Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Do you have a milkman?

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
We have a milk man and Milk women (husband and wife team). They deliver at crack of dawn, so the milk is always there 1st thing in the morning. It is more expensive, but it saves me from having to remember to buy it. Plus, I'm getting a bit tired of big business always trying to shave money off the cost of something - to the detriment of the little guys. Tesco etc will be the death knell of our farming industry if we are not careful.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We used to have a milkman...I remember when gold top bottles used to have the foil nipped open and the ******* birds would drink all the cream that floated to the top.....also I remember when the milk would freeze on the doorstep and you would have a cream lollipop sticking out the top of the bottle.

It is also very strange that milk would go off after a couple of days yet modern stuff from the supermarkets go off after a couple of weeks!

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.
Used to have it delivered when I lived at home. I believe my folks still do. His name was Gerry and used to bomb round in a converted little suzuki van. One of the ones that are really easy to tip over. Used to get a massive tip at Xmas too.

Don't know if he's still delivering though. Haven't seen him about for a while.

Jerry is still delivering and still has his little van. I was a milkman for 30 years and now work for the company that supplies his milk. The reason no one sees them now is because most start delivering about midnight and are finished before anyone gets up. Everything can be ordered and paid for on line so no need for leaving cash out or him calling for money. For some customers these guys are one of their few contacts with the outside world and can be lifesavers. Over the years I have found several pensioners who have had a fall or taken ill and need an ambulance, I have also disturbed burglars and car thieves. I know it's expensive but it's not a bad thing to have a friendly face visit your house in the middle of the night.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Yep, had one for years. Only a single pint 3 times a week and we also buy in bulk from the supermarket

Sometimes bring the bottle of milk into work for the morning porridge and several comments from the younger ones...."didnt know they sold milk in bottles" !!

Yes I know its cheaper in the local Tesco, but there have been time when the delivery has been a godsend when the usual supply has run out

Always leave a tin of Chocs out each Christmas. Also do same for postie and bin men (its amazing what they will take away (for the rest of the year) for the price of a tin of quality street or 4 cans of Fosters)

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Never had milk delivered since I left home, don't see the point when I have to go out every day anyway.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
A) They're usually electric vehicles for the house-to-house deliveries. B) You of all people should know how much energy and raw materials are used up in making and then disposing of (and hopefully recycling) single-use plastic containers. Glass milk bottles don't even need to be 'traditionally' recycled, just washed and re-filled. C) Some people drive to a supermarket just to get milk.

However it's a valid point about home deliveries in general. The streets of Britain are now clogged with diesel-powered supermarket delivery vans dropping off single bags of shopping that people have ordered on-line. Another thread perhaps.

I don't complete disagree with you, but it's always so much more complex that it first seems. Electric vehicles are (currently) worse than petrol driven ones overall, as they use electricity generated inefficiently by burning fossils leading to increased CO2 emissions. However they are useful in the most polluted areas as they could help to improve local air quality. But one milk float (as per Lewes District Council's recycling trucks) is likely to hold up traffic more and therefore lead to more petrol being used. Glass is also much heavier than plastic therefore far more energy is used lugging it around. Glass bottles also take a lot more energy to make but, as you say, can be reused.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What's the going rate for tipping milk-persons and such like then?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't complete disagree with you, but it's always so much more complex that it first seems. Electric vehicles are (currently) worse than petrol driven ones overall, as they use electricity generated inefficiently by burning fossils leading to increased CO2 emissions. However they are useful in the most polluted areas as they could help to improve local air quality. But one milk float (as per Lewes District Council's recycling trucks) is likely to hold up traffic more and therefore lead to more petrol being used. Glass is also much heavier than plastic therefore far more energy is used lugging it around. Glass bottles also take a lot more energy to make but, as you say, can be reused.

Hmm. Well milk floats tend to operate when there isn't much other traffic, but that aside your post is an interesting condemnation of electric vehicles and defence of plastic containers - most people I come across from an environmental background tend to go the opposite way.. I do agree that it's more complex that "one way good, one way bad" which is why I get so pissed off with the likes of Chris Todd from Friends of the Earth who think Brighton (or specifically Rottingdean's) travel congestion can be cured by more bus lanes. Tosser. (I'd just read a quote from him before I made my original post).

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Hmm. Well milk floats tend to operate when there isn't much other traffic, but that aside your post is an interesting condemnation of electric vehicles and defence of plastic containers - most people I come across from an environmental background tend to go the opposite way.. I do agree that it's more complex that "one way good, one way bad" which is why I get so pissed off with the likes of Chris Todd from Friends of the Earth who think Brighton (or specifically Rottingdean's) travel congestion can be cured by more bus lanes. Tosser. (I'd just read a quote from him before I made my original post).

Well don't get me started on the 20mph speed limits in Brighton. This can only be bad for air quality IMHO. But the thousands of people dying from pollution aren't as obvious as the tiny number of people who get run over.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
I just milk the missus. Has a slightly tangy flavour but it's free, so I can't complain.

Jan 30, 2008
we took on the services of a milkman at some point in 2016.

I've never met colin (his name has not been changed to protect the innocent), but right now, on another sofa close to me, a christmas card is being written and one of those new play-money £5 notes is about to be popped inside.

I reckon less than 1 in 10 (probably less than 1 in 20) nscers have a milkman. Let's see...
he's my dad
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here