Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do heads need to roll in the recruitment team?

Should heads roll in the recruitment team?

• Total voters

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Others have said it, but without knowing what everyone's specific role is, it's impossible to call.

Only Bloom and Barber are in a position to know who messed up.

Burke was sacked because of the players he DID buy, not because of the ones he missed out on. The current recruitment team put together a squad that got us promoted, that's got to count for something. They surely can't be in a position where they're one bad window away from the sack, that's no way to run a football club.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No. The strategy worked until the concealed medical variances of Dwamena came to light.

The lesson learned must be that clubs do seem to hide these issues so we need to build in time for diagnosis into the process.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
given what's at stake & that our high odds of relegation have now increased further, I cannot understand why anyone would vote no

Because it would make things worse to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

We wanted to strengthen in various areas, and the only area we have not done so is in the case of the striker. I am sure they will already be discussing what happened (I am deliberately not saying what went wrong), and working out whether to change the approach in any way next time.

People on here are very good at mouthing off when they do not know the whole story. I do not know the full ins and outs of what has been going on at the club in terms of recruitment throughout the transfer window, so am not in a position to say they royally messed it up. Two players failing medicals? how often does that happen once, let alone twice.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
How much of that was bad luck, and how much of it was bad planning ? I’d say about 20% bad luck and 80% bad planning on the striker front. We were right to pull out of the Dwamena deal once the medical revealed a potential heart problem (something the club would be even more alert to following the Goldson situation), so I don’t blame them for that. But what on earth happened to our plan B’s, C’d and D’s ? One by one they all fell by the wayside, until we were left desperately scrambling in the final few hours, and then into 1am EXTRA TIME fannying about trying to bring in Janssen, who it turned out didn’t want to come anyway! Sorry, but that’s an absolute cuffing shambles. The fact we were prepared to pay around £25m for him shows the sheer desperation we were in by that stage.

We’ve known since the middle of April that we were a Premier League club, and it’s been obvious since then that up front would be the single most crucial area where we would need to strengthen in the summer. We got lucky with Murray and Baldock staying largely free of injury last season, and whilst Hemed is a grafter, there’s certainly questions over whether he would be PL quality. I think we all know that had we landed a striker this window, he’d probably be back in the Championship this morning. Even if all 3 were fit and firing, we’d still be short of the pace and quality needed at this level. We’ve have had 4 and a half months to prepare to address this – and we’ve failed. I find that astonishing.

We are currently 10/11 for the drop with Bet365. That price will never be better, and right now, it feels like buying money. We’d better hope Izqueirdo is more than a winger, because the only way I can see us surviving now (or at least between now and January) is if this fella can put a shift in as an auxiliary striker playing off Hemed for now. We HAVE to have someone who can run in behind and drag players around, he is literally the only one in the squad who looks capable of doing that.

I can’t believe we’ve waited so long to get to the PL, and then made such an almighty Horlicks in the first transfer window.

This.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I can’t believe we’ve waited so long to get to the PL, and then made such an almighty Horlicks in the first transfer window.

Really ? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here