Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you donate old clothes to charity shops ?

I regularly take old clobber down the local charity shops and as I frequently shop in the same shops I do see my gear on the hangers. It's always interesting to see how they've priced up my old garb.

I can imagine it's not too hard for charity shop staff to requisition anything they see come in that they really fancy but they'd still have to pay for it and bear in mind there may only be two people working at any one time and donations are being received at all hours so if you've got two old Doris' receiving a bin bag of gentleman's jeans, they probably stick the lot out on the shelves as they'd be of no interest to them.

I'd very much doubt staff would steal the items although of course many of them aren't actually volunteering and are in fact there on community service, albeit under the watchful eye of a supervisor.

Round Kemptown way I have found some absolute steals including a wonderful jacket from Parisien designer Sonia Rykiel for £10 which I looked up online and had a four figure price tag. I've got some lovely Armani jeans (£10), a Milano designer suit jacket (£10), a full pinstripe whistle with waistcoat from River Island (£12) and some cracking retro/vintage t-shirts and hoodies. I'm often amazed at the amount of items that are brand new and unworn you can dig up too, sometimes even with the original shop tags still on.

Being so spoiled for choice with charity shop bargains the only articles of clothing I buy new these days are my shoes as I just love a fresh and crisp pair of shiny new sneaks

Quite. Always happy to donate stuff to Charity Shops and never have a problem buying stuff from them either. For those who like rummaging in such places Uckfield has 13 all within easy browsing distance of each other.

Northstandfan

Dec 14, 2014
Mid sussex
if you use charity bags put through your door, look on the back as I had one that said in the small print only 10% of the money raised goes to the charity list on the front. We now take all our stuff in to Help the aged in Haywards Heath. I get a letter every 6 month telling me what my donations have raised, not life changing but every little helps. Also any clothes that are not fit for sale in the shop, ripped etc are sold for rags so they generate cash that way.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Yes, I also buy books from them give them back once I have read them.
I buy my shorts for work there as well, as they always end up wrecked.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The majority of old clothes don't go into the Charity shops to be sold.

They are sold as a bulk ''job lot'' so to speak to African countries.

On arrival there, they are then sorted and they hit a ''pecking order'' system where the best are picked out and the well known labels are sold first and after that they go further down a market style chain.

There was a ''BBC World'' Documentary which was hosted by the guy in the wheelchair who reports for the BBC and who used to be in the GB Para Olympic Basketball team. Cant remember his name

Are you talking about old stock/product overruns (ie cleared out by the manufacturers) or charity donations? I understand that some clothing that is meant to be given to the poor ends up being intercepted and sold by market traders here but I have no idea how much. Far too much I am sure.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
There is a guy who sits outside the local supermarket everyday. When throwing clothes out my wife and I always offer them to him first.
The rest we leave in a bag next to the bin for people who need them. There are plenty of homeless here, who actually need them to wear, or if they sell them for money, so be it! Hopefully that will help them.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
if you use charity bags put through your door, look on the back as I had one that said in the small print only 10% of the money raised goes to the charity list on the front. We now take all our stuff in to Help the aged in Haywards Heath. I get a letter every 6 month telling me what my donations have raised, not life changing but every little helps. Also any clothes that are not fit for sale in the shop, ripped etc are sold for rags so they generate cash that way.

Great. Except Help the Aged doesn't exist any more.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Filling up a charity bag at the moment with clothes I don't need anymore. Gets collected tomorrow.

Bags through the door do prompt me to go through what I can get rid of. My only concern is that I'm not sure if some of the charities are that genuine, though at least its not going to landfill.

Bought a dinner suit from a Charity shop for all of £8 a few years back. It wasn't still warm............

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
The majority of old clothes don't go into the Charity shops to be sold.

They are sold as a bulk ''job lot'' so to speak to African countries.

On arrival there, they are then sorted and they hit a ''pecking order'' system where the best are picked out and the well known labels are sold first and after that they go further down a market style chain.

There was a ''BBC World'' Documentary which was hosted by the guy in the wheelchair who reports for the BBC and who used to be in the GB Para Olympic Basketball team. Cant remember his name

Ade Adepitan. Massive business in Africa, see http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3NCQT8fPDn9KfbLGmqqGZvF/the-secret-life-of-your-clothes

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Just seen a van being loaded up with bags of clothes outside the Guild Care charity shop in Rowlands Road Worthing, where is it all being taken ? Aren't donations sold in the shop ?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Being so spoiled for choice with charity shop bargains the only articles of clothing I buy new these days are my shoes as I just love a fresh and crisp pair of shiny new sneaks

Same here - except as well as shoes I do also buy new socks and underwear........

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Any time I'm having a clear out its always gone to shelter's charity shop in Worthing, now that's shut I've taken some bits and bobs down to the Worthing Cat Welfare one in the Guildbourne because that's where my last two moms have come from.

I'd find it interesting to find out if anyone from here genuinely buys clothes from charity shops? I do quite often if there's something i like - on the road where I live there's about 6 of them so if I've gone for a wander I'll have a look. Always surprised there are as many fat gits out there as me to be honest!!!!

Regularly buy items from charity shops. I bought a Cat (erpiller) jacket the other month and some jumpers recently. But I mainly buy books, read and return or curiose.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Just seen a van being loaded up with bags of clothes outside the Guild Care charity shop in Rowlands Road Worthing, where is it all being taken ? Aren't donations sold in the shop ?

Guild Care have a big warehouse in East Worthing called The Greenhouse. Donated clothes were probably being picked up to go there for sorting?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here