Does anyone ever fall for these?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Devon Seagull

Sep 25, 2004
South Devon
If your interested in scammers have a look at 419baiter.com . these guys actual lead on the scammers even getting them to travel thousands of miles! some of the stories and email trails are really funny.

Recently I've had 'job offers' that are too good to be true, from supposed companies I haven't applied to.
Checking the existence, I have found locations on google maps, but not the company names.
They are emails, and they ask for a CV - so they'll have loads more info on me as well as knowing my email address exists.

I believe an old associate has a virus sending out all their contact email addresses, as I have had several dodgy emails from her source listing many from her address book.

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
I had an e-mail some time ago from a lovely Russian girl who's mother was quite ill. I just hadn't realised until then how expensive some medicines are in that country. I haven't heard from her for a while.I have been worrying that her mother might not have got better.

That is an amazing coincidence! My new Russian girlfriend (who I happened to meet by e-mail) also has a very sick mother. I told her that once I get the 40% share of the $10,500,000 that Dr. Ugumbo has promised me then I will be able to really help.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I have advised Mr Zongo that we have a deal if the split is 60/40 in my favour, he will realise that he has met his match,there are no flies on me but you can see where they have been.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Got this one today:

Subject: Information for Un-Claimed Inheritance Fund
Date: 3 August 2011 20:55:52 BST
Reply-To: johnsonpeterson@globomail.com

Hope this email gets to you as it is the third time I am sending it to you.

I have tried without success to locate either your contact address or phone number and as such I resorted to email which is an unconventional way of relaying an important message such as this.

We are conducting a standard process investigation/Recommendation on behalf of African Development Bank Group (ADB), The African Investment Banking Conglomerate.

This investigation is about an account holder (Name Withheld) who bears same surname with you and the circumstances surrounding his investments at ADB Invest Account, the Investment arm of African Development Bank Group. The ADB Private Investment client died intestate and nominated no successor in title over his investments made at the bank amounting to over 7,000,000 in United States currency. The essence of this communication is to request that you provide us information/comments on any or all of the four issues as regards nominating you to inherit the fund left behind by this client.

Your answers and response(s) to the questions raised below will determine our recommendation to the ADB towards legally appointing you to inherit this investment fund after certified investigation has yielded results showing that there is no known relation of the deceased client.

1-Are you aware of any relative/relation born on the 2nd of February 1951, who bears your same surname whose last known contact address was Angola?

2-Are you aware of any investment of considerable value made by such a person at the ADB Bank Group?

3-Can you confirm your willingness to accept this inheritance if you are legally and legitimately appointed.

4-Would you agree to donate part of this inheritance to charity if you are officially approved to stand as the inheritor?

It is pertinent that you inform us ASAP whether or not you are familiar with this personality or and your interest towards the issues mentioned.

You must appreciate that we are constrained from providing you with more detailed information at this point. We will provide you with additional information upon receipt of your response.

Thank you for accommodating our inquiries.

Yours sincerely,

Mr. Johnson Peterson.

Partner-in-Charge J. Peterson Consults Inc)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Unfortunately there are some people who fall for these scams but on the other hand it's not that easy to feel much sympathy as the respondent is merely acting out of personal greed.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I keep getting notifications of a tax refund due to me from the UK Government, which is a bit strange, as I haven't lived in the UK for almost 10 years, don't work so don't pay tax. I'm really in a quandry as to whether to claim my tax refund, then I can help all those poor people around the world, who email me, begging for my help with their sick relatives.

As an aside, a rather daring friend of mine decided to follow up on one of these Nigerian (etc) multi-zillion-dollar emails. He had to arrange to meet them in a London hotel, where they would be staying for a month, and my friend would pay the month's hotel bill, including all food. He would also set up a bank account, deposit about £2,000 in it and it would be accessible by the Nigerians (etc). Needless to say, my friend decided not to do business with them, didn't book the hotel and didn't plonk 2k in a nice new bank account for them. Not only is it all a con, but it seems to be a way for illegals to set up home in the UK with a bit of a starter fund, then disappear after a month. I don't know what the web sites say about these scams, but this was my friend's experience.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I had a long lost great uncle or something who apparently disappeared years ago and has since turned up dead in China of all places. Leaving an eastate worth millions, its laughable

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
What about the fools who fell for the scam about investing in a footie club - only to find they had bought CPFC.....

How stupid can some people get - they won't see that money again.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I digress on this story a bit, but I once got a phone call from some twat telling me I had won some competition that I hadn't even entered and that he wanted to personally deliver my prize to me. Thought I best think quick on my feet in order to screw the scamming bastard instead of just putting the phone down on him. Acted well over the moon that I'd won something, gave him a bogus address some 50 miles away from me and further away for him. So he drove there, phoned me and said he couldn't find the address, so I happily told him there was no such address and I lived nowhere near there. He was kind of miffed, but I pointed out to him he was trying to con me so I'd have some fun at his expense. He sounded quite deflated and admitted he was just trying to sell some shit to me after I asked him several times. Job well done that was!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Mr Zongo helped me to win the Ivorian Lottery

Wow, what are the chances, I've won the Nigerian Lottery! Cool.

I've sent the money across the cover the administration and stuff, which does seem a bit expensive, but seeing as I've got MILL-YONS on the way to me, then that's nothing to worry about is it?

Marvellous scenes.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
I once had some guy call at my door. He had a prize of a 42" LCD TV to give away, and he had phoned the prizewinner to get his address. Turns out the other chap thought it was a scam and had made up an address some 50 miles away from where he actually lived - he had told the bloke this when he had phoned to say he could not find the address he had been given.

He had obviously been given the run around so decided to knock on the nearest door and give the prize away - to me!

The TV is fabulous.

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
:lolol:
I once had some guy call at my door. He had a prize of a 42" LCD TV to give away, and he had phoned the prizewinner to get his address. Turns out the other chap thought it was a scam and had made up an address some 50 miles away from where he actually lived - he had told the bloke this when he had phoned to say he could not find the address he had been given.

He had obviously been given the run around so decided to knock on the nearest door and give the prize away - to me!

The TV is fabulous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports