Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do Or Die Encounters

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Third places teams have the highest success rate.

PLAY-OFF PROMOTION WINNERS

Championship

Third place: Ten promotions (37 per cent) (including last season Norwich Vs Ipswich)

Fifth place: Seven (26)

Fourth place: Five (18)

Sixth place: Five (18)

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
so basically away team always comes out better in these or get promoted season after.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
This is the third head to head winner takes all game in my Albion supporting life time. We lost the first one in the 91 play off final, drew(but counts as a win) the second against hereford and won the third against Bristol City in the 04 play off final.

Using the skills I learnt in my A level maths and statistics class I can confirm that that gives us a 66.66% success rate and therefore have a 66.66% chance of success tomorrow. Not bad.:thumbsup:

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
This is the third head to head winner takes all game in my Albion supporting life time. We lost the first one in the 91 play off final, drew(but counts as a win) the second against hereford and won the third against Bristol City in the 04 play off final.

So if there have already been three.... this is then the fourth? A level maths :wink: :thumbsup: :lolol:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Not to rain on your parade, but ...

Crystal Palace v Burnley, 1982-83, loser gets relegated, result 1-0 :cry:
Burnley v Plymouth, 1997-98, loser gets relegated, result 2-1 :O

Both home wins. Still, as Henry Ford (more or less) pointed out, history is bunk.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
You could add both the Palace playoff games to this. Palace v BHA 0-0, Palace couldn't make home advantage count, reverse fixture we couldn't make home advantage count and Palace triumphed.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Not to rain on your parade, but ...

Crystal Palace v Burnley, 1982-83, loser gets relegated, result 1-0 :cry:
Burnley v Plymouth, 1997-98, loser gets relegated, result 2-1 :O

Both home wins. Still, as Henry Ford (more or less) pointed out, history is bunk.

Just checked this out, an extraordinary Second Division table where over half the teams (then only 22) finished within touching distance of relegation, the lowest with 33 points. I didn't remember Palace coming so close to repeating the disastrous plummeting of 1973-1975's successive relegations.

Not quite as dramatic as Stockport in 2000/01 and Sheffield W in 2009/10 (the latter televised) but still squeaky-bum time at Selhurst.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982–83_in_English_football#Second_Division

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here