.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports