Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you charge your kids "keep"

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Assuming your still getting Child Benefit for her then no I don't think you should. However if you think you need to do something as a gesture, cancel the multi room and say if she wants it she'll have to pay for it.

When my stepson was at college we did exactly this, he wanted sky in his room so had to pay for it, but nothing else as we still got child benefit. Once he got a "proper" job it was 20-25% of weekly earnings.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
She seems to be making a pretty good fist of things and her 'wages' should be taking her out of the usual stuff such as travel, clothes and social expenses, so she is in a way 'paying her way'.

As she works hard for very little and is at college earning her qualification, personally dont see the rush to get her to contribute any more, of course when she starts working full time, then fill yer boots.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Of course. I always paid 25% of my income until the day I left home at 25. Gets you thinking about money and how to budget ect. Didn't seem that bad when I was earning about £100 a week. Became slightly more of a annoyance when I was earning £500 a week!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
MY boy is 18 and still at college (a "misundrstanding" means he is re-doing his AS levels), he hasnt got a paid job but works one day a week for a local charity and I give him £75 allowance all the time he stays there. He's also required to do a few jobs around the house (clearing kitchen after dinner is his regular gig).

If he was working I would be saying he can either give me 25% rent or put 25% into a savings account

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
It sounds like she's a credit to you by working hard, and for very little. Even by making her pay for the multi room thing it seems like your penalising her for working as hard as she is. I'd wait till she was in full time employment. I lived with my folks when I was working ft, and gave them £100 a week.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Must admit, I didn't take anything off my two when they were at college (16-18). If kids don't ask for money for clothes, etc I would deem that as a result.

I found there was no point whilst the eldest went to Uni either, as he was always broke ( my youngest moved out, once he started working). Uni taught my eldest the value of money.

It would, of course, be a different matter if my kids had left education and were in full-time employment. Then they should be expected to contribute.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
once i had a job i always had to pay keep. i think its a good idea it may nor be alot but at least instills the basic principal of having to pay your way.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
As a starting point I would suggest she paid the sky multiroom cost, is it still £10 a month and the point when you stop getting child benefit ask her for keep assuming she is earning in her own right

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Of course. I always paid 25% of my income until the day I left home at 25. Gets you thinking about money and how to budget ect. Didn't seem that bad when I was earning about £100 a week. Became slightly more of a annoyance when I was earning £500 a week!

And you admitted the full amount you were on :)n

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Daughter is 16. She's a good kid and i'm very proud of her.

She's at college for 2 years studying travel and tourism. She also has several part time jobs including waitressing in he local, working in New Look and some cleaning for a friend. She has no travel expenses as she walks to college. She takes home around £300 a month

She does live at home but spends most nights at her boyfriends.

Presently, she doesn't pay us a penny in "keep". But i think she should contribute to the household...and my wife doesn't.

I earnt £40 a week as a 16 year old and paid my folks £10 a week.

My daughter spends her money on clothes, haircuts, new fingernails etc etc...she doesn't save a penny. I cook her dinners and buy all food, toiletries etc, she also has sky multiroom in her room and she does sod all around the house.

My parents spoil her rotten, they're saving up for her driving lessons, first car, insurance etc and have around £5k for that so there's no incentive for her to save.

I think she should be contributing around 15% of her wages per month.

What do you think ?

I would be more concerned with encouraging her to accept some roles around the house, cooking dinner a couple of days a week, washing up, laundry, tidying her room, she should be contributing in that way.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Your daughter is making a fool of you, she clearly has no awareness of the sacrifices you've made for her. As a parent I know it won't be easy, but if you want the best for her future you should really kick her out.

Sorry, I've been arguing with Mustafa again - it brings out the worst in me.

Charge her a small amount, and put everything she gives you into savings for her to use when she needs it.

This seems a good idea as she is saving nothing....something that perhaps she needs to be talked about, a good habit to get into.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
If you're receiving child benefit then in some ways she's paying her keep. If she was in full time work then I would say go for it, but it's part time and what she's earned she should be allowed to spend. I pay for my own sky in my room, which if she is earning then she probably should. If my parents asked me to pay keep at the moment I would be upset.

Your daughter is making a fool of you, she clearly has no awareness of the sacrifices you've made for her. As a parent I know it won't be easy, but if you want the best for her future you should really kick her out.

She's 16. Where is she going to go?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This seems a good idea as she is saving nothing....something that perhaps she needs to be talked about, a good habit to get into.
Mr Sheen agreed, but thinks she shouldn't be told it's being saved.
Charge it to her, give it her back as a lump sum when she moves out or goes to uni. Don't tell her that's what you're doing though.
Personally I'd tell her, as she'll think better of you (jevs) for it, and I can't see the harm in a child liking her parents.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Mr Sheen agreed, but thinks she shouldn't be told it's being saved.

Personally I'd tell her, as she'll think better of you (jevs) for it, and I can't see the harm in a child liking her parents.

We done this with ours and didn't tell them we were putting it aside.

They got the money with interest when they bought/rented. Had they known it was being put aside they would likely have wanted to use it for other stuff.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
She's 16. Where is she going to go?
Were you not able to read the rest of my post? I think it's fairly clear I was joking.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Had they known it was being put aside they would likely have wanted to use it for other stuff.
They could be told that they don't have a choice of where it goes - make it clear it's not for a holiday etc, or whatever you decide.

How old were yours when you started charging, how much did you charge, and were they earning much?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
No I wouldn't. my daughters also at college and has a part time job, but wouldn't ask for a contribution from her until she's in full time employment, then that would depend on what she was earning.

Tyreman123

Jun 27, 2013
WE charge our Kids 20% of take home for rent! that seems fair and gets them used to paying for when they leave home!

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Daughter is 16. She's a good kid and i'm very proud of her.

She's at college for 2 years studying travel and tourism. She also has several part time jobs including waitressing in he local, working in New Look and some cleaning for a friend. She has no travel expenses as she walks to college. She takes home around £300 a month

She does live at home but spends most nights at her boyfriends.

Presently, she doesn't pay us a penny in "keep". But i think she should contribute to the household...and my wife doesn't.

I earnt £40 a week as a 16 year old and paid my folks £10 a week.

My daughter spends her money on clothes, haircuts, new fingernails etc etc...she doesn't save a penny. I cook her dinners and buy all food, toiletries etc, she also has sky multiroom in her room and she does sod all around the house.

My parents spoil her rotten, they're saving up for her driving lessons, first car, insurance etc and have around £5k for that so there's no incentive for her to save.

I think she should be contributing around 15% of her wages per month.

What do you think ?
It's good she's working. However it seems she needs to think a bit more about the future. Better to get her to try and save for her own independence. It's not a popular view but we need the mother of a housing crashes to help potential first time buyers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here