Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diver-boy Zaha [Merged threads]

What is your opinion of Wilfried Zaha?

• Total voters

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I seem to remember Adel Taarabt destroying Championship defences a couple of years ago. He practically monopolised Soccer AM's Showboat. I've just checked and in QPR's promotion season he scored 19 goals and got 16 assists.

Last year in the Prem he got 2 goals and 3 assists. I think this highlights the step-up.

Disclaimer: I've never seen Zaha play live or on TV so can't comment on his ability; from what I hear, it sounds like he's got a lot of potential.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I seem to remember Adel Taarabt destroying Championship defences a couple of years ago. He practically monopolised Soccer AM's Showboat. I've just checked and in QPR's promotion season he scored 19 goals and got 16 assists.

Last year in the Prem he got 2 goals and 3 assists. I think this highlights the step-up.

Taarabt is a superb player technically, but for every bit of talent he has he is equally lacking in attitude and workrate.

35yearstop2divs

May 16, 2011
Zaha seems to have brought out the absolute worst in some Albion fans on here. He is a matchwinner, pure and simple, always has been, and the player many admitted they feared pre-match at the Amex last September.

Must admit I thought he would cut Tanno to shreds that night, but ironically I think we were still winning when Taricco went off (fair play to him), and it was later he did the damage.

When the game is so fast you pay top whack for the man that can do something different, change the game at 0-0, unlock a defence with pace/skill/trickery, and Zaha has it.

Frankly the people who reckoned he was just an overrated diver should be feeling very foolish this morning. He is going to go for at least £10million, probably more. And he will do well in the Premier League.

As far as the Ronaldo/Messi stuff is cocerned he has learnt a lesson about what happens when you say that kind of stuff, but it's not that bad. You have to be confident, especially as that kind of player.

Sensible post he is a wonderful talent and is going to move on , he along with Moses has ability which is very un english if you catch my drift and i hope England can get him signed up. He will leave Palace but i dont think he will go until summer unless he wants to go which could happen allthough he seems a sensible lad. I admit i come on hear for banter and a wind up but this guy is the real deal and i just hope i can watch him at the tin pot stadium i love ( not a pop at you as your ground is fantastic apart from infrastructure ! ) for the rest of the season because if and it is a big IF he and Murray (as we have no cover for him currently) stay fit for majority of games there is a good chance of going up as this lot dont know when there beat and we have nothing to fear in the Championship despite Cardiff and Leicster spending power. A good thing about living in Croydon as oppose to all the deragority comments from you is that there is a fantastic area to get kids from. It will be nice to get a good fee for someone and the next one that there will be alot of hype about when he gets back from injury will be Jonny Williams who some of you may remember was brilliant at your place last season. Born in Croydon but Wales made the effort and hes with them. He will be a top top player i hope the FA dont miss out on more like him and Moses

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Zaha : "only Messi & Ronaldo are better than me"

GM you're either talking shit or I'm not reading things properly.

You say : Holloway says Zaha is the best talent he's ever seen.

Article says : Holloways says the best talent he's worked with (I think)

You say: Zaha wants to play for Palace in the Prem

He says: He'd like to play in the Prem.

Unless I'm reading the wrong articles....

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
We all pretty much revel in the arrival of a possible star of the future and if he wasn't a Palace then we'd all be amazed i'm sure. He's probably like all teenagers who madly think they're better than they are. And us fans when at games or thinking of our teams generally spout the same level of bullshit. Personally, i think Bruno is the best right-back in Europe and Bridge should be back in the England squad, especially now his nemesis has thankfully retired from internationals, but that doesn't make them true. I won't join forces with the more enraged and curse the lad for saying something stupid or believe it will have any effect on his career. At present, his selection for England and papers and commentators drooling momentarily over him will up his value enormously and fair play to it all. Ideally, the arrival of Mervyn Day and the building of the training centre will have us snatch skilled youngsters and make a half-decent fortune off of in the near future.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
This has to be the newspaper article Gus pins up in the dressing room at Smellhurst on December 1st

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Grow up.

And in any case, that article was written by a Palace fanatic and huge Zaha fan. Who may not be too happy about what the desk have done to his relationship with the player!

I'll do no such thing. I shall continue to point out people shouldn't read garbage like the Mail so ner!

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Re: Zaha : "only Messi & Ronaldo are better than me"

Sterling is not better.

Buckleys stats last year, in terms of goals and assists, were not as good as Zaha's. This year, they aren't as good as Zaha's, and he has had twice as long of a career. Zaha is, all round, a much better player.

