Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you still think that we should have The Olyimpics

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
:nono::nono:When we were awarded the Olympics I was not bothered as whoever had them we would see them on TV, There was great excitement at the time but not sure it was realised the disadvantages listed below.
1. The disruption for months to Underground services during late evening and weekends.
2.Unless you are corporate customers tickets avalable mainly would only be for minor events.
3.Huge cost of building arenas swimming pools etc well above the estimated figures which Councils will be unable to afford to run after the games.
4.Costs up to approximately £5000 for each vehicle to meet Euro 3 standards for emissions which many small companies cannot afford.
5.In the present financial situation the country simply cannot afford them.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Absolutely, the greatest sports show on earth and it is coming home.

Cynics will say it will kick start the economy.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Oddly last time we got the Olympics (in 1948) the world was fairly austere and we did a good job then.

4.Costs up to approximately £5000 for each vehicle to meet Euro 3 standards for emissions which many small companies cannot afford.
I'm not sure that this can be blamed exclusively on the Olympics. The wish to deal with unacceptable levels of vehicle emissions in London has been public policy since the days of the GLC.

Without Limits

Jan 14, 2007
Lewes Road Area
I'm proud it's coming here. Pain about tickets. I went for a few but only got two for women's football final.

It will generate HUGE income in sponsors, tourism and so much more. Complaining about trains for months? It's about 2-3 weeks long. It like the people moaning about traffic problems near Falmer on match days make their lives terrible when it's 25 times roughly every 10 months!

Looking forward to it.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
I'm proud it's coming here. Pain about tickets. I went for a few but only got two for women's football final.

It will generate HUGE income in sponsors, tourism and so much more. Complaining about trains for months? It's about 2-3 weeks long. It like the people moaning about traffic problems near Falmer on match days make their lives terrible when it's 25 times roughly every 10 months!

Looking forward to it.

2-3 weeks? have you tried travelling on the tube in east london much this year?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Frankly I think it will be a financial disaster, good old Lord Coe is about as clueless as the average Tory, I doubt that he uses public transport. Recently I was contacted about a job on their IT support team. Frankly the money was utterly pathetic so I can see a lot of IT problems coming along with the events. (Apparently the low wages are offset for the 'honour' of being involved, some honour). However I wasn't likely to be considered as they won't look at people with TRAFFIC CONVICTIONS let alone anything else.

Given the amount of corruption and drug taking within the Olympics I find such an attitude more than slight hypocritical.

D

Deleted User X18H

Frankly I think it will be a financial disaster, good old Lord Coe is about as clueless as the average Tory, I doubt that he uses public transport. Recently I was contacted about a job on their IT support team. Frankly the money was utterly pathetic so I can see a lot of IT problems coming along with the events. (Apparently the low wages are offset for the 'honour' of being involved, some honour). However I wasn't likely to be considered as they won't look at people with TRAFFIC CONVICTIONS let alone anything else.

Given the amount of corruption and drug taking within the Olympics I find such an attitude more than slight hypocritical.

Apparently traffic convictions or now being used widely in recruitment as a means to filter the huge amount of applications each job attracts. Obviously you don't have to declare these until asked. Do they appear on CRB checks? Although these won't be clarified until after you have taken the job.

Recently I was contacted about a job on their IT support team. Frankly the money was utterly pathetic so I can see a lot of IT problems coming along with the events. (Apparently the low wages are offset for the 'honour' of being involved, some honour). However I wasn't likely to be considered as they won't look at people with TRAFFIC CONVICTIONS let alone anything else.

Is this the same as the fictitious job you had at Red Cross? You remember, don't you? You posted some cock and bull story about working at the Red Cross, them being a creditor of C Palace and they were badmouthing the club but praising Brighton. Trouble is, Red Cross have never been owed money by Palace. You'd concocted a long-winded story only to get St John Ambulance and Red Cross all mixed up.

And this comment about traffic offences is not true at all either. The checks are carried out mainly by the Home Office and specifically ask for any unspent criminal convictions, excluding driving offences.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
They're going to be great. The IOC says were in great shape. The ODA has delivered the stadia early and under budget. Tickets for every sport bar football will be sold out and they are overcharging for the corporate tickets so that they can give tickets away free to troops and school kids.

Transport is the biggest challenge, but not so much at evenings and weekends and only really at games time.

Apparently traffic convictions or now being used widely in recruitment as a means to filter the huge amount of applications each job attracts. Obviously you don't have to declare these until asked. Do they appear on CRB checks? Although these won't be clarified until after you have taken the job.

Define traffic convictions, firstly. A 6 month ban for accumulated points is not a criminal offence and as such won't show up on a standard CRB check. It will show up on an enhanced CRB check but the cost of these is extortionately high and for the numbers of people employed by the Olympics then 99% of them will have standard checks. Do you need to declare civil offences if asked? I guess that's a moot point. You could say "N/A' and ambiguously leave it there, I guess. Any company doing a CRB check has to inform you that they will be doing these and provide you with a copy of the results (although that might be on request under DPA rules).

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
:nono::nono:When we were awarded the Olympics I was not bothered as whoever had them we would see them on TV, There was great excitement at the time but not sure it was realised the disadvantages listed below.
1. The disruption for months to Underground services during late evening and weekends.
2.Unless you are corporate customers tickets avalable mainly would only be for minor events.
3.Huge cost of building arenas swimming pools etc well above the estimated figures which Councils will be unable to afford to run after the games.
5.In the present financial situation the country simply cannot afford them.

I was interested, but as soon as I heard corporate companies had already bagged the best seats and VIPs would get their own dedicated lanes/roads in London it put me off. Why the hell can't they use public transport like everyone else.

Not only that but this olympics has cost the country billions and the last thing we need is stadiums that are left to rot away.

I am more worried about services like our NHS that is slowly rotting away because there is not enough money and yet we have more and more people coming here everyday. I don't get it.

Last edited:

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I was interested, but as soon as I heard corporate companies had already bagged the best seats and VIPs would get their own dedicated lanes/roads in London it put me off. Why the hell can't they use public transport like everyone else.

Not only that but this olympics has cost the country billions and the last thing we need is stadiums that are left to rot away. I am more worried about services like our NHS that is slowly rotting away because there is not enough money.

The vast majority of the people using the lanes will the athletes.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Is this the same as the fictitious job you had at Red Cross? You remember, don't you? You posted some cock and bull story about working at the Red Cross, them being a creditor of C Palace and they were badmouthing the club but praising Brighton. Trouble is, Red Cross have never been owed money by Palace. You'd concocted a long-winded story only to get St John Ambulance and Red Cross all mixed up.

And this comment about traffic offences is not true at all either. The checks are carried out mainly by the Home Office and specifically ask for any unspent criminal convictions, excluding driving offences.

TWAT I do work for the Red Cross, and yes Palace do owe them money. They attend functions including sport events. Still, who isn't owed money by CPFC ? Oh, I was specifically asked about Traffic Convictions which is why I mentioned it. Seems to me that as you seem to think everybody lies it's a way of life to you :tosser:

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

They specifically asked in fact. As I'm not a politician I tend to be honest.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Are they going to get rid of that daft one-false-start-and-you're-out rule before then? Could completely ruin the sprint events.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Are they going to get rid of that daft one-false-start-and-you're-out rule before then? Could completely ruin the sprint events.

It is daft in some ways but on the other hand I can see that it has it's merits. I just hope that I won't working in London when it's on.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I am totally 100% against having the Olymics here. The whole thing is more about money than sport which was not, I believe, the original intention.

As an earlier poster said, give me the World Cup any day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here