Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you have any interest in football outside of The Albion?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Yes.

I've followed Arsenal since I was 5. I was bullied at school for coming in dressed as Steve Foster for a "heroes" day when all the other kids were in Man Utd tops.

"Why do you support Brighton? They are RUBBISH". As a pathetic 5 year old I had no backbone and crumbled. I didn't want to go to the dark side of Man Utd so I decided on Arsenal because I like David Seaman and their English players (ironic).

24 years later and I'm stuck. I can't just switch off the supporting Arsenal as well, no matter how many intellectual "But you cant support two teams" arguments get thrown at me. If I could just switch it off then that would show I never followed them in the first place.

And to answer the usual question, when we've played each other I've supported Brighton. The 16 years of season tickets and sitting in the rain at Withdean JUST edges it :lolol:

When you're 5 and Brighton are in Division 3, you don't really comprehend the logic that your two teams could play each other.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Got no interest in football outside of Albion and England. I look out for the results of Bradford (Park Avenue, not the Manningham lot) but only about once a month. I never watch Premier or European games, I didn't even realise that Man U hadn't got out of their Champions' League group - mind you as I didn't even know they'd qualified this year that perhaps wasn't surprising. I couldn't tell you without looking who won the Prem last year, but at a guess it was either Chelsea or Man City.

I'm not saying any of this for effect, I genuinely have no interest. I probably knew all these things at the time they happened, (like who won Wimbledon or the British Grand Prix) but as I don't care none of the knowledge has 'stuck'. I have a passing interest in the Prem this year as I would love to see Leicester win it, even if it just an aberration before the Big Four resume their usual dominance.

And yes, I'm a Sky Sports subscriber, but there is SO much more to sport than football.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Yes Footy mad ! I will watch other televised games and other sports but for 'Live' footy experience it's normally the Amex or Bognor Regis Town or a local west sussex league side who my future son-in-law manages.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Used to, but it has drifted. watched all of Euro 96 and 2000, world cup 98 and 2002, used to watch match of the day religiously and play fantasy football, and it has all drifted now. Will catch the odd game if it seems interesting or is a match of the moment, e.g. watching a bit of Leicester right now, and keep up with the major news, but I'm surprised how little I care anymore. Never watch a champions league game. I think its because all the players I've grown up with have retired now, and all the new players are now revealed as the mercenaries they always have been. Not looking forward to Leicester's fire sale in the summer.

For me its BHA, cricket, international rugby union, baseball, England football, tennis grand slams, F1, then premier league, in that order

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Am much like Buzzer. Even when I have watched Match of the Day a fair bit I've never been able to remember many players.

Weirdly, though, I'm obsessed with football grounds.

WoodyOwl

Mar 10, 2016
Worthing
A lot of the Albion fans i seem to interact with (not all, and certainly it seems not NSC posters) have 2 teams, their associated glory team in the premier league and their so called home town team, you know the sort - would buy a half half scarf.

Issue for me is i cant win, My fair club Wednesday :lol: are either crap if we lose to you, or in the event of us beating you, we are crap compared to Man U.

Personally i love football, ill watch as much of it as i can, any league and any country but don't expect me to support any one other than Wednesday. I look forward to the abuse!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I watch as much football as I can. Mostly Championship / PL stuff but I do watch the odd random game here and there if I find a stream and I've got 90 minutes to spare.

I read a lot of footy books as well; not player auto-biographies but books about the game itself: tactics, money, history etc.

Oddly though I don't enjoy playing it at all. I think its because I'm not a massively competitive person and every time I've played its been with dominant alpha male types. No, I much prefer the tactical side of things. I've been toying with the idea of getting coaching badges but with no playing experience to speak of I don't know if it would be worth my time.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
A tough one. I love football. I don't follow anyone other than Brighton but if i turn the TV on and a game is on which appears worth watching I will watch it. I also follow games that Brighton may not be playing in but we have an interest in it such as tonight I will watch Middlesbrough v Hull if i can.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Surprised at how many people don't have any interest in football outside of the Albion.

I'm a complete football nerd. Love it, and follow all the top European leagues closely. Fantasy football, regular football bets etc. etc..

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Issue for me is i cant win, My fair club Wednesday[emoji38]are either crap if we lose to you, or in the event of us beating you, we are crap compared to Man U.

At least you're able to admit that they're crap either way, that's a big step to have taken.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
That'll be me then!

Nope, I'm not much of a football fan at all. It's Brighton and that's about it. I probably couldn't name more than 10 non-Albion players in the Championship without struggling.

Yep me too! I do read Four Four Two as I have done since issue one so Im "abreast" of things but I don't watch much footy other than teh Albion & Engerlund (and even then wonder who half the team are)

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
It's Albion first and foremost for me then England (any sport) and occasionally I watch CL if any English club are playing in later stages of comp. I have watched three games only in my life that haven't involved the Albion. I went to see Pompy vs Manu in 1975 with a girlfriends brother who supported Manu. QPR vs Newcastle about 1977-78 with a mate who liked Newcastle and Wimbledon vs Leeds at Selhurst Park mid 70s. I just don't like watching live football without the Albion.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I like to watch any football I can, basically because there is something quite relaxing about watching as a neutral, without all the stress that goes with watching your own team!

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Yes.... England
Its not a very popular opinion i have given how much money flows into the game at PL level to watch foreign(and English) players earn ridiculous money,but i wish all clubs had a small limit on how many foreign players could be on the pitch.Perhaps as little as 3 or 4.
I would love to see more English players in all clubs and filtering through from youth level instead of being discarded in favour of established foreigners,wont be popular with the armchair fans but this can only be good for the national game.And yes i have thoroughly enjoyed our recent foreign influence but i would thoroughly enjoy even more local talent getting more opportunities to play and improve

This in spades.

Last weekend I watched Man City on the box, all the players seemed to have names ending in "O". When I was young you had Book, Bell, Lee, Summerbee, Doyle, Oakes etc. good British names. WE will never win the World Cup or even the Euros until we have a quota system for foreign players (and I mean non-Brits, not just non-Euros).

boik

I love all football - all levels, all countries, but my interest does tend to wane if one team is parking the bus or playing hoofball. My favourite teams to watch were the Ajax and Holland teams of the early 70s.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
Surprises me how many people don't follow other football, really does. Mainly Premier League, Championship and Europe for me...I'll go to any game anywhere to see any team if I am in the vicinity for any reason...used to go watch Weymouth when I was based there in the RN, same in Pompey, Rangers when I was based in Scotland, Woking when I lived there...Brighton cos it's my local team and cheap season ticket...and tomorrow taking littelun to Chelsea v West Ham....Love my footie and have a soft spot for lots of teams for lots of reasons....

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Love all football but besotted with the Albion. The only thing that comes to that real involvement in a game though is England. Albion 1st though, nothing compares.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here