Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Do What You Likies

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Pitched up at Morrisons in Worthing yesterday, mass disorder in town last night, at least 4 pubs smashed up and staff / guests terrorised. 2 of those pubs closed at least today for repairs.

Lovely lot.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Add them to the cull..

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
We had a load that pitched up on the common near us a few weeks ago. Got turfed out after one night, volunteers were still picking up their rubbish a week later. Lots of security tags dumped in the bushes, a few random assaults in town, police called for groups of people using fake 50s in local shops etc. Lovely folk.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
You rarely hear of arrests and punishment. Appears that the Councils have forced the Police and CPS to compromise with them “if they move on after a few days”; yet the law abiding Council Tax payers have to pick up the mess and pay for it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You rarely hear of arrests and punishment. Appears that the Councils have forced the Police and CPS to compromise with them “if they move on after a few days”; yet the law abiding Council Tax payers have to pick up the mess and pay for it.

Speaking to the landlord of one pub, rightly or wrongly the police tactic was to contain them and wait outside the pub - rather than intervene. Good for the police as they didn’t get their heads kicked in. Bad for the businesses with smashed up pubs and now have to spend thousands / tens of thousands of pounds to repair + be shut for a weekends trade

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This country is more interested in the human rights of these burglars, thieves, defrauders of the old. A typical other move, people in hospitality have told me, is to feast on a huge meal at a restaurant, then an in-ya-face "I'm not paying because there was something wrong with the food". Similarly men's barbers do their best, then are told I don't like it, not paying.

It's not in their dna to do good work, pay taxes, be honest.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
when I was fitting in London, I rocked up for work one day at Tottenham Hale retail park Carpet Right, Travellers had arrived and taken over a section of the large car park, filth everywhere and they had only been on the car park overnight, I had forgotten somethings for the second job so had to go back to the shop, the back door was locked as usual and no one was answering the buzzer, so I reluctantly walked round to the front and there was big commotion going on as the manger and several members of staff were holding the doors shut, and some travellers kids were kicking the doors, I waited a bit and they moved on, the manager let me as the several police cars arrived, one to B&Q one to Carpet right and another to one of the other shops (i think Lidl)

They obviously were just running riot over the retail site, the manager then went on to explain that kids had been in nicking rugs, and anything not tied down, This particular Carpet right had a shop in shop renting space off them, and sold Bathroom/Kitchen ware and it turns out several of the kids had taken shits in the display toilets !!

They were gone the next morning, as were a few large off cuts (remnants) of carpet, they had bent the shutters at the back door and got in.

They don't endear themselves to folk do they, they thrive on intimidation and scream prejudice at the same time.

Last edited:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
This country is more interested in the human rights of these burglars, thieves, defrauders of the old. A typical other move, people in hospitality have told me, is to feast on a huge meal at a restaurant, then an in-ya-face "I'm not paying because there was something wrong with the food". Similarly men's barbers do their best, then are told I don't like it, not paying.

Is the correct answer. When we had an invasion at Victoria Park a few years ago I contacted my local Councillor. He told me nothing could be done to move them on until the Council had conducted a "welfare assessment". Why they should be entitled to any public service when they never pay taxes is beyond me.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Acid bath the lot

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Interesting that you are the first person to make this statement on this thread.

I think the issue here is one for the police who enforce the laws and the government who make the laws.

We have had 12 years of conservative rule. If this is what is happening now then this is the result of their governance and nothing else.

As a labour member I have nothing to say that is positive on behalf of people who camp illegally, conduct criminal activity and leave a place like a shit hole. I would be astonished if anyone comes on this thread to speak in their defense.

I am sure you can find someone on the internet who will 'whatabout' something or other, but I don't see any point, though :shrug:

As for your 'DNA' comment, I think this is very ill judged. Criminality in a culture is not genetic. Even if Hitler maintained it was.....and he of course had a final solution for gypsies, whether criminal or not.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Regrettably, these stories are not blind prejudice. They really happen. Many people here in Patcham have similar stories. But they happen abroad as well.

