Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Disused railway stations of Sussex

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Fascinating, but not comprehensive. They had the audacity to build a housing estate on the site of the demolished railway station at Henfield, and named it, 'Beechings'. It's an ambition of mine to empty the contents of my bladder on his grave.
It's east sussex , not the whole county.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Fascinating, but not comprehensive. They had the audacity to build a housing estate on the site of the demolished railway station at Henfield, and named it, 'Beechings'. It's an ambition of mine to empty the contents of my bladder on his grave.
Waited ages for a train at West Grinstead last week, it never came. At least the platform is still there l suppose, and the old station building. The same can't be said of Henfield.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
You can still follow (on google earth) where the line went from Lewes - along by the nature reserve to the pedestrianized high street area (I believe there are even paving markers on the ground where the trains went out over the road from the depot) through the Malling playing fields to Church Lane - & up to Isfield where the Lavender Line starts. Some of the track is still up at Barcombe too, by the house near the Anchor Inn. Often wondered if I would be able to walk the whole route? (if I can get round the river crossing outside of Lewes!)

20220409_093836-01_resized.jpeg
07-railway-bridge-over-high-street-lewes.jpg
11-bridge-carrying-church-lane-over-former-1868-railway-line-to-uckfield.jpg

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
You can still follow (on google earth) where the line went from Lewes - along by the nature reserve to the pedestrianized high street area (I believe there are even paving markers on the ground where the trains went out over the road from the depot) through the Malling playing fields to Church Lane - & up to Isfield where the Lavender Line starts. Some of the track is still up at Barcombe too, by the house near the Anchor Inn. Often wondered if I would be able to walk the whole route? (if I can get round the river crossing outside of Lewes!)

View attachment 158997View attachment 159000View attachment 159001
Love the old black & white photo in the middle, with the chap in his flat cap. Where and roughly when was that taken?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Love the old black & white photo in the middle, with the chap in his flat cap. Where and roughly when was that taken?
It was taken in the 50/60's...and along what is now the pedestrianized High St!

Heres a better view of where it is, & some other photos showing the whole stretch around Lewes....great photos:

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003
Waited ages for a train at West Grinstead last week, it never came. At least the platform is still there l suppose, and the old station building. The same can't be said of Henfield.
Driven past loads of times but didn't realise the old platform was still there until I saw something online the other day. Will park up and have a look around next time I'm passing.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If someone can help me in my ongoing quest to find a picture of an active Hartington Road Halt I'd be grateful. But, alas, none seem to exist

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Absolute scandal these lines were shut

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost

A friend and I did this (on bikes) in the early 90s, I imagine it would be a bit more difficult now but not necessarily impossible. Crossing the iron bridge near the Anchor was fun!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Driven past loads of times but didn't realise the old platform was still there until I saw something online the other day. Will park up and have a look around next time I'm passing.
Turn left along the platform and you can walk along along the old railway bed, now a public cycle path, in a half hour or so you will come to Southwater Country Park. A very pleasant stroll, (or cycle), in the warmer months.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If someone can help me in my ongoing quest to find a picture of an active Hartington Road Halt I'd be grateful. But, alas, none seem to exist

Someone was asking this very question on here some considerable time ago now . . . could it have been yourself perhaps?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
For those of you who haven't recently been to Eridge station, this mural depicts the disused railways in the box formed by the BML, Hastings line, East Coastway and Redhill - Tonbridge lines

IMG_6118.JPG

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Although Uckfield still has a station the Victorian one was knocked down and is now a carpark. The new one is more like a portacabin andon the othersideoftheriver, not very attractive.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Someone was asking this very question on here some considerable time ago now . . . could it have been yourself perhaps?
I've never stopped asking the question. Tis a life mission unfulfilled.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Although Uckfield still has a station the Victorian one was knocked down and is now a carpark. The new one is more like a portacabin andon the othersideoftheriver, not very attractive.
It is on the same side of the river, but other side of the old level crossing.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
For those of you who haven't recently been to Eridge station, this mural depicts the disused railways in the box formed by the BML, Hastings line, East Coastway and Redhill - Tonbridge lines

View attachment 159005
I was on the train from Uckfield to London at the weekend and noticed a lot of middle-aged blokes in anoraks with cameras at Eridge (both on the way there and back, so Saturday and Sunday). Is it some sort of hub for local train spotters do you know? (hence that mural too?)

Interesting thread & article!

It must have been mid-eighties, but I remember going to the old Barcombe station house with my parents as it was for sale & they were interested in buying it. I don't remember much other than that there were chickens and the platform was still there (my parents didn't buy it).

I have more recent memories of the Barcombe Mills station building (still 25+ years ago). There was a little shop in it, so I'd pop in for snacks when fishing the weir pool...

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No mention of the old line from Brighton to Kemp Town, stopping at Lewes Road, Hartington Road halt and Kemp Town, nor the Devils Dyke station on the short lived Brighton to Devils Dyke line.
You could also argue that Portslade should be included, given that it was originally on the western side of the crossing before being demolished and re built in its current position in Hove.

Still great to see the photos.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here