Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you clap at the end of films in the cinema?

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
No I don't clap at the end of films in the cinema - it's just ridiculous.

If the cast or anyone behind the making of the film were present (i.e, at a premiere or one of those Q & A specials that they do at the Duke of York's), then fine.

But at a regular screening... :ffsparr:

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I must say I have done this, only once mind and I think everyone on the plane did the same after the plane was almost sideways trying to land at Gatwick.

I can't abide the clappers on a usual landing, but have been in a couple of landings at Leeds Bradford in high winds when the pilot has certainly earned his pay and the whole plane has broken into clapping.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think it's really, really odd!

Because screaming and laughing are involuntary immotional responses. I don't really see the comparison.

I think it can be a natural reaction to applaud to show satisfaction, no? A "learned" natural reaction, if you get me, but still nontheless.

It's an American phenomenon that's worked it's way over here in recent times - Odeon, Duke of Porks or Cineworld. In the States I've been in cinemas where they've clapped and whooped at trailers for films.

Yep, it's American, and it's well ghey.

Cult film fans will want to follow suit because their pseudo-intellectualising will be gratiated by doing it. They want a good pasting and a shoeing.

Other than that, it's alright.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Because screaming and laughing are involuntary immotional responses. I don't really see the comparison.

Have you never shouted at the TV when you're at home? Perhaps to show your disagreement with a decision/answer on a quiz show?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I'm not a fan of happy-clappy in cinemas, but then I suppose all the shuffling out in silence could be construed as a bit strange as well. Maybe cinema-goers could chant "Here we go, here we go, here we go" as they file out post-movie as a middle-ground compromise between silence and clapping.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
I think it can be a natural reaction to applaud to show satisfaction, no? A "learned" natural reaction, if you get me, but still nontheless.

It never use to happen so does that mean that we have only recently learned to enjoy ourselves? I use applause at the cinema as a signal to get up and walk out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It never use to happen so does that mean that we have only recently learned to enjoy ourselves? I use applause at the cinema as a signal to get up and walk out.

Society changes all the time. Different things come in and out.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
On more than one occasion I've been on a plane and a bunch of people (Americans) have applauded when it's touched down on the runway.

Yay! Go pilot! Way to do your actual job!

Could be worse, they could play a tune when you landed...

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
Have done a couple of times, at the end of the Premiere of Terminator 2, got caught up in it because it was full up and others did as well. Also when me and my bro where about the only one's watching Buffalo Soldiers because we thought it was a great film and had a laugh.

Usually though, of course not, it's a bit like standing up whenever you hear the national anthem on the telly or radio, ridiculous.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Nope, never had anyone clap after a film and I certainly have never felt the need to either.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I only clap if i'm at the film festival as the makers of it are likely there and deserve some credit for daring to show their wares. If not, then i've no one to clap but the projection man and the burly chap who came to expel those natterers in the back row. It does seem madness to applaud a personless screen or just the idea of something if the theorist is not within earshot.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here