Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Divorce Advice

Wondergull

Nov 24, 2004
Brooklyn, New York
Does anyone know how you can check the status/progress on a divorce? The application was apparently submitted some time ago but as yet we have heard nothing? How can I check if the petition was received?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Are you using a solicitor? If so they should have heard from the other party.

I did it myself, and was divorced within 9 weeks of separating. The financial settlement takes longer though.

Wondergull

Nov 24, 2004
Brooklyn, New York
No solicitors involved as all as amicable as can be and there is no financial settlement to agree so relatively hassle free.

I have paid for the divorce and I am relying on the paperwork being submitted. The lack of action makes me think the divorce has not been submitted even though I have been told it has and when ever I ask about it, I am ignored.

Basically, I want to know if it's possible to find out if a divorce petition has been submitted against me?

cammac

Nov 12, 2011
Eastbourne
Unless you intend getting married again soon, i wouldn't worry to much about it, it`ll sort itself soon enough. Think mine took about 12 weeks..

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Wish mine was as strait forward. After paying her thousands my solicitor sat back in her chair with her hands behind her head and said to me "It's a classic case of the wife gets the house and the car". I got rinsed!

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
If an application has been received by the court then you will receive notification from the court - usually fairly quickly. If you were the applicant, you will get a copy from the court with a case number on it, your wife will also receive notification of the application and she needs to reply to it, signing to say she agrees (providing she does).

In my experience this all happened remarkably quickly. I, like you didn't need/use a solicitor so I suspect that the best course of action will be to contact the court you specified directly.

I hope that helps.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here