Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Do you still watch MOTD?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I watch Sunday mornings, a nice part of my start of the day routine. If we lose may give it a miss though. As for Lineker I like him, I think he's an excellent host. It's Saudi Shill Shearer that grinds my gears. It's a much better highlights show than anything Sky has to offer.

Given how much the game has changed I find MotD a reassuring simple pleasure that should be savoured for as long as we've got it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I watch Sunday mornings, a nice part of my start of the day routine. If we lose may give it a miss though. As for Lineker I like him, I think he's an excellent host. It's Saudi Shill Shearer that grinds my gears. It's a much better highlights show than anything Sky has to offer.

Given how much the game has changed I find MotD a reassuring simple pleasure that should be savoured for as long as we've got it.
Lineker (whilst a little SMUG) is an excellent host. There are a lot of people who try hard to find him annoying - mostly because he dares to put his head above the parapet and criticise social inequality, and the general shortcomings of our shit-show of a 'government'. Very little of their criticisms actually have anything at all to do with his broadcasting - they just think he should get back in his box. (Gary Neville gets a lot of the same - but less, because he's not PaiD By ThE TaXPaYEr).

Mark Chapman is the DON though. Probably the best sports broadcaster of the last two decades.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Lineker (whilst a little SMUG) is an excellent host. There are a lot of people who try hard to find him annoying - mostly because he dares to put his head above the parapet and criticise social inequality, and the general shortcomings of our shit-show of a 'government'. Very little of their criticisms actually have anything at all to do with his broadcasting - they just think he should get back in his box. (Gary Neville gets a lot of the same - but less, because he's not PaiD By ThE TaXPaYEr)>

Mark Chapman is the DON though. Probably the best sports broadcaster of the last two decades.
Agree on all counts.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No, there’s so much live football on tv I no longer see the point of a few minutes of highlights. The gulf in tactical knowledge between the MOTD and Sky pundits is also embarrassing.
As is that comment. On MotD, they don't have too much time to do it. On Sky, they have hours. Depends how much time you've got, or want to dedicate to watching football analysis.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
ALL of this.

Warm; informed; nicely self-deprecating; gets what it means to be a 'fan' because he is one - rather than simply another ex-pro; genuine. Just a natural broadcaster really.

Whenever and whatever Mark Chapman is hosting, I know I'm in a safe pair of hands.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
ALL of this.

Warm; informed; nicely self-deprecating; gets what it means to be a 'fan' because he is one - rather than simply another ex-pro; genuine. Just a natural broadcaster really.

Whenever and whatever Mark Chapman is hosting, I know I'm in a safe pair of hands.
Have to think he's the regular viewers choice to take over from Lineker when he retires.

So obviously it'll be the Michael Owen & Jake Humphreys dream team.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
ALL of this.

None of this excuses shooting John Lennon, mind.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Increasingly not because Sky App and our App does highlights without Lineker inane comments, and abuse of position. Wish he’d get sacked or step down. Can’t stand him these days.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
NB: The BBC recently agreed a contract with the PL to keep MOTD and PL highlights on air until and including 2028/29.

"Over half of the Premier League’s UK TV reach is delivered by the BBC alone with all Premier League related programming reaching nearly 30m, with 90m requests for Premier League content on BBC iPlayer. The audience for the Match of the Day Saturday show this season is averaging 4m on BBC One and iPlayer."

Jul 7, 2003
I try to avoid the other scores on a Saturday. In the old days, it was the bloke with the radio who would tell everyone the scores - now it seems to be those who are more interested in their fantasy teams you have to tune out as they monitor their phones instead of watching the game going on in front of them.

This means I can enjoy MOTD without knowing most of the scores. I set it up as a series link to record but usually end up watching the first game on a Saturday night (or falling asleep to it) while recording the rest and then watch the rest on Sunday morning. The advantage of that is that I can then fast forward through the analysis and just watch the games.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I have it on series link but it gets deleted without being watched most weeks.

When I do watch it like many I fast forward through the talking and just watch the games.

Given how much Lineker and co are paid it falls of deaf ears when the BBC moan about funding. The week they went on strike showed how surplus to requirements they are.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I only watch if Brighton win, and that would usually be on Sunday morning so I can skip the other games

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You really are a nasty little shit.

Maybe if you stopped for a period of self reflection, rather than posting your utterly tedious thoughts about other thread starters, you’d come to the realisation that 99% of what you post is utter shite.

But you won’t do that, will you?
Don't be a CAUC all your life

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I try to avoid the other scores on a Saturday. In the old days, it was the bloke with the radio who would tell everyone the scores - now it seems to be those who are more interested in their fantasy teams you have to tune out as they monitor their phones instead of watching the game going on in front of them.

This means I can enjoy MOTD without knowing most of the scores. I set it up as a series link to record but usually end up watching the first game on a Saturday night (or falling asleep to it) while recording the rest and then watch the rest on Sunday morning. The advantage of that is that I can then fast forward through the analysis and just watch the games.
This is a rarity I'm sure but does make the programme more enjoyable. I'm old school too in that sense but rarely manage to avoid the scores.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This is a rarity I'm sure but does make the programme more enjoyable. I'm old school too in that sense but rarely manage to avoid the scores.
Yeah, my father-in-law, 93, is old-school. Deliberately avoids all the scores (quite easy when you're not glued to a smartphone) and then watches it all unfold on MoTD on Saturday night, same as he has for decades. However even he said that at times it's a 'chore' to watch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here