Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think Brighton fans are being mugged for their money?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes, and I'd rather be a fan owned conference club. I genuinely would! Safe standing, realistic priced food and drink, cheaper tickets as well! Not to mention that fan owned clubs have much higher attendances relative to their success so we'd be like a bigger version of what FC United are.

Alternatively we could always join clubs with loads of Sussex clubs and create FC Sussex. Would have a bigger catchment area and ties to the community. I've always thought county clubs make more sense since we're all in a county but not all in a city, town with a club and even then if people live in Bolton they choose to support Manchester city or utd. But I think it would decrease the plastic issue of teens just supporting a big club.

Can't see my idea being popular tho. Hhahah!

What a load of romantic drivel!

Firstly, with regard to 'county' teams, this is football, not cricket. Also, why does it matter that it is Brighton? I live in Mid-Sussex and have supported the Albion for nearly 40 years, makes not difference that I have never lived in Brighton. What about the history of these Sussex clubs that you dismiss just because you have a romantic notion of how football should be run. Yes, some people in Bolton will chose to support Utd or City or any other club but there are still people in Bolton who support Bolton! Same as if you had a county team, nothing to stop someone supporting another more successful county.

Your last sentence is the only bit of sense!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes, and I'd rather be a fan owned conference club. I genuinely would! Safe standing, realistic priced food and drink, cheaper tickets as well! Not to mention that fan owned clubs have much higher attendances relative to their success so we'd be like a bigger version of what FC United are.

Alternatively we could always join clubs with loads of Sussex clubs and create FC Sussex. Would have a bigger catchment area and ties to the community. I've always thought county clubs make more sense since we're all in a county but not all in a city, town with a club and even then if people live in Bolton they choose to support Manchester city or utd. But I think it would decrease the plastic issue of teens just supporting a big club.

Can't see my idea being popular tho. Hhahah!
We already are a Sussex wide club. I remember a few years ago in a survey, Brighton fans were proportionally more likely to come from Eastbourne. That is why we sing Sussex by the sea and not Brighton by the sea!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
No, but far less pie and beer for me this season, will put that towards away days

I have a season ticket so I haven't paid much attention to single match day tickets, but I have just looked up ticket prices for the next 2 home games.
Bolton- NW corner=£25
Charlton-NW corner= £32, and for the East Upper over £40.

Not a bad price for the Bolton match but too expensive for Charlton, home fans are paying to watch BHA.

Gave up our s/t in esu and will not be paying £100 per game to take my sons who are both still in full time education! No more amex for me this season:moo:

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Yep, we're being mugged, shafted and roasted by the man who contributed £10,000 per STH to build what we have. Admittedly he now owns it but at least he used his own money. Unlike Glazer who effectively completed the takeover of MU with the club's own cash. Have you noticed what has happened to ticket prices elsewhere? Man City boycotting away games at Arsenal? Chelsea fans unable to afford to go to games? Random example from the lower reaches of the league: Fleetwood Town minimum £20 per game.

Do you not think what we have is worth a few quid more per game than Withdean?

Unlike a mugging, you are not being forced to part with your money.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Alternatively we could always join clubs with loads of Sussex clubs and create FC Sussex.

Lewes FC is fan owned. It has 800+ owners who pay £30 a year.
Its £11 for a ticket to stand or sit at the Dripping Pan. Harveys is cheaper than at the Amex and you can drink it it from the stands in a plastic glass if you wish.. Lewes brief and unsuccessful season in the Conference was as recently as 2008/9.

Actually its quite easy to see a fair few Lewes games in a season and combine that with the Albion. Non League Day is a good day to start. Lewes are playing Wingate and Finchley...
http://www.nonleagueday.co.uk/

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
If you think you are being mugged by the club then I submit that you have never actually been mugged - the two are about as different experiences as you're likely to get.

ants4t

Jun 17, 2011
Milked not mugged, but that has just meant I haven't purchased the new shirt (which i would have worn with pride during football training, but last years is still good to go with a better sponsor logo) and I no longer buy food or drink on concourse. I have a budget, I wont go over that. If I thought I was getting value for money then i would be persuaded to stretch that budget. I feel my season ticket gives me value for money, I enjoy the rollercoaster that is the Albion win or lose, but i don't have to spend money on substandard services elsewhere around the stadium.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Lewes FC is fan owned. It has 800+ owners who pay £30 a year.
Its £11 for a ticket to stand or sit at the Dripping Pan. Harveys is cheaper than at the Amex and you can drink it it from the stands in a plastic glass if you wish.. Lewes brief and unsuccessful season in the Conference was as recently as 2008/9.

Actually its quite easy to see a fair few Lewes games in a season and combine that with the Albion. Non League Day is a good day to start. Lewes are playing Wingate and Finchley...
http://www.nonleagueday.co.uk/

One question. Which level of football do Lewes play at?

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
Football fans in general are constantly mugged to pay the ever-increasing wages of mediocre players, and the dodgy payments that their agents demand. I don't see how the Albion has any choice other than to charge the prices it does when it's spending 90% of turnover on wages - the business is losing money, and needs to increase revenue to curb those losses.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Yep, we're being mugged, shafted and roasted by the man who contributed £10,000 per STH to build what we have. Admittedly he now owns it but at least he used his own money. Unlike Glazer who effectively completed the takeover of MU with the club's own cash. Have you noticed what has happened to ticket prices elsewhere? Man City boycotting away games at Arsenal? Chelsea fans unable to afford to go to games? Random example from the lower reaches of the league: Fleetwood Town minimum £20 per game.

Do you not think what we have is worth a few quid more per game than Withdean?

Unlike a mugging, you are not being forced to part with your money.

Hull v Stoke this weekend in the Premiership is £16 per adult ticket ANYWHERE in the stadium, with concessions priced at £5-£10. I know it's not a glory fixture as such, but then neither, for my money was Sheffield Wednesday, for which our cheapest ticket was £30.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
When we 1st moved to the Amex, we would have been more than happy to have become an established Championship team and that is exactly what we have become. I don't get this throwing of toys out of the pram by some because we arn't a Premier League side and therefore we have been lied to / mugged / conned or whatever. I'm happy to watch Championship football at the Amex and don't think that reachhing the top flight has to be achieved at all costs.

If we want a competitive squad and a chance of promotion, then the club has to try to rasise this money from somewhere.
- we don't get parachute payments so this has to be matched from other sources if we want to compete
- Our commercial income doesn't match a parachute payment
- Where else can this income come from if not through match ticket prices / merchansising, food and drink, etc.
- We only have a guarenteed 23 home games a season in which to make this income, so with a limited timescale our opportunities are limited.
- We have to employ staff even when the game is on and they are left standing around doing nothing (catering staff) this is still an overhead and therefore has to be recovered through the prices charged before anyone can make a profit (shops tend to only have staff working when open and generating an income)
- We still have operating overheads that don't disappear (lighting, maintainance, etc)

If those who want a competitive squad and compete with the teams with parachute payments, who want us to go up. - How else can the club fund this if not throuugh higher costing food / drink / merchandise / tickets, etc?

It amazes me how many want us to be in the top flight and are very vocal about this but equally vocal about boycotting the clubs sources of income generation (food / drink, etc) which would be used to fund their dream. They seem to think that we arn't being susidised enough already by Tony Bloom, and he should throw even more money into the club to cut the cost for us fans even further whilst providing a very competitive squad with promotion a realistic target. (Its a bit like wanting the top of the range Laptop from PC World, only being willing to pay the price for the cheapest laptop and expecting PC World to make up the difference in price and if we don't get this, we will boycott them and feel we are being ripped off)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here