Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you go to the gym ?

woodster

Jul 18, 2003
I meant it's not for me and I don't like being barked at by ex-soldier types who I found to be quite wanky and took it and themselves all a bit seriously. If you really needed it explained.

ex soldier types??? what like ex or still serving royal marines......that perhaps deserve a bit more respect than being called 'wanky ex army knobbers'. men and women who have served in iraq, afghan etc? please.......!!!!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Oh no, I wouldn't recommend that! You'd twist your ankles in a second. Jog up to the Downs, CityPArks, Hove outdoor Gym, Long seafront paths. It's all there people!

Your right,also if in Brighton plenty of hills,find a down hill one first to warm up,then a gradual one to build up preferably with a steep incline at the top and then a down hill section again to warm down.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
ex soldier types??? what like ex or still serving royal marines......that perhaps deserve a bit more respect than being called 'wanky ex army knobbers'. men and women who have served in iraq, afghan etc? please.......!!!!

Christ. Here we bloody go. I really don't give enough of a shit about the whole topic to get into this so consider your rant noted.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Your right,also if in Brighton plenty of hills,find a down hill one first to warm up,then a gradual one to build up preferably with a steep incline at the top and then a down hill section again to warm down.

Downs are great for interval/Fartlek training.

woodster

Jul 18, 2003
For what its worth.....staying on topic......

....British military fitness Brighton, come highly recommended, from me at least. It really works and despite findings from nibbles to the contrary, everyone is really friendly and it's fun even in the snow.

On a personal level, 3 years ago I was a 14 1/2 stone blob, barely able to get round the block......now I'm 3 stone lighter and my current marathon PB is 3.20.50 (not a world record granted) but.....I wouldn't have achieved what I have without the friends I now have at Bmf...including the 'wanky ex army knobbers'.....as nibbles puts it.

If you're bored with the gym.....give it a go, you might enjoy it!!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yep, I go 3 times a week. Currently on a 10 week GP referral scheme after heart problems back in June. Feel better for it afterwards.

Once in the gym. Twice circuit training.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

....British military fitness Brighton, come highly recommended, from me at least. It really works and despite findings from nibbles to the contrary, everyone is really friendly and it's fun even in the snow.

On a personal level, 3 years ago I was a 14 1/2 stone blob, barely able to get round the block......now I'm 3 stone lighter and my current marathon PB is 3.20.50 (not a world record granted) but.....I wouldn't have achieved what I have without the friends I now have at Bmf...including the 'wanky ex army knobbers'.....as nibbles puts it.

To be serious, if it works for you it cannot be knocked and I know some people who love it. the fact is, if it's motivated you and it's worked I am the idiot here. 3 stones? That is pretty good work.

woodster

Jul 18, 2003
No worries nibbles......

That's the key thing with fitness, it's about finding what works for an individual. The problem with the gym is that generally they are very unsociable and it's very easy getting stuck on a plateau where any improvement is difficult beyond that. Peer pressure, team work and an almost stealth like session where you working hard but don't actually realise what you've done until you are in bits at the end is why Bmf works so well.

But......
If you want to look like the man Statham.....go to a gym and lift heavy stuff...... and live on a chicken farm!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
No worries nibbles......

That's the key thing with fitness, it's about finding what works for an individual. The problem with the gym is that generally they are very unsociable and it's very easy getting stuck on a plateau where any improvement is difficult beyond that. Peer pressure, team work and an almost stealth like session where you working hard but don't actually realise what you've done until you are in bits at the end is why Bmf works so well.

But......
If you want to look like the man Statham.....go to a gym and lift heavy stuff...... and live on a chicken farm!

Ha! Very true, I used to lift heavy shit down the gym but happy with my weights at home and outdoors fitness now, seems to keep me in pretty good shape but luckily I've never been overweight due to lifetime of exercise and military boarding school. I do have a weakness for huge burgers though! Anyway, keep up the good work!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

3:20 at 26.2 miles I damn good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On the subject of Military fitness as previously mentioned I see them a lot on the seafront and I struggle to take them seriously. I have seen the main man strutting around in camo with a huge pack on his back giving it the full sargent major to groups of girls. It's comical.

woodster

Jul 18, 2003
On the subject of Military fitness as previously mentioned I see them a lot on the seafront and I struggle to take them seriously. I have seen the main man strutting around in camo with a huge pack on his back giving it the full sargent major to groups of girls. It's comical.

Come and grab a green bib, perhaps a body bar or med ball and give it a whirl.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Perpetuality

I started doing a 50 min loop on my bike through the back streets of Abu Dhabi at 5.30am (only time you can tackle these roads) during the week and I think I've missed two mornings in the past month.

It may only be working certain muscles - my calves are much bigger, but feel so much better sat at my desk.

Also means I can have a good feed and not feel too bad.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Oh. Cheers for heads up :thumbsup:

Just to balance it up. Me and the Mrs use Impulse, and both find it brilliant.
We joined when they had a special offer of £20.12 a month.
Think it is running out soon, and will be £35'ish.
For that you can use Lancing gym, Southwick gym and Wadurs swimming pool.

Jan 30, 2008
Just to balance it up. Me and the Mrs use Impulse, and both find it brilliant.
We joined when they had a special offer of £20.12 a month.
Think it is running out soon, and will be £35'ish.
For that you can use Lancing gym, Southwick gym and Wadurs swimming pool.
that's good value for a deodorant :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here