We were camping in Colmar, Alsace one year in an idyllic campsite by the river. When we arrived, there were some British travellers there who went into a huddle, and then got into their vehicles and set off at high speed, without paying their bills. When we went to the restaurant that evening, we got a frosty reception from the staff, until they realised we were not a part of the traveller group.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I had a narrow financial escape, early this summer.

WFH one day, there was a knock at the door, it was two 30 year old gentlemen with southern Irish accents. "They'd spotted a loose hip roof tile, were working on an old gents house down the road, did I want them to have a free look at it because was dangerous?"

In the moment, polite me made the fatal mistake of saying yes.

[It was loose btw before they arrived, but they were the first to notice it].

To cut a long story short, within 30 minutes things had escalated to a cash quote of £2,600 with scaffolding.

My elderly Dad was coming round, I hated the whole thing and felt intimidated, but I got him to be a witness when I turned them down. They'd been relentless in knocking on the door up until then.

Huge lesson learnt, DO NOT ALLOW THE CONVERSATION TO EVEN GET GOING IN THE FIRST PLACE. So easy to see how people are stung.

By a big coincidence, friends neighbour's were having a new closeboard fence installed a fortnight later, 5 miles away in a different part of the city. Low and behold, it was the same two blokes.

Not funny ... they were putting in 2.4m posts in 30cm footings, on a very windy hilltop by the coast. That won't last one storm.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It seems to me that a legal framework this complicated is recipe for chaos.

https://www.gypsy-traveller.org/pdfs/The_law_relating_to.pdf

Current laws were set in 2015:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...egal_and_unauthorised_encampments_-_final.pdf

Still too complicated.

Unfortunately it is almost inescapable that there will be a need for a precise legal definition of 'nuisance', 'encampment', 'rubbish', 'shelter', 'temporary' etc. etc.

I can't offer any solutions. This seems to work well, though:

Faversham 1.PNG
Faversham 2.PNG

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Interesting that you are the first person to make this statement on this thread.

I think the issue here is one for the police who enforce the laws and the government who make the laws.

We have had 12 years of conservative rule. If this is what is happening now then this is the result of their governance and nothing else.

As a labour member I have nothing to say that is positive on behalf of people who camp illegally, conduct criminal activity and leave a place like a shit hole. I would be astonished if anyone comes on this thread to speak in their defense.

I am sure you can find someone on the internet who will 'whatabout' something or other, but I don't see any point, though :shrug:

As for your 'DNA' comment, I think this is very ill judged. Criminality in a culture is not genetic. Even if Hitler maintained it was.....and he of course had a final solution for gypsies, whether criminal or not.

NOT the scientific definition, instead the common idiom, of course.

be in (one's) DNA
To be a core aspect of one's character, motivation, or lineage; to be an intrinsic or fundamental part of one.
He's always been that way, ever since he was a small boy. Helping others just seems to be in his DNA.
This company has been drilling oil since my great-grandfather first struck crude oil back in 1902. It's in our DNA!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
The trick is to not let them in your pub! Once you let one in and serve them your buggered! Police will never intervene, their attitude is if you served them, you deal with them. If you refuse service, and they still won’t leave the police have to deal with it they are technically trespassing once the DPS refuses service and asks them to leave. Just NEVER EVER serve them!

I’ve had my fair share of attempted invasions in the past, it’s not nice. Now I can tell them a mile off!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
NOT the scientific definition, instead the common idiom, of course.

be in (one's) DNA
To be a core aspect of one's character, motivation, or lineage; to be an intrinsic or fundamental part of one.
He's always been that way, ever since he was a small boy. Helping others just seems to be in his DNA.
This company has been drilling oil since my great-grandfather first struck crude oil back in 1902. It's in our DNA!

Indeed.

I hadn't imagined you actually favour genocide, either, in case you're wondering :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here