Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dissapointed in NSC Vol 3

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Not to make light of animals in peril, but:

Delays after pigs trailer overturns on M4 in Wiltshire

The crash caused long delays on the M4

Thirteen pigs were killed and a number injured when an animal transporter overturned on the M4 in Wiltshire.

The accident happened on the westbound carriageway of the motorway between Leigh Delamere services and junction 18, the turn off for Bath, earlier.

The vehicle had been carrying more than 100 animals.

Police closed part of the motorway while the pigs were rounded up and injured ones were treated. The road has since reopened.

They will need to be rested, they will be looked at again to make sure there are no injuries developing

A Wiltshire Police spokesman said the animals were being transported in a double-decker lorry when the crash happened at about 1020 BST.

"A large number of the pigs fell out. Thirteen have died and a number were injured," he said.

"The remainder have been recovered into a second transporter.

"No other vehicle was involved and there have been no human casualties."

He said two vets were called to the scene to deal with the injured animals.

The surviving pigs have been taken to a farm to recuperate.

Graham Hibbert, from Hale Veterinary Group, attended and said the main concern was making sure making sure the surviving pigs were fit to travel.

"They went off in the other lorry - they will need to be rested, they will be looked at again to make sure there are no injuries developing," he added.

"They will not have been fit for slaughter because of the stress so they'll be kept separately and looked after."

The M4 was closed at junction 17 and initially caused tailbacks of nearly 20 miles (32km). At about 1400 BST there were tailbacks of up to two miles (3km).

Two lanes of the westbound carriageway reopened at about 1500 BST and police said traffic had returned to normal just before 1700 BST.

One witness, Tracy, who had been driving on the M4 and saw the crash scene, said: "We passed the lorry, it must have been just after it happened.

"There were about half a dozen pigs on the road trying to be ushered to the side to stop them running around.

"The lorry was on its side with its roof partially split open.

"There were dead pigs in the road and they were hosing it down and the traffic was horrific."

They're going to need some oinkment for that!

:hilton:

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
I bet onlookers were SCRATCHING thier heads after seeing that one.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Rumour has it, rescue crews had to CHOP thier way into the carriage to free the animals.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Apparntly there were dead animals LOIN around. They'll start to smell pretty quickly in the BACON hot sunshine!

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3444311 said:
Up my shitter. Come and get it.

I would Danny Boy, but you and me are both aware of what happened last time I did, and we wouldn't want that to happen again now, would we?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Ahhhhh, poor(k) animals

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Honestly, trust you lot to have you snouts in the trough with your cheeky punsmithery! I'm hardly sHOCKed though, tbh.. :rolleyes:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
S'NOUT to write home about.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Right, so the pigs are not fit to be slaughtered because of the stress of the accident.

So, these pigs will go on a nice retreat, to nurse them to good mental health and then, just as they are once again happy, they will be killed. f*** me, thats a bit sadistic.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Right, so the pigs are not fit to be slaughtered because of the stress of the accident.

So, these pigs will go on a nice retreat, to nurse them to good mental health and then, just as they are once again happy, they will be killed. f*** me, thats a bit sadistic.

Yep, that seems to be the size of it. Warms the ol' cockles don't it? :nono:

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
At least they'll be able to TROTTER round for a few weeks to recover!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here