• No

Votes: 87 36.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Sounds like you like a conspiracy theory. The government may present the science to the public in a way that benefits them, but a report that says those that are double jabbed only have 20% protection from omicron and there is no evidence of less severe infection is quite worrying.

But feel free to go clubbing and hug your granny on Christmas Day.

I am the last person on earth who likes conspiracy. There is no conspiracy. Graham Medley from Sage admitted that they were told to present only certain data that would benefit the view of the government. They only base their reports on the worst possible data.

The Imperial report about vaccination is a whole other ball game. It was based upon only 24 patients hospitalised and is therefore highly speculative. It also ignores other data from Denmark and South Africa which appears to show that either Omicron is milder or that there is residual protection from past vaccination or infection. It also completely ignores T and B cell immunity. It doesn't take into account that separate studies have shown that Omicron replicates well in Bronchial tissue leading to the lungs but crucially 10 times slower than Delta in lung tissue.

Oh and Neil Ferguson, his record is appalling regarding predicting outcomes for public health. But even he said 'having two vaccinations or Covid previously offers 85 to 90 per cent protection from serious illness.'

So, no I won't go clubbing as I have always hated clubs and no-one needs to see a middle-aged man dad dancing anyway. My grandparents are all sadly dead but I won't go and see my in laws for the 2nd Christmas running nor will I see my elderly parents or anyone outside my immediate family until I have to return to work in the new year. I will mask up and follow guidance. It is a pity that you think that due to disagreeing with a report, I am unable to act in good conscience and in a public spirited manner.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I have no doubt that when the government says they are following the science that at times they pick the best case scenario and at times they pick the worst case scenario. But the data is reliable, to ignore the latest data would be akin to climate change data.

Why was there a major incident declared in London, are these pressures on the NHS imaginary?

Researchers estimate the growth and immune escape of the Omicron variant in England. They used data from the UKHSA and NHS for all PCR-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 cases in England who had taken a COVID test between November 29th and December 11th 2021.

This level of immune evasion means that Omicron poses a major, imminent threat to public health.
Prof Neil Ferguson
The study includes people identified as having Omicron infection due to an S gene target failure (SGTF), as well as people with genotype data that confirmed Omicron infection. Overall, 196,463 people without S gene target failure (likely to be infected with another variant) and 11,329 cases with it (likely to be infected with Omicron) were included in the SGTF analysis, as well as 122,063 Delta and 1,846 Omicron cases in the genotype analysis.

Looks like a reliable sample size to me

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I have no doubt that when the government says they are following the science that at times they pick the best case scenario and at times they pick the worst case scenario. But the data is reliable, to ignore the latest data would be akin to climate change data.

Why was there a major incident declared in London, are these pressures on the NHS imaginary?

Researchers estimate the growth and immune escape of the Omicron variant in England. They used data from the UKHSA and NHS for all PCR-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 cases in England who had taken a COVID test between November 29th and December 11th 2021.

This level of immune evasion means that Omicron poses a major, imminent threat to public health.
Prof Neil Ferguson
The study includes people identified as having Omicron infection due to an S gene target failure (SGTF), as well as people with genotype data that confirmed Omicron infection. Overall, 196,463 people without S gene target failure (likely to be infected with another variant) and 11,329 cases with it (likely to be infected with Omicron) were included in the SGTF analysis, as well as 122,063 Delta and 1,846 Omicron cases in the genotype analysis.

Looks like a reliable sample size to me
It's all going to be alright.

UCL and their real time R tracker have come up with this: https://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/spm/covid-19/forecasting/

R is now 0.96 so the epidemic is stalling or falling, the maximum number of deaths peaking at 150 a day.

Seems a little more optimistic. Do I necessarily believe this, no. But it proves the point that we can't rely on a given model, especially one which has consistently been far too pessimistic throughout the pandemic.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

I'm not trying to belittle the seriousness of the situation, but Moderna have just issued data showing that their booster vaccine increases antibodies 83 fold (compared to pre-booster levels). The Biotech/Pfizer vaccine increases antibodies 25 fold. These sound like very substantial increases in protection.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I still can't get my head round that after numerous games in England and Wales were called off at the weekend etc, not one game in Scotland was postponed due to Omicron etc.
Does this mean it can't get past Hadrian's Wall ??

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I still can't get my head round that after numerous games in England and Wales were called off at the weekend etc, not one game in Scotland was postponed due to Omicron etc.
Does this mean it can't get past Hadrian's Wall ??

Only 2 out of 30 FA Trophy matches postponed at the weekend. Seems non-league players are immune to it.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
On a purely selfish, seen through blue-and-white-striped-glasses, level, I hope it goes ahead IF Brentford are forced to play Chelsea in the League Cup on Wednesday. Facing an already COVID-weakened Brentford squad after they've had a hard midweek cup tie might even enable us to win a game.

