Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do we actually want to go up ?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If course we bloody do otherwise what's the effing point!?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

The point is: supporting your team whatever division they are in. Having watched the Albion for over 50 years, I can't say the most enjoyable were those when we were in the first division. We had some good players, but not enough. I won't lose any slepp if we come back down - at least we will have made few bob for Bloom to get some of his money back, and the club would be on a much better footing. It does give the fans an opportunity to see Premier league players and teams. With the limited ground capacity etc solidifying a position in the Premier league is some years off.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The point is: supporting your team whatever division they are in. Having watched the Albion for over 50 years, I can't say the most enjoyable were those when we were in the first division. We had some good players, but not enough. I won't lose any slepp if we come back down - at least we will have made few bob for Bloom to get some of his money back, and the club would be on a much better footing. It does give the fans an opportunity to see Premier league players and teams. With the limited ground capacity etc solidifying a position in the Premier league is some years off.
I know all that! I meant what's the point in trying to win games each week in the championship if you don't want to get promoted at the end of it?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Easy to say that now,but without Hereford and all that has gone before,without the wisdom of the lean times i bet if you were writing this in 1979 you would not be stating the same thing..

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Once you start looking down - there is a long way down - ask Blackpool fans or Pompey fans...

We've been there and done that, as has been posted.

There are many other clubs who have dropped out of the top division and then fought their way back. Southampton for instance.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The only thing I'd hate would be all the whingers at the amex when we weren't sticking 5 past arsenal and Man City.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Easy to say that now,but without Hereford and all that has gone before,without the wisdom of the lean times i bet if you were writing this in 1979 you would not be stating the same thing..

Having been with them in Div 4, I have had my share of lows with the Albion prior to Hereford. The expectation and promise of going to the highest level, and then the realisation of it not being the promised land, struggling for results, poor crowds; poor football in fact. I would be happy to go up, as I was with the excitement of 1979, and agree that we should always want to get to the highest level possible. It just that getting there does not preoccupy me. I am happy to support the club whatever level we are at.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Having been with them in Div 4, I have had my share of lows with the Albion prior to Hereford. The expectation and promise of going to the highest level, and then the realisation of it not being the promised land, struggling for results, poor crowds; poor football in fact. I would be happy to go up, as I was with the excitement of 1979, and agree that we should always want to get to the highest level possible. It just that getting there does not preoccupy me. I am happy to support the club whatever level we are at.

Well as i was writing the post i did consider that the possibility of you seeing Division 4 and the title year may have come into play,but prior to 1979,the overall trend for Albion was always going to be up...you and me both and we will always be there for the club again if they were to fall....it's what we do as fans..

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Lots of people here are assuming that bloom wouldn't have us competing towards the right end of the table.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Has Gus made any recent comment on our rapidapproach towards and perhaps through the fabled "ceiling"?

I hope we smash it, enjoy the big time and reap the rewards. Also proving Gus wrong all along.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Looking at at today's Premier League fixture list it is so underwhelming, I say we should stay in The Championship with all the more interesting clubs, I mean, look at it, and they sell coverage of these matches around the world ffs:

Everton v Bournemouth
Newcastle v Palace
Stoke v Sunderland
West Brom v West Ham
Watford v Villa
Arsenal v Norwichzzzzzzzzz

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Lots of people here are assuming that bloom wouldn't have us competing towards the right end of the table.

What odds could we get on back to back titles one wonders? clearly that's a tall order.....

But funny thing is you could well be right......look at the Goldstone as an example,nobody was going to invest in the club proper while we were there,but upon getting planning permission for Falmer we all of a sudden (having nearly not been able to fund it due to the credit crunch in 2008) found out that we had investment..and from within the very walls of BHAFC...

Now the same logic could apply here? Tony will not go overboard to gain promotion,but will sensibly invest IF we do,ensuring we compete and stay there..

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
JCL statement of the year !!

Wrong, just ask a Brighton fan - in 1979 we were promoted to Div 1 aka the Premier League in today's speak.
Then in 1983 we were FA cup finalists but were relegated from the top division.
Our Blackpool / Pompey fall from there resulted in a last game of the season finale to avoid the drop out of div 4 [now League 2] and into Conference football.

To say that if Brighton drop out of the PL at end of next season would be like Pompey and Blackpool is rubbish - it's the other way round. We did that in 1983 - 1997.
I'm sure other clubs have hit one of theses "big snakes" long before we did too.
As others have said, we're on the up [a ladder] just now - we've had 33 years of disappointment with only the occasional promotion season during this time - enjoy the ride ....

Erm thats not what I said. 3 or 4 posts before, I said that being in the Prem mid-table side like the Baggies can only be good and a reply was that that was someones idea of hell and they'd rather stay down the division. I was refering to that post.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

I guess its a question of how deep are his pokets...

Reading all that I would say we are half way towards that scenario.

I'd say 99% - when we do go up hopefully next week, I doubt we will be calling out players next season mercenaries

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here