Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Do you have a driving licence?

Do you have a driving licence

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm a relatively new driver (2 years) so this is a genuine question - Do you not feel less in control, I can manage my speed by going up and down gears and at, for instance, a T Junction on a hill, I find it very easy to control with clutch and gas. Other half uses handbrake a lot more than me, maybe that's the answer.

Most modern automatics have hill start so if you stop going up an incline you just leave your foot on the brake and take it off and press the accelerator and the car will move forward without rolling back at all, something that is not guaranteed in a manual. If you don’t use the handbrake in a manual but balance it on clutch and accelerator I believe you will knacker your clutch much quicker. I was taught from when I started driving that “riding” the clutch is a no no unless you didn’t mind paying for a new clutch in double quick time.

Sounds to me like you are in fact riding your clutch!

Driving an automatic is much more relaxing and takes less effort but is much less involving than a manual. The new PDK gearboxes are supposed to be a big improvement on old automatics but I have never driven one so can’t comment. Given how much traffic there is in the south and the stopping and starting an automatic for daily driving is almost a no brainer imo. I have an automatic as well as a manual and I only use the manual if I fancy a bit of fun driving or for enjoyment over a weekend or holiday.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Car license for me.

Strangely, as an eligible bachelor, I only ever seem to date women who don’t drive. Which, as a country boy, seems utterly insane to me and is quite the inconvenience!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I learned to drive when I was 7. My dad used to be family friends with the Browns up at Barcome Mills who used to run the old boats.

He taught me to drive up the private road up to it. In his Datsun 120Y. So my car control has always been spot on since a very early age. I still remember the license plate.... SLR 315R. Brown exterior and brown velour interior:sick:

Only needed 10 lessons to learn manoeuvres properly and get some road sense but because the theory test deadline was approaching there was a massive wait for a test date so had to have another 10 to keep at it until my test date finally arrived. Was only £10 an hour back then.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
And have you had it long? I keep hearing that youngsters are bothering with driving these days

Is it true? There seem to be a feck of a a lot more cars on the roads year on year!

Poll shows manual car which obviously includes an automatic.

If you want to know about youngsters NSC probably isn't the best place to ask. I assume most of us are of Radio 2 listening age.

D

Deleted member 2719

I'm a relatively new driver (2 years) so this is a genuine question - Do you not feel less in control, I can manage my speed by going up and down gears and at, for instance, a T Junction on a hill, I find it very easy to control with clutch and gas. Other half uses handbrake a lot more than me, maybe that's the answer.

I would have thought the same as I was brought up with British Leyland Austin Allegro and Princesses and those Autos were very inefficient and drivability was poor at best. The modern Auto is very controllable and with traction control quick to put power through the road wheels. I have up and down paddles you can use very quickly if you wish to shift down quickly to give you a bit of engine braking.The only disadvantage I see is slightly lower fuel economy and because mine is rear wheel, there is a possibility they will be harder to drive in ice or snow condition. If your doing town and city driving they are a must nowadays IMO.

D

Deleted member 2719

I don’t race, but I’ve got a Zx6r which is a pure track bike. I do track days as often as I can afford it. Flying to Italy next Thursday for 3 days on track at Mugello. The buzz of track riding is incredible.

Wow I can imagine not sure i would want to go on a bike such as yours as it would be to tempting to race and I am way off that nowadays. Sprints or solo riding are more like my realistic capabilities!
Have a good time in Italy.:thumbsup: **He says will humongous amounts if envy**

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Most modern automatics have hill start so if you stop going up an incline you just leave your foot on the brake and take it off and press the accelerator and the car will move forward without rolling back at all, something that is not guaranteed in a manual. If you don’t use the handbrake in a manual but balance it on clutch and accelerator I believe you will knacker your clutch much quicker. I was taught from when I started driving that “riding” the clutch is a no no unless you didn’t mind paying for a new clutch in double quick time.

Driving an automatic is much more relaxing and takes less effort but is much less involving than a manual. The new PDK gearboxes are supposed to be a big improvement on old automatics but I have never driven one so can’t comment. Given how much traffic there is in the south and the stopping and starting an automatic for daily driving is almost a no brainer imo. I have an automatic as well as a manual and I only use the manual if I fancy a bit of fun driving or for enjoyment over a weekend or holiday.

A lot of modern manual cars now have hill assist as well. the wife's car does.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

All automatics have had hill start since the first one by use of a torque converter. If they didn’t they’d stall

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
At the ripe old age of 53 I started learning to drive in October last year. It was going pretty well and my instructor told to me to book my test in December, but then completely out of the blue I suffered a fit/seizure at work just before Christmas resulting in me being banned on medical grounds for 6 months. I've just been cleared to drive again by my neurologist and have re-applied for my licence, so hope to be back on the road soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here