Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you eat bread?

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Lot of salt in bread..........I eat wholemeal - I have lost 4 or 5 lbs since giving up other bread.....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Wholemeal Pitta = Winning.

Also, Sweet Potatoes are a good alternative to starchier carbs.

My wife is on a diet where she is cutting out starchy carbs. Has a baked sweet potato when we are having a roast. Me and the kids still have spuds but it's the only time I do. We've found lots of great recipes (I do like cooking and have thus experimented) including a smoked haddock African curry with brown rice. stir fries and noodle soups using rice noodles and having other meals where we cut out the starch all together - fish with roasted veg and stews or curries without the rice / potato element. She has also cut out bread whereas I haven't. I feel a bit better but haven't lost much weight. She's lost half a stone already though :thumbsup:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
On the advice of my partner I have replaced my normal breakfast of two thick slices of toast + butter and marmite with 2 toasted crumpets and marmite. Moderately tasty - I await the outcome weight wise with interest.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Those of you who have lost weight from giving up bread, is that all you've done or is it part of a training regime ?

I used to have sandwiches and a pkt of crisps for lunch every day.
I very rarely eat bread, chocolate or cheese.
I have salad every day and eat a lot more fruit.
I cut down on beer from 2-3 500 ml cans a night to 1 330ml.
Thinking of stopping alcohol for a month or two in a bid to get to my ideal weight of 78 kilos. (2.5-3 to go but really hard to shift the last bit)

Over 12 months have lost 16 kilos. Also took some more exercise but with a dodgy hip it's not so easy.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Will someone please cure me of this addiction.

My plan to eat less bread by having tortillas instead, didn't last.
I'm now ploughing my way through bagels like a Palestinian baker who's just heard a knock at the door.
Even I know that can't be good.

That's as well as a loaf of crappy wholemeal, and any 'nice' bread I can stuff crispy bacon into before gorging myself.

I'd be about 5 stone lighter if it wasn't for bread.

I find it hard sometime not to eat bread; had the flu and bread with soup is just so easy and convenient. I've found the best way to control what i eat is to make sure i have a great breakfast; no bowl of cereal but something more substantial. This means getting up earlier but the rewards will last a good third of the day so you don't feel hungry and can make you next choice of meal from a more controlled place. As I've said my preference is scrambled eggs with hash browns.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I agree to a point. I mean you don't see many Ethiopians claiming wheat intolerance! Basic bread is fine it's the chemicals they put in that's the problem. Even those artisan, fresh baked non sliced loaves made by the limbless albinos of the Himalyas are full of shit. "But this was made by Simeon at our local farmers market". I don't care if Fu Man Chu made it with his feet, it's gutrot.

If you knew countless people who had worked in sunblest in woodingdean you would know chemicals were the least of your worries

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
There nothing wrong with eating bread unless you have coeliacs disease. Its what goes on bread that makes you fat, butter, cheese etc.

ITs just another food fad, cutting wheat, and not suprised NSC's Stupid brigade are going for it.

Yes bread has sugar in it but so does a lot of food these days that shouldn't. That is the biggest recent change in diets, ready meals and processed food. You are better of cutting out that shit than bread from the coop for example.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
There nothing wrong with eating bread unless you have coeliacs disease. Its what goes on bread that makes you fat, butter, cheese etc.

ITs just another food fad, cutting wheat, and not suprised NSC's Stupid brigade are going for it.

Yes bread has sugar in it but so does a lot of food these days that shouldn't. That is the biggest recent change in diets, ready meals and processed food. You are better of cutting out that shit than bread from the coop for example.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

Your right breads the least of your problems.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
For me cutting out bread works....everytime. I occasionally eat bread but just cutting it out for a week to ten days, I'll lose weight. But no good then bulking up with equally carbohydrate packed food like potatoes, rice and pasta.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
That is the biggest recent change in diets, ready meals and processed food. You are better of cutting out that shit than bread from the coop for example.

Bread is processed food so you're contradicting yourself there.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I have just run out of bread but rather than go out to the shops I'm making pancakes and pretending they are bread.

If I do buy bread chewy brown from real patisserie is rather good. Just always try to get something not made by the chorleywood bread process.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I try and limit my intake as I notice I feel more bloated when I do have a lot, however the lure of Ravens the bakery is often too powerful :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My bounce wasn't anything to do with faddy diets or bloatedness, I'm all about the 'addiction'.

I just love the stuff.

The fact that in the Summer when I managed to go a few weeks reducing my intake of the delicious crunchy doughy goodness, the weight fell off, is just a bonus.

Bread and sugar are my absolute achilles heel.
There's no way I can give up sugar, so bread it is, it's just easier said than done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here