But if Chelsea forfeit, as Thomas Tuchel has hinted they might, then let's postpone until all our players are fit.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
On a purely selfish, seen through blue-and-white-striped-glasses, level, I hope it goes ahead IF Brentford are forced to play Chelsea in the League Cup on Wednesday. Facing an already COVID-weakened Brentford squad after they've had a hard midweek cup tie might even enable us to win a game.

But if Chelsea forfeit, as Thomas Tuchel has hinted they might, then let's postpone until all our players are fit.

Especially given we might actually have a striker available. (Apparently the mask was only taken off for the pic BTW).

[TWEET]1472876295847653384[/TWEET]

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
There is another point to be made. The statistics can be puzzling but from family experience I can tell you that hospital staffing is becoming an issue. My daughter is a nurse and yesterday she was 4 staff down for covid reasons . My point being that even if omnicrom is less serious if it hits staffing to such an extent the NHS is in trouble.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
8pm on Boxing Day....

I put my tickets straight on the exchange I'm sorry to say. I have family I'll be with who are far more important to me than Sky and their stupid f*cking fixture list.

With so many club tickets available recently you may find ticket exchange is a thing of the past

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There is another point to be made. The statistics can be puzzling but from family experience I can tell you that hospital staffing is becoming an issue. My daughter is a nurse and yesterday she was 4 staff down for covid reasons . My point being that even if omnicrom is less serious if it hits staffing to such an extent the NHS is in trouble.

Agreed. People seem to completely forget that pre-Covid we often had the NHS running at full capacity through winters. You don't need to throw many Covid cases at the NHS over the winter for it to be a huge problem.

Do people think we had all this spare capacity over winter months or something? :shrug:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
That’s really sad. You watch YOUR local professional team for years hoping for success and then when it comes along you don’t like the set up - which in essence has been in place for nearly thirty years. I know many of us, for whatever reason, fall out of love with the club we support. I did in the early 1990s, I saw two games at the Goldstone in quick succession which were absolutely dire. I couldn’t face going again - in fact I couldn’t because of having to work on Saturdays.

I still followed the Albion of course, from a distance. I did my bit in the war years when I could. It was our return to Brighton, to Withdean, that rekindled all things Albion for me. I became a true fan again, got my daughters hooked and watched every game I could - and have never looked back.

I hope that Damascus moment falls on you too.

Not really. One less supporter at the Amex is hardly going to hurt the club financially and I've always liked the idea of being more local as Shoreham are ultimately my real local team. I'm in my 60's now so local games are more appealing to me which I can just walk to and there are loads of young future supporters of the Albion who will take my place.

Of course I will still follow the Albion and attend the odd game (ironically I'm due to take my nephews to the Brentford game), but for me football is still only a game that I devote a small percentage of my time following. It's not life or death to me like it seems to be for some. I don't watch the Prem on Sky or MOTD as I'm not interested in the other teams (plus as I've said before VAR was the real icing on the cake for me that killed my enjoyment at the top level).

Life is too short for regrets, and maybe my enjoyment came more from the battles in our lean years than our current 1st world problems competing with the elite!

el punal

Not really. One less supporter at the Amex is hardly going to hurt the club financially and I've always liked the idea of being more local as Shoreham are ultimately my real local team. I'm in my 60's now so local games are more appealing to me which I can just walk to and there are loads of young future supporters of the Albion who will take my place.

Of course I will still follow the Albion and attend the odd game (ironically I'm due to take my nephews to the Brentford game), but for me football is still only a game that I devote a small percentage of my time following. It's not life or death to me like it seems to be for some. I don't watch the Prem on Sky or MOTD as I'm not interested in the other teams (plus as I've said before VAR was the real icing on the cake for me that killed my enjoyment at the top level).

Life is too short for regrets, and maybe my enjoyment came more from the battles in our lean years than our current 1st world problems competing with the elite!

To be honest VAR, or more to the point the way it is operated, is the icing on everyone’s cake. Football has evolved over the last thirty years, some of it good and some bad. For my grandchildren they absolutely love it, after all they know no different. I’m not sure that I would have taken them to any of the football war zones of the 1980s though.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59732905

Premier League clubs have chosen to fulfil festive fixtures despite ongoing disruption caused by Covid-19 cases.

The league's 20 clubs met on Monday to discuss how they could deal with the challenges faced after six fixtures were postponed because of Covid-19 numbers over the weekend.

flint

Jul 9, 2003
eastbourne
Should be postponed even though Premier League want to go ahead with Christmas fixtures.
Players and fans health much more important that sticking to a ridiculous schedule

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here