Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you go to the gym ?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Went to the gym a couple of times after the getting run over days. I was a touch monged at the time and couldn't work out how to use the lockers in which i stored my trousers, so i simply shut it. Returned to find someone had taken the £17 i had in the pockets. This was in disability use hour. Nice.
I run a few times a week, cycle to and from work and play football two evenings too. I'd never want to enter those generally bland cartons and trot a distance without seeing anything on my way, whilst countless others don't see anything alongside me. I much prefer the outdoors to leg it around and bump into things as i go and leap out of the way of things and suddenly come to a halt when two wrestling hounds seem to be tussling and slathering in my direction. There are countless surprises in the world and i'd for an eternity rather chance upon them, good and bad, than run on the spot or outrow the person on the machine beside me.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yep, just got back from an hour in the gym and 40 lengths in the outside pool at virgin club falmer. Normally 5 times a week incl Piilates 3 times a week.

woodster

Jul 18, 2003
4 times a week is good going but don't burn out !
I belong to LA Fitness and a boxing gym. I have a large selection of weights and kit at home which I use every day but occassionally I want a steam room/swim etc change of scene so will pop into gym. I prefer doing fitness training in a nice park though. Not with those wanky Ex-Army knobber's though. I can motivate myself quite happily without paying through the nose for it to be shouted at by bull necked thugs.

Oh?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Was a member at Virgin Active for 6 months. Money wasted imo.
I run 5K 4-5 times a week and play football on Saturdays. It's cold out there but with a good playlist it's free and gets the job done!

D

Deleted member 18477

It's quite intimidating walking into a gym for the first time, wanting to go over to the weights but seeing dozens of ripped men taking all the machines. For that reason I've tended to stick to cardio...

When i first started i was intimidated. So i use to go at quieter times to begin with. Most people are pretty friendly in the gym mate - ripped/big or not.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Get in there and smash some weights! Lots of good youtube videos around so you can see how to do each exercise. Just leave your ego at the door unlike a select few and don't lift a weight too heavy. You want the last 2 reps of the last set per exercise to be a struggle to complete basically. That's a beginners guide.

And remember to get some decent food down you at some point after the workout. You don't have to have protein shakes and all that. Just some good protein and carbs.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Believe it or not I do regularly followed by a massive fry up at the pub round the corner my arteries are clear and so is my conscious !!
I'm quite fit for a fat bloke !!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Whilst we are on the subject, does anybody here know how much Southwick Leisure Centre is for a monthly membership?

Seriously, don't even consider using Impulse Leisure. I used to use them and the customer service was less than poor then. Since then my girlfriend has used them and they've actually got worse !!!! The Duty Managers, in particular Aaron and Amber, couldn't give a flying f*** about running the centre for the CUSTOMERS.

The staff are more interested in getting home or playing basketball instead of looking after customers ( they actually left a 12 year old unsupervised in the gym the other week so they could play basketball in the main hall ). The health and hygiene is awful - no soap of hand gel throughout the building for a week. You have to ask to have the steamroom and sauna switched on at least an hour before you want it and they jet spray the changing rooms while peoples clothes are hanging up. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

The CEO really couldn't give a toss - his response to numerous complaints was effectively like it or lump it.

Most the staff are moronic idiots who care more about reading their mobile phones than the customer.

My girlfriend paid an all inclusive price of £50 per month but has now joined Freedom Leisure with the same package for £39.

AVOID SOUTHWICK AND LANCING GYMS LIKE THE PLAGUE !!!!!!!!!!!

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
When i first started i was intimidated. So i use to go at quieter times to begin with. Most people are pretty friendly in the gym mate - ripped/big or not.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Get in there and smash some weights! Lots of good youtube videos around so you can see how to do each exercise. Just leave your ego at the door unlike a select few and don't lift a weight too heavy. You want the last 2 reps of the last set per exercise to be a struggle to complete basically. That's a beginners guide.

And remember to get some decent food down you at some point after the workout. You don't have to have protein shakes and all that. Just some good protein and carbs.

Cheers, I might spend some time on YouTube looking at how-to's and things.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
have a small one at work so do 40 minutes a day there and then go for a proper session at Fitness First some weekends and some morning - that would be hour in gym and 30 mins swim

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I prefer doing fitness training in a nice park though. Not with those wanky Ex-Army knobber's.

I see various groups of the Army Fitness lot very early in the morning if I go running. It's nearly always females as well. Whilst women say they want equality do they secretly like being shouted at and told what to do by a man?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I see various groups of the Army Fitness lot very early in the morning if I go running. It's nearly always females as well. Whilst women say they want equality do they secretly like being shouted at and told what to do by a man?

Yes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No, not a gym member but I love putting my ipod on and running along the seafront. I have been going out at 6am recently and it's brilliant.....pitch black and the only other weirdos out and about this time of the morning are other weirdo runners and perverts walking dog. Unlike other times of the day everyone says hello to each as well; it's like a secret society.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I had been 3 times in my life, that was until a month ago. I have now been 4 times each week since I joined a month ago, and I am loving it !

Don't really know what's changed, maybe the fact I am now 40+ and realised I need to do something.

Would never of dreamt about doing so much excersise before, but something just clicked in my brain, and now I can't get enough of it !

Have you got a Gym Fixed It For Me badge?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I'm currently studying to be a qualified PT so I have a temporary membership with Fitness First in Brighton. Before that I rarely used the gym because I played football 2/3 times a week, and see my personal trainer once a week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here