Do you think the JOCKS will vote YES ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
If I could have my own two penneth worth on this debate, I'd say that if Scotland votes for independence, then they should be excluded from next year's general election. After all, why should someone who doesn't want to be part of the union be able to vote representatives onto the governing body.

Also, why are the BBC, Channel 4 News etc so quiet on the subject - if this was an English independence debate then they and all the other left-wing media outlets would be screaming about racist, xenophobic little Englanders etc. it is pure hypocrisy.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
do you mean sterlingisation, using the £ informally? then all that applies, no horror story but the opinion of about every economist. you mean monetary union, using £ formally? not going to happen, all political parties have said so and there is no incentive for them to row back on that - and if they did, Scotland wouldnt sign up to the sort of restrictions necessary to make it work politically or economically. they'd have to immediately concede most the independence just gained.

as for being scared, we will be better off without. i just think they are daft and Salmon is leading them to an idealist oblivion.
Please, if you are going to get into serious debate on this topic, at least type the correct name, Salmond.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
If I could have my own two penneth worth on this debate, I'd say that if Scotland votes for independence, then they should be excluded from next year's general election. After all, why should someone who doesn't want to be part of the union be able to vote representatives onto the governing body.

Also, why are the BBC, Channel 4 News etc so quiet on the subject - if this was an English independence debate then they and all the other left-wing media outlets would be screaming about racist, xenophobic little Englanders etc. it is pure hypocrisy.

Good point, not even a mention of Little Scotlanders anywhere.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If they do get independence, I only hope we fight for the oil. The internationally accepted way to split natural resources up is based on geographical location - but that's for existing countries and borders, not for part of an existing country wanting independence. Otherwise Aberdeen may as well declare independence and take the oil. And then those on the coast of Aberdeen may as well go for independence, so you're left with a slither of a country owning all the oil - it's preposterous.

When the oil was discovered the UK had already been a united country for centuries. It can't be acceptable for part of that country to just declare independence and run off with the resources. Would it be ok for Alaska to declare independence and keep their resources?

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
How can you declare that you are an independent nation and not have control of your currency? You do not have an army, Embassys or foreign influence. Have they really thought about this?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
If they do get independence, I only hope we fight for the oil. The internationally accepted way to split natural resources up is based on geographical location - but that's for existing countries and borders, not for part of an existing country wanting independence. Otherwise Aberdeen may as well declare independence and take the oil. And then those on the coast of Aberdeen may as well go for independence, so you're left with a slither of a country owning all the oil - it's preposterous.

When the oil was discovered the UK had already been a united country for centuries. It can't be acceptable for part of that country to just declare independence and run off with the resources. Would it be ok for Alaska to declare independence and keep their resources?

Scotland will want the oil revenues and not have to pay for trident.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014

That is probably the only part I agree with. What is the point of the billions spent on the nuclear deterrent? Can we nuke Syria, Irag or Iran? What is the point?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
That is probably the only part I agree with. What is the point of the billions spent on the nuclear deterrent? Can we nuke Syria, Irag or Iran? What is the point?

Agree it's expensive but I don't think it's the middle east we have it as a deterrent for.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sure they will want the oil, but that doesn't mean they should get it.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Agree it's expensive but I don't think it's the middle east we have it as a deterrent for.
Well we have had lots of wars, Falklands, 2 Gulf wars and many more. When has a nuclear capability ever been of any use? We buy the technology from USA of course, that makes us their best friend and gets the PM a seat at the top table. That is it. Meanwhile our soldiers have to fight wars without equipment that works in deserts, guns clog up, they don’t have enough bullet-proof vests to go round. They drive around in death-trap Land Rovers but that doesn’t matter, we have a seat at the top table at the UN.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Can they vote 'aye'?

The border control issue is not real, I would have thought.

The Channel Islands and Isle of Man are technically "foreign" countries, but there are no border controls. The same could be said for Ireland where no one with a UK passport is usually stopped.
I was stopped, when driving from Fermanagh to Sligo, but that was only to get out of my car and wipe my feet before entering the Republic.

This was during the foot and mouth epidemic but, even so, I thought it was a nice touch that should be required at all international frontiers.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
The Pound has tanked on the re-opening of FX markets this morning here in Aust/NZ after the weekend's referendum showing the "Yes" vote now marginally ahead in the polls.
Against the $US it fell over 1½ cents from Friday's NY close of $1.6329 to $1.6167, it has since recovered a little to around $1.6224.
The Pound has now fallen 10c against $US over the past 8 weeks since hitting a 6-year against $US of just under $1.72 on July 1st.
Most of this move can be attributed to the general strength in the U.S Dollar against all major currencies, however, this risk of a "Yes" vote is now having a further weakening effect on the Pound.

On a darker side, ISIS are now said to be targeting a Scot in bid to force ‘Yes’ vote in Scotland independence, in a bid break up the UK.

From Scottish newspaper, the Sunday Post:

A leading intelligence expert fears Islamic extremists are deliberately threatening to behead a Scots aid worker to break up the UK

Professor Anthony Glees, at the Centre for Security and Intelligence Studies at the University of Buckingham, says:

“ISIS are believed to be holding around 30 hostages. Some are Scandinavian but there are other Brits among the group. So you need to ask why David Haines has been picked after two Americans.
ISIS are masters of propaganda and realise the impact of selecting a Scot. They will hope by showing the UK is weak and unable to defend its citizens it will drive Scots to embrace independence.
“One of the UK’s big selling points in remaining together is the strength of the UK on the world stage – their sword and shield. If they can no longer strike hostile forces who attack their citizens, the UK is clearly in danger of being a spent force heading towards division. And a weakened UK is exactly what the ISIS wants.”

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
On a darker side, ISIS are now said to be targeting a Scot in bid to force ‘Yes’ vote in Scotland independence, in a bid break up the UK.
If that's true, you think it would have the opposite effect. Scotland are hardly going to want to please ISIS. Which makes me wonder if the story is true (not the murders by ISIS, but their reasoning).

If that's true, you think it would have the opposite effect. Scotland are hardly going to want to please ISIS. Which makes me wonder if the story is true (not the murders by ISIS, but their reasoning).
It comes across to me as yet another desperate piece of propaganda put out to the Sunday Post by the NO campaign.

If this is the sort of stuff they are getting up to, they deserve to lose.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It comes across to me as yet another desperate piece of propaganda put out to the Sunday Post by the NO campaign.

If this is the sort of stuff they are getting up to, they deserve to lose.
I would agree entirely. And there has been a notable uptick in scaremongering since this poll was conducted suggesting YES had a lead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports