Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do we need ANOTHER striker?

albionite

May 20, 2009
In fairness Baldock was the only striker worth keeping from last season as I reckon he's got something to offer in the right formation, As for COG & Clunge what can you say other than "glad you got sacked Burke".

I reckon we will see why we spent £2m on Baldock this year with Bobby and Hemed supplying him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would like a Jimmy Greaves/Allan Clarke type striker who stood in the 6yd box and put the ball in the net, when it was near to himbut I am not sure they would be tolerated for their work rate in modern day football.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I reckon we will see why we spent £2m on Baldock this year with Bobby and Hemed supplying him.

Spot on. Baldock could find himself enveloped in a world of goals playing along side a Zamora - he can but dream of the assists and space Bobby regularly provides for his partners. Such a generous player (and lover). Charlies's loss is Sam's gain.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
It depends on what the aim for the season is. If we're serious about challenging for promotion then yes we need another quality striker. Along with another quality centre back and two quality wingers(who preferably can also play as central attacking midfielders). That's a lot of quality still needed and we all know that comes at a price.

If, on the other hand the aim is to avoid any relegation battles and challenge for the top half of the table, then no, we don't need any more strikers. A journey man centre half would do and we could get away with buying only one winger so long as he is a genuinely decent player.

I hope we go for option A but expect B is the more realistic.

This.

Not one striker in our ranks who we can rely on for 20 goals which you need for promotion. Our strike force is average at best.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No, we don't really need another striker. If it is true that we have 5 ongoing transfer targets, though, it is likely we will get one.

Zamora, Hemed, and Baldock is a very decent 3, and we need to give Hambo and Harper chances, initially as subs, or their 2 years will be up before they've pulled on a shirt.

Wingers. 2 Wingers. The top priority, and then a Central defender.

Who are the other 2 targets ? I wouldn't rule out Gutierez in midfield, and that possibly leaves a striker as target 5.

Which leaves us with a 31 man squad, suggesting COG, Colunga, maybe Chicksen, and possibly even JFC or Holla will be off.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Numbers 4, 15, 19 & 21

Consensus says we needed a wide man (called a winger). But I envisaged a winger (speed merchant) that can play on both wings and at a pinch operate as a second striker or more central role.

If we get this player (who?) we could be best having a squad of 24 (we have that already) and keep some wages in reserve in case we are in contention come January.

If we chose a winger only who runs the line more like a wing-back, a second striker would be highly desirable, but not one to make up the numbers. A pity Colunga has not got that extra bit of acceleration as he would fit the bill otherwise.

The striker we would need is not a target man like Rhodes or Austin, but more the creator behind the player leading the line in Messi/Teixeira/Colunga style. Not sure who? I would like Zaha! Nugent would be a more likely possibility?

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Agree this has to be the next step

This seems to be the consensus.

We have lost Tex. Last season we created chances or half chances but we did not convert them. Our number of goal attempts was like a top 6 side. However, this does not say everything about the quality of the half chances created.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
This seems to be the consensus.

We have lost Tex. Last season we created chances or half chances but we did not convert them. Our number of goal attempts was like a top 6 side. However, this does not say everything about the quality of the half chances created.
Not under Hughton it wasn't!

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually

Mad-Max-The-Road-Warrior.jpg

you're welcome :)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here