Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Diving Kane

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Don't remember this fuss when Glenn earnt free kick after free kick after free kick for backing into defenders . Often one of the most fouled players in the league.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Don't remember this fuss when Glenn earnt free kick after free kick after free kick for backing into defenders . Often one of the most fouled players in the league.

A fans forum isn't a bastion of fair/balanced, journalistic comments CJ, and neither should it be, otherwise its just a forum. Regardless of whether we are balanced or not in our criticism, we can still call it out when we see it. Kane tried to cheat last night on a number of occasions and a theme he has developed is potentially dangerous to other players, like "winning" the penalty. Other players cheated too, Son for example, but the England Captain doing it is arguably more noteworthy (Comments from pundits etc., not just BHA fans). Lots of comments on here about the context of these types of fouls and their impact on the game, and highlighting current players like Connolly.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

He also COMMITTED the most fouls in the league one season didn’t he? I imagine he would have suffered from VAR rather than benefited tbh. He did play for a SMALL team too which wouldn’t have helped. I sincerely doubt that penalty would have been awarded to us if it had been the other way around.

I think most of us knew he was “getting away with it” most of the time. Some refs actually gave him nothing due to his reputation too latterly

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Sometimes the powers-that-be make instant, impactful change (like keepers being behind the line at penalties).
Until that consistently happens with gamesmanship, then make no mistake - we are the fools.

And stop all this grabbing handfuls of players shirts.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Harold Kane: an apology

I would like to bring to the notice of readers that previously I have praised the remarkable achievements of Harold Kane, the footballer. Using his guile and insight he has overcome his physical limitations, which include lack of speed and an ability to shoot well with both feet, to become one of England's greatest marksmen, winner of a 'golden boot' and propelling England as well as Tottingham Hot Spurs into match winning positions and greater achievement than hitherto expected.

I would now like it to be know that 'Harry' Kane is actually shitehouse. A cheat of almost foreign proportions. Dastardly and malign. A disgrace to 'the shirt' and this great nation.

(E.J. Tackle, aged 62 and three quarters)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Lallana's sole focus was jumping to contest a ball in the air. Eyes on the ball all the way.

Kane's sole focus was to back into Lallana so he would get clattered and win a penalty.

Lallana could have sustained a nasty injury which is why the penalty is draconian in rugby. Yet in football it is the airborne player who gets punished.

Lallana was actually very lucky he didn't dislocate his shoulder, and it could have been worse than that. Kane and his ilk will keep doing this, and it will take someone sustaining a very serious injury before they even review the current rules. When will football learn?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Murray had a sweet spot when he returned to the Premier League.
That soon wore off as the refs learned, on the job.

Can anyone see much the same happening with Kane, Spurs, Salah, Liverpool, Utd et al?

Thought not.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That move on Lallana is something he does frequently. Everyone knows it can cause serious harm, so the reason he is doing it is that he simply doesnt care if someone gets badly hurt. Not my type of footballer (well, I love Mark van Bommel but there's always an exception...) and not my type of person.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
He is one of the reasons I no longer watch England games. Cheat.

As for VAR, were they looking at whether it was a foul on Kane or just where it took place?

From what I can gather, only on where the incident took place (was Kane inside or out). Clearly they should be also looking at whether it should've been given in the first place once this was decided upon. (ie. who instigated the 'foul' and therefore whether there's a clear and obvious error)

Yes - this is the odd thing isn't it. The ref gave a free-kick outside the box. So VAR checked to see whether it was inside the box or not. VAR does not check 'free-kick incidents' - that is, they would not be checking whether it was a foul or not. Bizarrely, if the ref had given a penalty - then VAR would have checked whether it was a foul, and I suspect the ref may have been called over for a look at the monitor.

But as you say, it should have been two checks really. Once they had decided it was inside the box - then they should have revisited the foul/no foul decision.

Is this the first time a defender has given away a penalty without actually entering the penalty box himself?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Glenn gave away far more free kicks doing it that he earned them, I think if you check he was always the person giving the most fouls away as well. Besides Glenn never risked the career of an opponent.

Edit: Just checked for 2018/19 fouls BY a player

1. Murray 80
2. McArthur 61
3. Mitrovic 61

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes TalkSport discussed this, that perhaps there is a train of thought that as he was giving a free kick you perhaps view that differently from a penalty decision. Had the ref knew it was going to have resulted in a penalty would he still have given the foul and why did he not check the monitor? Or maybe that is why he checked the monitor in the second half.

Either way, a mess

Yoda

English & European
Yes - this is the odd thing isn't it. The ref gave a free-kick outside the box. So VAR checked to see whether it was inside the box or not. VAR does not check 'free-kick incidents' - that is, they would not be checking whether it was a foul or not. Bizarrely, if the ref had given a penalty - then VAR would have checked whether it was a foul, and I suspect the ref may have been called over for a look at the monitor.

But as you say, it should have been two checks really. Once they had decided it was inside the box - then they should have revisited the foul/no foul decision.

Is this the first time a defender has given away a penalty without actually entering the penalty box himself?

Tarrico at St Marys. Can't remember who he fouled but they didn't even enter the box either. :lolol:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I totally agree.

Fans are fickle. When it is their team they will overlook stuff and I have no issues with that. Fans support their team and that's how it should be.

Referees and the Media not calling it out is what annoys me.

The media won't do it because they don't want Kane going into another World Cup or European Championships withe a reputation for diving and having Referees watching out for it when he is wearing an England Shirt.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I totally agree.

Fans are fickle. When it is their team they will overlook stuff and I have no issues with that. Fans support their team and that's how it should be.

Referees and the Media not calling it out is what annoys me.

The media won't do it because they don't want Kane going into another World Cup or European Championships withe a reputation for diving and having Referees watching out for it when he is wearing an England Shirt.

I don't think this is the reason, Salah is terrible for exaggerating and going over but only gets an occasional mention. That Grealish dive last season, where he trod on the defenders toe then screamed in agony whilst hitting the floor, was news for a day or two then quietly forgotten.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here