Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Does anyone else play Blossom?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Bloody smart-arse 🤣
It'll probably never happen, but the graph of improvement is currently on an upwards trajectory!

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Bloody smart-arse 🤣
I'm determined to smash the 500 barrier. I'll certainly post it here if it happens!
Today was the day … got 71 for one word using ‘s’ 7 times. But petered out and fell way short. Then I saw the possible words … missed opportunity.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Today was the day … got 71 for one word using ‘s’ 7 times. But petered out and fell way short. Then I saw the possible words … missed opportunity.

Blimey what was the word? I checked "all words" when I finished and didn't spot any megawords.

There were a couple of frustrating ones today eg. It wouldn't accept "sightings".

My best day was 488, I think. Lots of words ending -lessnesses.

Last edited:

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Blimey what was the word? I checked "all words" when I finished and didn't spot any megawords.

There were a couple of frustrating ones today eg. It wouldn't expect "sightings".

Ah, my phone was still on China time when I was doing it on the Heathrow Express earlier. You’ll see the mega word opportunity in about 90 minutes

Fill yer boots 🥳

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
It's probably been mentioned before but I wonder if anyone else does Spelling Bee from the NYT? Looks a bit similar to Blossom (which I've not tried - I will).

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It's probably been mentioned before but I wonder if anyone else does Spelling Bee from the NYT? Looks a bit similar to Blossom (which I've not tried - I will).

I've had a go at Spelling Bee. It's different to Blossom in that the objective is to get as many words as possible whereas in Blossom the aim is the highest points total with 12 words. The scoring system is also different.

The main problem with SB is once you hit a certain number of words, you have to subscribe to continue. Saying that, they do have some very good offers. A mate pays 2 Euros a month, which gets you not only access to the games but a full NYT subscription plus the Athletic.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I've had a go at Spelling Bee. It's different to Blossom in that the objective is to get as many words as possible whereas in Blossom the aim is the highest points total with 12 words. The scoring system is also different.

The main problem with SB is once you hit a certain number of words, you have to subscribe to continue. Saying that, they do have some very good offers. A mate pays 2 Euros a month, which gets you not only access to the games but a full NYT subscription plus the Athletic.
Yeah, it involves a subscription but I’m not certain how it works. I signed some sort of trial subscription to the Athletic about 6 months ago them cancelled after a month. Meanwhile I received an email saying I could access NYT puzzles and that’s continued despite me cancelling the subscription. No doubt they’ll notice at some point. Anyway Spelling Bee has quite a cult following, particularly in the US.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham

There were a couple of frustrating ones today eg. It wouldn't accept "sightings".

I tried to enter this word about 3 or 4 times thinking I'd spelt it wrong each time...

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Blossom Puzzle, September 30
Letters: C D L E N O S
My score: 507 points
My longest word: 15 letters
🌹 💮 🏵 🌺 🌻 🌸 🌷 💐 🌼 🌹 💮 🏵 🌺 🌻 🌸

Play Blossom:

Hot diggity damn. Weekend was ruined by the football but that's a shot in the arm. The old -lessnesses combo paying dividends again.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Play Blossom:

Hot diggity damn. Weekend was ruined by the football but that's a shot in the arm. The old -lessnesses combo paying dividends again.
Absolutely fantastic. Well done! I'm on it now. Half way through with 251, so on target. Not hopeful though. I'll be back later.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
My score: 450 points
💮 🌷 🌸 🌺 🌻 🌹 🌼 💐 🏵 💮 🌷 🌸 🌺 🌻 🌹

Play Blossom:

50 short of the golden target! Included 2 pancakes. I got the 71'er. Perhaps there were more?
Just looked at "All Words". AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Should have cracked the 500 today. One day?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
My score: 450 points
💮 🌷 🌸 🌺 🌻 🌹 🌼 💐 🏵 💮 🌷 🌸 🌺 🌻 🌹

Play Blossom:

50 short of the golden target! Included 2 pancakes. I got the 71'er. Perhaps there were more?
Just looked at "All Words". AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Should have cracked the 500 today. One day?

Just one panopticon for me but I also got the 71er.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Play Blossom:

Wow!

First go today and got 271, over 500 is mighty impressive

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Wow!

First go today and got 271, over 500 is mighty impressive
The degree of difficulty varies each day, so sometimes you'll get 300+ and others you won't reach 300. What you will do though, is look at "All words", and wonder how you didn't score higher!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The degree of difficulty varies each day, so sometimes you'll get 300+ and others you won't reach 300. What you will do though, is look at "All words", and wonder how you didn't score higher!
Thanks.

Does everybody get the same letters each day or is it randomised individually.

Today I had THUNDER with T in middle.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Thanks.

Does everybody get the same letters each day or is it randomised individually.

Today I had THUNDER with T in middle.
There is a good post earlier in the thread explaining the best way to get your score up. But in case you haven't spotted these yet, here's a couple:

- use the highlighted letter as often as you can in a word to get bonuses
- save a good word you think of if it has a lot of one letterm but that letter isn't currently the bonus letter
- -lessnesses at the end of any word seems to work
- don't waste goes with short words. You'll hobble your score that way.

I'm sure there are more. I do it occasionally and never use paper - just go for it. Others come back to it all day and jot down ideas before entering them into the app. Horses for courses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here