Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you want the words to Sussex by the Sea on the big screens before kick off?

Do you want the words to Sussex by the Sea on the big screens before kick off?

• Yes

Votes: 212 76.3%
  • No

Votes: 66 23.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm sure there would be endless binfests about which actual words were used though :lolol:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
c. 80% in favour at the moment is pleasing but Barber and his cronies (i.e. Paul Beirne) are such tw@ts for misreading this so badly...

People are understandably confused by thoughts of the "plasticity" associated with words on a screen at a football match but this HAS GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT ISSUE

Our club is currently undergoing a transformation from homespun with the fans in touch to absolute corporate market forces bollocks and big picture economics driving...

To make full use of "Sussex By The Sea", and the original words, to foster an old fashioned pride in our club and connection to our roots is so blindingly obviously a massive opportunity it is crushingly frustrating that a Tottenham "suit" like Barber is making key decisions based on hopelessly flawed information.

Sussex By The Sea pre kick off is currently a bit crap. The away fans are barely aware it is happening or of any significance.

FFS PLEASE CAN IT BE GIVEN PROPER PRIORITY AND BE SORTED OUT?

Crucially, who are the real Brighton fans who have any influence? (apart from Tony Bloom, who I suspect is a bit of a pragmatist in personality terms and not really in tune with the more emotive feelings of the "terraces"...)

Wow, that's a bit strong isn't it. FWIW I am fully in favour of having the words on screen and agree it should be a centrepiece of the pre-match experience. However the fault for it not currently being so already lies with the supporters who cannot be bothered to learn the song in the first place. This is just seems another opportunity to slag off Barber (who is actually doing his job!) and Bierne who is just starting his for pretty much no reason.

It's the non singers and those who prefer the der der der version who are too blame for the current state of Sussex By The Sea at the moment not the club. That said I would like the club to put the words on the screen at the south end as it would make it easier for people to join in. Once it was up and running then the video prompt would become unnecessary.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
No other team I know of sings or uses the tune of SBTS. This is ours - it's our heritage, it should be our pride. Get the words up on the screen, belt it out, get behind the team and turn the AMEX into an intimidating arena for any team, big or small, to visit.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I was going to say that the fans that don't know the words probably wont be back next season but it seems that many long term fans don't know them either. It's been a crap season anyway, why not put them on the screen for the rest of the season. Away fans will take the piss but they should be drowned out either by the music or the fans singing along.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just been to the North West Sussex Seagulls Q&A event with Paul Barber, and asked "Are the words to Sussex by the Sea going to be displayed on the big screen before kick off?". He said that the fans' opinion on this was 50/50, so this is why they're holding off doing it.

I'm not so sure it's 50/50, So here is a straightforward poll, Do you want the words to Sussex by the Sea on the big screens before kick off?

I will give this poll 1 week, and will email the results to Paul Barber.
What's the exact version of words that would be used?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Using the music as it stands at the moment:

"Now is the time for marching

Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring my boys
And take the time from me
And I’ll sing you a song as we march along
Of Sussex by the sea

Oh Sussex, Sussex by the sea
Good old Sussex by the sea
You may tell them all we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea"

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I have, reluctantly, voted yes. But only because it appears that a significant proportion of our fans are too thick and / or too lazy to bother to learn them.

One caveat though! Barber must NOT be allowed to change the words (particularly the second line) under any circumstances.

We should not forget that SBTS was a song sung by the brave men of Sussex marching off to fight in the trenches. It is not to be tampered with.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The screens are not big enough to read the words!

I want rid of Hey Jude at the beginning. It depresses me. The song always has.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
Of Sussex by the sea

For Sussex by the sea"
This. Followed by a massive..

ALL TOGETHER NOW...!!!

GOOD OLD SUSSEX BY THE SEA
GOOD OLD SUSSEX BY THE SEA
YOU MAY TELL THEM ALL THAT WE STAND OR FALL
FOR SUSSEX BY THE SEA..!!

(ROAR!)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
Of Sussex by the sea

For Sussex by the sea"

These words would be great.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
bullshit. The majority of people who sit around me are decent Albion fans and would happily join in with "Stand or Fall" but they are not confident to as everyone else seems to be der, derring and going up to win the cup...

Get it on the screen and sort it out.

People are being paid hundreds of thousands for dubiously useful bollocks. Do one simple thing that would be massively good. Just do it.

Here, here. This "going up to win the cup" shite is more embarassing than having the words on a screen.

No goal music though.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Well ,the poll results so far show how out of touch barba is.
hes probably trying to find out how he put some advertising in with it

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Well ,the poll results so far show how out of touch barba is.
hes probably trying to find out how he put some advertising in with it
That is a very good point. If it can be "Sussex By The Sea sponsored by Carling Black Label" (or something similar) then Barber might go for it...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Only if there's a little bouncy ball thing over the words.

This.

If its good enough for the theatre and more importantly MADNESS on their Nightboat To Cairo encores then put the words on screen I say.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Yes to
- Words on the screen
- Thing that bounces across the top of the words
- Cutting the music out halfway through
- Flags
- Waving scarves furiously

No to
- Opera singer
- Drums
- Clackers
- Organised crowd displays

I'm torn on pyrotechnics.... I think we should have those crazy things the rugby guys have but ONLY if we are allowed to throw flares at the opposing teams goalkeeper.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Having supported the Albion for around 30 years, all I can say is GOSBTS is a wonderful, original and rousing club anthem.

That's the good news.

Now for the bad. Thirty years later I'm still stunned so many fans are either indifferent/unaware of this wonderful song.

Considering the inane, repetitive, St Pauli/Great Escape fodder *******ised by thousands of football drones the length and breadth of the country, you'd think we'd love and cherish this stirring, indigenous anthem.

John Lennon: Hey Paul, I've written this great song called Tomorrow Never Knows. Can you help me polish it?

Paul McCartney: Nah, sorry mate, I'd rather we wrote some lyrics to the Birdy Song instead...

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
No - which version of the words do you use as we have so many different ones

Going up and we'll win the cup
Going up to win the cup, etc......
It all depends on the era you started following the Albion as to which version you normally sing.

Or will it be the original words that i have never heard any of our fans singing in the past at a match?

I'm in favour of our fans singing it, but imo, the words on the big screen will cause division - too cringy, not my version and i would rather sing it as X, Y or Z.....etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here