Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Disheartening behaviour

People are an utter disgrace. The mess down the beach this evening was absolutely appalling, people have no respect and have no morals anymore, I’m a very proud English/British person but I’m honestly beginning to want to escape this country and live on an island away from all these pond dwelling idiots.

A friend of mine who was down the beach in the day said people were just brazenly pissing round corners, under the pier, up posts etc, absolutely vile. I wonder, are we as a nation different to the rest of the world? I’m sure every nation has these people but I feel like the number here far outweighs any country I’ve ever been too.

Hmmm that's sadly how I fell nowadays. What with the political climate, just seems there are a lot of dicks about. But I do try and tell myself that it's just where I am at that moment in time and that the majority are not like this.

However, when you have leaders who are ********s and just show the 'don't give a shit attitude' it wipes off onto the thick people in each country, particularly here. They get encouraged to go out in the masses right in the midst of a Pandemic, Bojo, I'm looking at you.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bloody hell, how awful ? What have we become ?

Do you still go to gigs, particularly large venues, famous acts?

Half the audience in the last 10 or 15 years now concentrate on filming on their phone, then rush to download tracks to Instagram. In essence lifestyle boasting.

Wasn’t life simpler pre smart phones? I literally went to dozens of amazing gigs at the Dome or Suite, and some others further afield, with 2,000 punters packed in to have some beers with mates, then to be in awe of the musical idols.

Definitely not jealous of younger folk now unable to live in the moment, absorbing history.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Really.....

Why do that..... WTF

I have been involved in a crash and someone died, and it’s etched in my brain, I would give anything for it to not randomly pop up in my brain.

Driving home on the Lewes Road one evening, saw Ambulance and motorcycle. Saw motorcycle helmet...no wait thats not just a helmet...cant ever get that vision out of my head. That along with an M3 crash where there was nothing left of the car but at least i didnt see the body that time they died though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Driving home on the Lewes Road one evening, saw Ambulance and motorcycle. Saw motorcycle helmet...no wait thats not just a helmet...cant ever get that vision out of my head. That along with an M3 crash where there was nothing left of the car but at least i didnt see the body that time they died though.

That’s exactly what happened to two motorcycling mates of my ex, on an icy morning at Drusillas roundabout in the early 90’s. Went under a lorry. We went to the funeral of two guys in their early 20’s.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bloody hell, how awful ? What have we become ?

Same as we ever were.

In th 60s picknickers would rip every bluebell and primrose by its roots and leave all their shit in exchange. Ditchling Common sticks in the mind.

Much better now, but circumstances have unleashed the beasts.

Things will improve.

As for the 'film it and put it on instagram' brigade, give a gimp a camera and they will take pix :shrug: Back in my day you'd be calling for an artist to produce a prelimary sketch. If you were a viscount.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
People want their tinpot 5 minutes of fame on Instagram or the like. Jockeying to be the first poster.

I recall the police saying that they grabbed phones (probably illegally, but who cares) off ********s filming the burning and dying at the Shoreham Air Disaster. People in the newly formed traffic jam rushing over, not to help.
It's not human nature that has changed much - the only real difference between now and the 'good old days' is mobile phones. Look at any old black and white or grainy sepia pictures of train wrecks, plane crashes or other disasters -the crowds who've come for a good gawp are twenty or thirty deep!
If the Romans had had mobile phones, doubtless they'd have been happily clicking away in the Colosseum, and bothering the Christians for a quick last minute selfie.............

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Half the audience in the last 10 or 15 years now concentrate on filming on their phone, then rush to download tracks to Instagram. In essence lifestyle boasting.

Wasn’t life simpler pre smart phones? I literally went to dozens of amazing gigs at the Dome or Suite, and some others further afield, with 2,000 punters packed in to have some beers with mates, then to be in awe of the musical idols.

Definitely not jealous of younger folk now unable to live in the moment, absorbing history.

I stick to small venues. Would rather shit my own bed than go 2K+. If I wanted to mingle with tossers I'd watch channel 5 or buy a season ticket in the Holmsdale end.

Sadly, the yoof now resemble the Ood. anglo_1920x1080_planetoftheood.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's not human nature that has changed much - the only real difference between now and the 'good old days' is mobile phones. Look at any old black and white or grainy sepia pictures of train wrecks, plane crashes or other disasters -the crowds who've come for a good gawp are twenty or thirty deep!
If the Romans had had mobile phones, doubtless they'd have been happily clicking away in the Colosseum, and bothering the Christians for a quick last minute selfie.............

This.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Hmmm

The crash I was involved two scooters (old school Vespas) and a ****ing moron in a Ford Orion..

We got up, although dazed and injured, went to my friend clearly more injured than us, some passerby tried to help him, he was talking to us, they took his helmet off, his head Basically collapsed....

Yes I’m having a drink now, and don’t know why I’m typing this, kinda therapy

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Hmmm

The crash I was involved two scooters (old school Vespas) and a ****ing moron in a Ford Orion..

We got up, although dazed and injured, went to my friend clearly more injured than us, some passerby tried to help him, he was talking to us, they took his helmet off, his head Basically collapsed....

It helps sharing. Sorry to read that, also a good example of why you dont want 100 people who dont know what they are doing helping.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Hmmm

Omg, I’m genuinely shocked by this. It must have been horrific. I’m so sorry for your friend and you too. Not sure how you can ever quite recover from witnessing such a tragedy. Traumatic doesn’t really cut it.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
In a topic related incident up here about 5 years back a teenager was threatening to jump [from quite a height] off a multi-storey car park.
Plenty of "kids" below goading / shouting "jump", "chicken" or "he won't do it" - many filming the event on their mobiles.
Police arrived and then the tragedy unfolded - HE JUMPED [and died].
Police confiscated mobiles and prosecutions [aiding and abetting a suicide IIRC] were dished out to many of the sick bast.ards ...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
In a topic related incident up here about 5 years back a teenager was threatening to jump [from quite a height] off a multi-storey car park.
Plenty of "kids" below goading / shouting "jump", "chicken" or "he won't do it" - many filming the event on their mobiles.
Police confiscated mobiles and prosecutions [aiding and abetting a suicide IIRC] were dished out to many of the sick bast.ards ...

These are posts I find hard to click like too.

But I get it why people do click like.

Sad how humanity and technology is evolving together, I think sometimes we not all worthy or capable/understand the consequences of the advances.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
These are posts I find hard to click like too.

But I get it why people do click like.

Sad how humanity and technology is evolving together, I think sometimes we not all worthy or capable/understand the consequences of the advances.

The internet:

Pluses for me - YouTube, NSC.
As well as being another avenue for the otherwise lonely to date or have social contact.

Negatives - so many, not least many young people now stare at devices when out with friends, trolling, bullied kids can’t escape their detractors once home, boasting to make ostracised ex-friends feel low, it’s given racists, the far right and left a springboard they could only dream of to air their lies, win support.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona

Lifestyle boasting, all the while not actually getting a chance to enjoy it because you're waiting for the perfect "snap"

Hmmm

It's extremely brave of you to share this on an open forum, I sincerely hope talking about it helps (in it's own way). Remember the good times with your friend, there are loads

The internet:

Pluses for me - YouTube, NSC.
As well as being another avenue for the otherwise lonely to date or have social contact.

Negatives - so many, not least many young people now stare at devices when out with friends, trolling, bullied kids can’t escape their detractors once home, boasting to make ostracised ex-friends feel low, it’s given racists, the far right and left a springboard they could only dream of to air their lies, win support.

See above Lifestyle posting. I'm currently in L'Escala (Spain) locked away in our summer house (I live in Barcelona before anyone jumps to conclusions) and I take my youngest for a walk every morning before having a coffee on the beach and watch my other kids whilst they swim. One morning this week a young mother spent the entirety of my coffee running back and forth into the sea taking selfies of her pose behind her baby. She'll never look back at that first moment they experience the sea, she'll be looking back at the "perfect photo" of it. It's sad really

I really hope that when my kids are older they understand the power of good old living in the moment. A memory is worth so much more than a thousand fake photos

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Lifestyle boasting, all the while not actually getting a chance to enjoy it because you're waiting for the perfect "snap"

It's extremely brave of you to share this on an open forum, I sincerely hope talking about it helps (in it's own way). Remember the good times with your friend, there are loads

See above Lifestyle posting. I'm currently in L'Escala (Spain) locked away in our summer house (I live in Barcelona before anyone jumps to conclusions) and I take my youngest for a walk every morning before having a coffee on the beach and watch my other kids whilst they swim. One morning this week a young mother spent the entirety of my coffee running back and forth into the sea taking selfies of her pose behind her baby. She'll never look back at that first moment they experience the sea, she'll be looking back at the "perfect photo" of it. It's sad really

I really hope that when my kids are older they understand the power of good old living in the moment. A memory is worth so much more than a thousand fake photos

in Bali last year whilst at Tana Lott i got surrounded by a coach load of young muslim girls from Sumatra in full dress...i'm 6ft 5 and have silver hair , they were all giggling like crazy and wanted to get a pic with me .....strangely flattering until one of them said to my eldest daughter that they thought i was Hodor out of GoT....(gutted).....we had a good laugh about it , but don't think it's just western culture that has fallen into the social media BS , it's a global phenomena and really a sad and strange one in my view.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Scummers. In fairness, I’ve seen Spaniards in their homeland do exactly the same.

Often over the years including this one, I often spend a little bit of time clearing up litter. Sad perhaps, but satisfying.

As I said, it's the same in the vast majority of places.

Also, in the 5 countries I've lived for work outside of the UK, the folk there have believed that their country must be the most fvcked up country in the world, just as people do here. There are people with the same traits and countries with the same problems everywhere, unfortunately

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
People want their tinpot 5 minutes of fame on Instagram or the like. Jockeying to be the first poster.

I recall the police saying that they grabbed phones (probably illegally, but who cares) off ********s filming the burning and dying at the Shoreham Air Disaster. People in the newly formed traffic jam rushing over, not to help.

Yes the issue with disaster scenes like that is videos get uploaded to social media instantly and family members/friends of the deceased can discover the news that way, rather than through formal identification etc.It's a sad state of affairs.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

An awful but not particularly modern phenomenon, apart from the filming of course. Psychologists put this down to deindividuation, a process whereby people, amidst the anonymity of a crowd, lose their individual identity and deviant behaviours arise. A study on this was done back in the 70s/80s which found in the majority of cases people encouraged the jumper to do it, especially if it was a night and there was a larger crowd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here