Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dishcloth woes

detsknil

Sep 23, 2011
Hanover, East Sussex
So I keep seeing on tele that your dishcloth has more germs than your toilet seat etc etc.....

I was thinking, every now & then if I was to dampen the dishcloth and then microwave it for about 1 minute would it kill more than 99.99% of germs or would it have no effect on the little fiends at all?

Does anyone know?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the fact that you are not dead from all those germs should tell you the important information, that they are not dangerous. there are a few nasties like e.coli, but pretty unlikly and if its on the worktop its too late... the problem with some of the ones on your toilet seat is they are very nasty if they get into the wrong part of you.

i think you can use the microwave method to sterilse your dish cloths. you could boil them up in an kettle, or just clean them in the washing machine.

or just buy new ones.

Aug 23, 2011
So I keep seeing on tele that your dishcloth has more germs than your toilet seat etc etc.....

I was thinking, every now & then if I was to dampen the dishcloth and then microwave it for about 1 minute would it kill more than 99.99% of germs or would it have no effect on the little fiends at all?

Does anyone know?

When a cleaning company eg dettol states that their bleach kills 99.99% of germs it is in reality 100% however you can't prove that so they go with 99.99%

If you don't leave your dishcloth screwed up in a wet ball that will help, rinse it out after using and then hang it to dry.

I wouldn't worry overly, people have been survivng for 1000s of years without succumbing to all these "dangerous germs" that surround us

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
In the kitchen sink overnight with some bleach and water. Net result clean sink and clean dish cloth. Not so clever if you have a cheap plastic sink though, as the bleach will discolour this.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Problem is everyone is so worried out germs etc we're becoming more prone to illness from simple bugs. Researchers are looking into why in the western world there has been a rapid rise in allergies especially from nuts. It has been proved kids from middle upper class western backgrounds are three times more likely to suffer from such allergies. This can only be put down, so the research believes, to the super cleanliness that these kids are kept in. Their little bodies start to attack good proteins instead of the nasties. The same goes with germs the more you sterilize your environment the more likely you are become susceptible to the basic germs.

In other words wipe your dishcloth around the toilet bowl, then kitchen units and then eat it. You'll be fine.

detsknil

Sep 23, 2011
Hanover, East Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here