Do you think the JOCKS will vote YES ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Pathetic comments like that only benefit the opposition. Milliband really is a fool.

I am Conservative,however i agree with him on this point though,why would we not want to protect England's borders..

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Of course they will, due to their hatred of us. They don't think rationally, especially after watching Highlander, an American film starring an Aussie, made in Ireland. That proper stirs up the skirt twirling frisps.
They really do hate us.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
If they do vote yes we are highly unlikely to get a labour government again.

Well that would be just ironic and a real shame-double whammy and happy days,all we need now is promotion..

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I was in Scotland just before the last independence debate, i got the impression at the time that they would vote No. This was based on the fact I drove around a fair bit of Scotland and saw more No banners than Yes ones. Since that last debate though there has been a distinct shift to the Yes campaign.

??? They've never had an independence vote before.

For me I'm in the "I don't really mind what they do camp". If they do vote yes then they should be truely independent which means not using the pound. I suspect it will be a slim No vote though.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

For me I'm in the "I don't really mind what they do camp". If they do vote yes then they should be truely independent which means not using the pound. I suspect it will be a slim No vote though.

He/she did not say they did,just talking about a debate.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

With or without border control?

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
The BBC polling expert on the Jeremy Vine show last week was saying that actually in the 16/17 age group the majority were for staying in the Union, it was the 18-24 age group that were in favour of independence. I hope they say no, and I think they will narrowly, but if not, I can't see it being as easy and smooth to separate as Salmond insists. Currency, EU, NATO, Trident, they are all massivley important, and yet, there is nothing certain about any of them. Voting Yes will mean a leap into the unknown, which is why I believe in the end, the No campaign will win

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
What does "not having the pound" actually mean? Is it just loss of control on fiscal policy?

Would the dodgy Scottish notes stop being legal tender south of the "wall"?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
As they won't be able to join the EU in the near future it would mean with border control.

Ha ha.....i'll be bringing the ale and sandwiches if we are ever needed up at the border..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Indeed. The more intense the NO campaign gets, the more likely it is that the undecided voters will turn towards YES.

The English just don't get it. And this thread is just one tiny example of how that is the case.

Still the truth does need to be told and if the Scot's are unable to accept it and just think it's another reason to vote yes,then so be it,what we really should be saying is,go for it and get your own currency.

What does "not having the pound" actually mean? Is it just loss of control on fiscal policy?

Scottish notes have NEVER been "legal tender" in England - just widely accepted. In fact, Scottish notes aren't legal tender in Scotland. The only form of legal tender in Scotland is coinage.

http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/legal_position.php

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

It means they would have to spend all their money to get a currency and international credit rating and be left with very little,or have no control over their/our pound and we could set rates thus they would not be independent.

and yes to the second bit.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I know this is wrong but I want the Yes vote just to see what happens:shrug: and then of course what my Welsh neighbours think.....

Shirley this cannot be true....

I've added a link to my original post.

This is from the Committee of Scottish Bankers:-

The legal position with regard to Scottish Banknotes is as follows:

Scottish Banknotes are legal currency – i.e. they are approved by the UK Parliament. However, Scottish Bank notes are not Legal Tender, not even in Scotland. In fact, no banknote whatsoever (including Bank of England notes!) qualifies for the term 'legal tender' north of the border and the Scottish economy seems to manage without that legal protection.

HM Treasury is responsible for defining which notes have ‘legal tender’ status within the United Kingdom and the following extract from Bank of England’s website may help to clarify what is meant by “legal tender” and how little practical meaning the phrase has in everyday transactions.

“The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application.”
(Ref. www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/about/faqs.htm.)

It is also interesting to note that, if the strict rules governing legal tender were to be observed in a transaction, then the exact amount due would need to be tendered since no change can be demanded.

The majority of banknotes circulating in Scotland are issued by Scottish banks. Scottish notes circulate and are accepted quite freely in Scotland and, for the most part, they are also readily accepted in England & Wales, although branches of Scottish banks there may not issue them. However, you should not rely absolutely on Scottish notes being accepted outside Scotland and this is particularly true when travelling abroad. Our general advice would be not to carry large amounts of banknotes of any description and to make use of facilities such as travellers’ cheques, credit/debit cards and ATM cards for access to funds whilst abroad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports