[Football] Do Referees Actually Enjoy Their Job?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Sanchez doesn`t drop the ball every game , there IS a poor decision made by the ref EVERY game , this is acceptable as he is just a human , BUT unacceptable when he doesn`t use VAR . And that is unacceptable when they cant draw a correct line .
The same ref doesn’t make the same mistake in every game in exactly the same way as Sanchez doesn’t drop the ball in every game.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
The same ref doesn’t make the same mistake in every game in exactly the same way as Sanchez doesn’t drop the ball in every game.
Darren England made the same mistake twice in our game against Fulham , he did not direct the VAR to check two penalty decisions , this wouldn`t have stopped or slowed the game down , so WHY? . If you read the Fulham site you will see that they were moaning about him from a previous game when he did the same , so are you sure the same ref doesn`t make the same mistake in every game ? .

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
We know it is possible to have good refs - PIERLUIGI COLLINA , genuinely a hero of mine . Whenever he was reffing a game you knew it would end in a true result .
The problem is we do actually have good refs, just not perfect ones. Collina was the absolute outlier, the Messi of referees. Michael Oliver is still a good referee, even if he's not Collina, just like Mitoma is still a good player even if he isn't Messi.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Darren England made the same mistake twice in our game against Fulham , he did not direct the VAR to check two penalty decisions , this wouldn`t have stopped or slowed the game down , so WHY? . If you read the Fulham site you will see that they were moaning about him from a previous game when he did the same , so are you sure the same ref doesn`t make the same mistake in every game ? .
I thought VAR continually monitor the match and would indicate to the ref if something needed looked at on the monitor or if they needed more time to look at it. I think the ref can ask them to look at a decision but it doesn’t have to be referred in the way you mean.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
He "made the same mistake twice" did he? Both decisions were correct, there's nothing to review (and the VAR does review these things, it isn't on the referee to refer it). Dunk said after the game that Veltman said straight away that his was no pen and Tete clearly gets a toe to the ball on the Mitoma one.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I didn’t say that. I did say they do to the same extent as the players.
Anyway, what should we do ? Sack him and get in the perfect ref that was obviously passed over when he was appointed ?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
As in all jobs being a competent referee at any level requires a certain skill set. On the face of it, only a few referees working at PL level, possess anything like the range of skills required. Most seem to be officious jobsworths who lack the interpersonal skills to navigate their way through the interactive (and increasingly intercontinental) communication challenges they face, particularly when required to say "No". By and large the players and managers don't seem to respect them and the situation is worsened when the incompetence extends to the off-field support they need to ensure that "No" is the correct answer. A complete re-set is needed, sports like American football, baseball, rugby and cricket don't seem to have the same problem, surely there are lessons that can be learnt???

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
The problem is we do actually have good refs, just not perfect ones. Collina was the absolute outlier, the Messi of referees. Michael Oliver is still a good referee, even if he's not Collina, just like Mitoma is still a good player even if he isn't Messi.
Michael Oliver is a good referee , contrary to those on this thread that think i only want to attack refs , i only want to attack bad refs . A bad referee is someone who doesn`t use all the tools at his disposal , or use common sense , surely we all want that ? .

For instance , say you travel to Leeds from Dorset for the league game , and 5 minutes in Ayling does a Fabinho on one of our lads , the ref gives nothing but a free kick (as with the Liverpool game) then a few minutes later Struijk does the same , and again the ref doesn`t ask for VAR , should i be angry or just say oh well he is only human ? .

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
As in all jobs being a competent referee at any level requires a certain skill set. On the face of it, only a few referees working at PL level, possess anything like the range of skills required. Most seem to be officious jobsworths who lack the interpersonal skills to navigate their way through the interactive (and increasingly intercontinental) communication challenges they face, particularly when required to say "No". By and large the players and managers don't seem to respect them and the situation is worsened when the incompetence extends to the off-field support they need to ensure that "No" is the correct answer. A complete re-set is needed, sports like American football, baseball, rugby and cricket don't seem to have the same problem, surely there are lessons that can be learnt???
Have you seen what they have to put up with ? Every PL game on tv exposes players hurling abuse at referees despite close up tv footage exposing their cheating. Respect from players and managers ? They try whatever they can to get decisions made their way. What I see is embattled neutrals doing their best to uphold the laws of the game and players, managers and fans doing their best to get round it. Pundits won’t call out cheating. Fans won’t call out cheating when it’s by their own team.

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I thought VAR continually monitor the match and would indicate to the ref if something needed looked at on the monitor or if they needed more time to look at it. I think the ref can ask them to look at a decision but it doesn’t have to be referred in the way you mean.
The referee doesn`t have to ask or take advice from VAR , i heard on tv that in the Liverpool game the ref did not ask for VAR assistance in the Fabinho or Robertson fouls , both of which should have been red cards imo .

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Michael Oliver is a good referee , contrary to those on this thread that think i only want to attack refs , i only want to attack bad refs . A bad referee is someone who doesn`t use all the tools at his disposal , or use common sense , surely we all want that ? .

For instance , say you travel to Leeds from Dorset for the league game , and 5 minutes in Ayling does a Fabinho on one of our lads , the ref gives nothing but a free kick (as with the Liverpool game) then a few minutes later Struijk does the same , and again the ref doesn`t ask for VAR , should i be angry or just say oh well he is only human ? .
The problem is, it's not incumbent on the referees to ask for a VAR intervention. VAR intervention is standard, if VAR fails then that's a VAR issue not a refereeing one. The referee is there to make the on field decision and can't second guess every decision he makes. VAR will review it as a matter of course and then will discuss with the referee if they think he should take another look.

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I didn’t say that. I did say they do to the same extent as the players.
Anyway, what should we do ? Sack him and get in the perfect ref that was obviously passed over when he was appointed ?
I think you did "The same ref doesn`t make the same mistake in every game "

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
The problem is, it's not incumbent on the referees to ask for a VAR intervention. VAR intervention is standard, if VAR fails then that's a VAR issue not a refereeing one. The referee is there to make the on field decision and can't second guess every decision he makes. VAR will review it as a matter of course and then will discuss with the referee if they think he should take another look.
The referee did not ask for VAR............That is my point !

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think you did "The same ref doesn`t make the same mistake in every game "
Yes, I stand by that. The same ref does not make the same mistake in every game. You are lumping them all together then making a comparison (several of your posts ago) with one particular goalkeeper (Sanchez) and saying he does not drop the ball every game. I am pointing out you are not comparing like with like.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
The referee did not ask for VAR............That is my point !
I know that's your point, my point is that it's not on the ref's job to ask for VAR unless he thinks he made a mistake. If he didn't, then it's VAR's job to check and recommend a review.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
The referee doesn`t have to ask or take advice from VAR , i heard on tv that in the Liverpool game the ref did not ask for VAR assistance in the Fabinho or Robertson fouls , both of which should have been red cards imo .
That was my point, so why did your post mention referring the two pen incidents in the Fulham game to VAR? They will have looked and decided they were ok. Which it turns out they were.

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I know that's your point, my point is that it's not on the ref's job to ask for VAR unless he thinks he made a mistake. If he didn't, then it's VAR's job to check and recommend a review.
I also mentioned common sense , when you have a player tackled from behind with physios on the pitch and the player has to go off , with several other players and the entire stadium asking for a red card , that`s when the common sense bit should tell you that either The Amex is the best choreographed group on planet earth or maybe just maybe use the ******* VAR and ask for assistance , spoiler alert - he didn`t . VAR no longer has to intervene without being asked by the referee , and even then the final decision lies with the on field official .

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It probably sucks. Any time a team lose or draw a game they expect to win, the manager, players and fans are all blaming the ref for the result despite spending the actual 50-60 minutes of effective game time doing little if anything useful.

20 shots, a couple of very good chances... lets blame Darren England for not taking them.

Everyone on the pitch makes mistakes. People generally tolerate it unless it is a goalie, striker or referee. Darren England did not have a great game against Fulham but f*** knows if he was any more shit than for example Mitoma.
Seven fake head injuries six minutes of injury time 🤔 basic maths says that’s not six minutes of injury time.
It’s the simple things that annoy me most about the officials like not being able to draw the offside line correctly or three or more sets of eyes missing a blatant red card challenge.

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
That was my point, so why did your post mention referring the two pen incidents in the Fulham game to VAR? They will have looked and decided they were ok. Which it turns out they were.
The Veltman one was checked but Dunk was asking for the ref to check the Mitoma one which he waved away as a goal kick , my understanding was that because the ref believed it cut and dry VAR wouldn`t be involved , something that the commentator on the thread i was using also stated .

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The Veltman one was checked but Dunk was asking for the ref to check the Mitoma one which he waved away as a goal kick , my understanding was that because the ref believed it cut and dry VAR wouldn`t be involved , something that the commentator on the thread i was using also stated .
Which is interesting when you go back to our game at City. The inconsistency of it all is baffling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports