Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think the JOCKS will vote YES ?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
that is a source of great contention, as we see with the likes of Amazon, Google etc., while we also see the likes of Abbvie buying Shire to redomicile, Pfizer accused of wanting Astrazenica for the same purpose, and many companies with no UK activities HQ'd and listed in London to gain favourable tax outcomes. aside from that, in the case of banks where they are regulated and do their business is where the economic activity occurs. RBS and Lloyds can hardly say they are based in an independent Scotland when backed by the BoE. which is the whole point, to retain that backing, they need to be seen to be correctly domiciled. as examples, HSBC and Standard Charterd are taxed in the UK on their prenominatly Asian business.

One would imagine that RBS's largest shareholder (the UK taxpayer) will have some say in where that bank is headquartered and where it invests in jobs. Remember that an independent Scotland won't be taking on the debt which includes the bail out of RBS.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Apart from anything else, EU law states that banks must have their registered Head Office and main operations controls in the country where they do most of their business......that's the UK in the case of all these banks.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
UKFI (I.e. The government) owns less than 25% of Lloyds, btw if that's what you were driving at.

It was RBS , if they shift the registered address to London the Scots will have no liability for existing or future debts if there is another global financial crisis.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think common sense will prevail and the vote will go in favour of the No. I have not taken a great deal of notice but talking to a Scots lady this morning at Weight watchers she was most annoyed that her husband moved to England on a promotion from her husbands firm 2 years ago but likely to return on snother promotion, and is not eligible for a vote but Poles, Romanians and any 16 year olds or uni students from anywhere in the world are. It appears that the rules on eligibility to vote have been based on who is most likely to Vote Yes in line with Alex Salmon. She considers a yes vote will kill the tourist industry in Scotland

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
There is zero chance that they will get a majority. None whatsoever. Salmond is a jingoistic, self serving, power crazed, tunnel visioned nationalist. All the non nationalist with half a brain will vote no.

There is zero chance that they will get a majority. None whatsoever. Salmond is a jingoistic, self serving, power crazed, tunnel visioned nationalist. All the non nationalist with half a brain will vote no.

Erm...new poll just out shows it's too close to call, yes 49% no 51% - it's close because the non-nationalists you refer to are moving massively to independence, not because they are misty eyed lovers of saltires or shortbread, but because they reckon governing themselves will be better than the Blair-Cameron stuff of recent years

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009

The fly in the ointment could be the the new voters that are registering,opinion is that they are more likely to vote yes,that and the question mark over the youth vote means their could still be a surprise.

I will have an even £1000 bet with you that "no" wins

I won't take that bet because I agree No are just about favourites, because the press onslaught and scare stories between now and next week will be like nothing you have ever seen

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I won't take that bet because I agree No are just about favourites, because the press onslaught and scare stories between now and next week will be like nothing you have ever seen

We will see next week. ;)

Still waiting for an answer for this - is it Denis Healy levels of personal income taxation, big hikes in Corporation Tax, how exactly are the Pips going to Squeak?

Cite Healey if you want, but the pre-Thatcher levels of taxation were also levied by plenty of Tory chancellors back then you know, but that was when the Conservatives did actually believe in the NHS of course.

Many of us just want the tax levels of somewhere like Merkel's Germany, remember them? The most economically successful country in Europe

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2012/10/focus-4

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

The YES campaign isn't totally about the SNP , Salmond and nationalism , there are YES voters from all the Scottish political parties and other groups involved too. People have the choice to vote for independence or stay as part of the UK. If Better Together win it will be a democratic decision by the people likewise if YES get the majority of votes.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

2.5% of the electorate are 16-17. This age group does nothing BUT rebel. I would agree with you that the NO vote already has this in the bag were it not for the fact 16-17 year olds have the vote. The vast majority will undoubtably vote YES.

It is clear if Salmond is to win he needs to convince more women of young/middle age to vote yes. Perhaps he needs to be using the 16-17 year-olds to throw a guilt trip on the parents, convince mum that a NO vote will hamper their future? I fancy one of Salmond's last moves should be to appeal to the youth to build a brighter future, and to appeal to their parents to support the hopes and dreams of their kids by doing the same. It could be a powerful message if delivered correctly.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
In future, if YES wins, Will 16 year olds be able to vote on everything? or is it just for this vote only?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

:facepalm:

"just about" - try jacks ON.

If you believe what you are saying that 7/2 for YES is the bet of a lifetime - if I was in your shoes I'd be lumping on every spare penny I had.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
:facepalm:

"just about" - try jacks ON.

If you believe what you are saying that 7/2 for YES is the bet of a lifetime - if I was in your shoes I'd be lumping on every spare penny I had.

I've seen a number of people who reckon the No vote will get to about 1/10 come polling day and there were a fair few of the timeform crowd were lumping on at 1.38 on Betfair.

The media might be portrating this as too close to call but the market has as good as made it's mind up. It's No all the way.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
2.5% of the electorate are 16-17. This age group does nothing BUT rebel. I would agree with you that the NO vote already has this in the bag were it not for the fact 16-17 year olds have the vote. The vast majority will undoubtably vote YES.

It is clear if Salmond is to win he needs to convince more women of young/middle age to vote yes. Perhaps he needs to be using the 16-17 year-olds to throw a guilt trip on the parents, convince mum that a NO vote will hamper their future? I fancy one of Salmond's last moves should be to appeal to the youth to build a brighter future, and to appeal to their parents to support the hopes and dreams of their kids by doing the same. It could be a powerful message if delivered correctly.

You could be right.

Someone raised a big question on Seahaven FM this morning: will people with Scottish parents be able to opt for a Scottish passport? He said you had to decide before you reached 21, that doesn't make sense though. 21 means nothing in legal terms surely.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
The YES campaign isn't totally about the SNP , Salmond and nationalism , there are YES voters from all the Scottish political parties and other groups involved too. People have the choice to vote for independence or stay as part of the UK. If Better Together win it will be a democratic decision by the people likewise if YES get the majority of votes.

IMO, nobody with any economic sense will vote yes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not really a true reflection of opinion generally because the voting criteria has been manipulated to suit the SNP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here