Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Disney+

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shogun has been superb.

I would suggest watching then listening to an accompanying pod.

Much like Severance on Apple TV, there's an awful lot going on between the narrative, so having others talk through each episode meant I wasn't playing catch-up for each new episode.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
^ I've seen better acting at the Peasmarsh Amateur Dramatic Society production of The Duchess of Duke Street.

Dismal+ really are stealing people's money. Worst streaming service of the lot imho.
If you've got primary aged kids it's different but even without it's got far more decent modern films and stuff to watch than Apple and probably Netflix.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm sure it must've been mentioned in here but The Bear.

Me and Mrs Mellotron flew through series 1 and just started series 2. Really enjoying it. Feels like maybe the US saw Boiling Point (with the always good Stephen Graham) and thought there's a series here. And they're right.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more drama series set in Restaurants (as compared to say Hospitals) - obvious reasons for high drama, fast paced dialogue and varied situations/challenges.

Found the finale to The Bear slightly unrealistic, but otherwise very good.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you've got primary aged kids it's different but even without it's got far more decent modern films and stuff to watch than Apple and probably Netflix.
Ohhhhh - that's a bad take on Apple TV.
They've had an excellent year so far, very much quality over quantity.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Ohhhhh - that's a bad take on Apple TV.
They've had an excellent year so far, very much quality over quantity.
Well yes, there's hardly any quantity. It appears to have about 20 films in total. I watched Slow Horses which is excellent. Masters of the Air was average, nothing else that's come out this year looked particularly appealing or well reviewed compared to the other streamers.

What's been amazing on Apple?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What's been amazing on Apple?
I enjoyed

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters - set between Godzilla King of the Monsters and Godzilla vs Kong.
Monster Factory - documentary series following the goings on at a wrestling school
Come From Away - live recording of musical stage show about a small town in Canada that hosted all the planes that couldn't land in New York on 9/11.

I've been enjoying Manhunt - drama series about the hunt for John Wilkes Booth following the assassination of Lincoln, that's ongoing.

EDIT: There's the apple recommendation thread here: https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/apple-tv.367368/

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I disagree, the content on Netflix is 10 times that of D+ and the amount of non-English shows and films on NFlix far outstrips D+ a platform that rarely updates its content in comparison. I ride for free on the coattails of someone who has it but no way would I pay for D+

And the less said about The Bear the better, utter shite. :wink: :smile:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
intrigued to see how this differs from "Get Back" which largely used the footage from the original Let it be didn't it?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
intrigued to see how this differs from "Get Back" which largely used the footage from the original Let it be didn't it?
Pretty much. The film and it's outtakes/unused footage. It will obviously be shorter as a feature length film than a miniseries. Just had a little look online, and it appears the response to get back was that it was a less dour view of the time than let it be was. Maybe that review was remembering their feelings about the end of the beatles (closer to it happening) than they were the film, whereas when they watched get back so much time had passed to have more perspective?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here