Anyone who seriously thinks you can compare Buckley to Zaha is a lunatic and should stop watching football. Zaha is in the England squad, he's the best player in the division and he's being linked to Man United and Real Madrid in the papers. Nobody in the press has even HEARD of Buckley.

Your bitter jealousy is so, so obvious. It all seems to be going so well for Palace at the moment and you can't stand it. We're top of the league, 9 points ahead of you, and now we've got a 29 year old England international! :) :lolol:

Are you zaha's f***ing DAD? You are honestly the most boring individual on these boards, coming here to persuade us he's this or that. Do you honestly think any of us give a tuppeny f*** what you think? You're pathetic.

Now I am a confirmed Palace hater. But Zahas comments re "Messi & Ronaldo" and that he is only "50:50 on England" must be the most moronic issued by a footballer. This will forever haunt him - it's his Andy Murray moment. Wherever he plays people will be having a dig at him if his performance doesn';t live up to his own proclaimation. Away fans will have a field day when he fails.

Unfortunately for him his current manager is a bigger media whore than him and instead of putting a guiding hand on his shoulder and urging caution in all the hype, the Wurzel Gimp has shot his mouth off and set Zaha up for a bigger fall.

The weight of expectation is now on Zaha and Palace - can he/they cope?

jameswestport

Sep 7, 2011
Zaha : "only Messi & Ronaldo are better than me"

Didn't balloteli say the same thing a while. To be honest its all about confidence for these lads. Boxers do it all the time.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Ermmm, some of you guys could maybe write for the Argus, there's nothing wrong with confidence. Also he was born in the Ivory Coast, up to him who he wants to represent. Read the mail article or the Guardian one, strikes me as a young lad who's extremely good at his job and very confident in his own ability, good for him. I for one think he's a quality player. Can anyone really refute that?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As a Palace fan I'm a bit embarrased by this interview. It is the Daliy Mail so the lad has probably been mis-quoted slightly. Maybe he was saying that he's ambitious and looks up to the likes of Messi, Ronaldo. Dunno.

Someone else had it right when they said he's up there to be knocked down - I'd much rather he was under the radar. The only plus side is that we will get more money for him when he goes.

How good is he? Very good. I've seen him a couple of times only this year - Burnley and Pboro - but he's singled-handedly pulled up back into games. He's that direct and powerful that he reminds me of Ian Wright in the 1985-89 period, winning us games we should lose.

I think we'll get more than £4m now.

It looks like Zaha himself is also embarrassed by the interview and the article resulting. Don't you just love journalists?
Official_Zaha.. ‏@yungzaha
My words were absolutely twisted and taken the wrong way in my last interview..

Geoffrey

Sep 28, 2012
Whatever happened to that confident young midfielder John Bostok who was given plaudits afforded to this planets most talented individuals. An England captain within 6 years I was told by one Surrey gentleman, a footballer to be mentioned in the same breath as Some of Englands greats? Young Zaha needs to keep his feet firmly on the ground and both Freedman and Holloway are and have been more than capable of doing that but when he steps up into the Premier then managers are not quite so supportive when things start to get tricky, they have more than one ego to pander to. He has talent though, that can not be disputed.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Ermmm, some of you guys could maybe write for the Argus, there's nothing wrong with confidence. Also he was born in the Ivory Coast, up to him who he wants to represent. Read the mail article or the Guardian one, strikes me as a young lad who's extremely good at his job and very confident in his own ability, good for him. I for one think he's a quality player. Can anyone really refute that?

Was about to post the same. This has been taken seriously out of context. What he said was that when he faces players he will never think that person is better than him, unless it's Messi or Ronaldo. He's talking about the attitude he takes when on the pitch. FFS. I've no doubt Buckley takes much the same attitude. The only lesson Zaha needs take from the reaction to his comment is that he has to be careful what he says because the press and clearly some people here will twist his words to make him sound arrogant. This whole thread sounds like a massive jealous whinge.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Bruno v Zaha

With all this recent talk of Zaha and Brighton Palace now less than 3 weeks away what's the general consensus on this individual battle? Personally, albeit a tad bias maybe, I think Bruno will have him in his pocket.

Let's hope he stays fit though because with the utmost respect to Calderon, Zaha would have a field day

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
No matter what sports radio station I tuned into yesterday, it was all about Wilfried Zaha, I am very proud to be a palace fan at this moment in time.

It's great Palace are hitting the headlines about what we are doing on the field and are heading for great things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here