Discussion topic for the next Ireland meet up : Cathal Coughlan

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
What the story boys and all that..

I have NOT been down loading loads of MP3's recently and have renewed my love affair with Microdisney. Lyrics completely at odds with mostly chirpy tunes. Now, Cathal Coughlan was a mouthy git who i liked a lot but what is/was your general impression ?

Genius or wanker ???

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
Excuse my ignorance but just where does all this fit in with an Irish meet up to watch a football match ??? ??? ??? ???

Turgid

Dec 5, 2003
Wadhurst
Genius

Saw him live in London last year. Still cuts the mustard.

On a par with A House (I an the Greatest) R.I.P.

One of the best gigs I have been to was Blue Aeroplane/A House at the Concord.

My best mate at uni, who was also a lad with Irish parents, absolutely worshipped Cathal Coughlan. For some reason I never really got into his music, but I can remember his stuff being quite soft, synth rock but his vocal style being really at odds with that, very distracted and original.

The only one of his I really member now was his minor Fatima Mansions hit "Only Losers Take the Bus", which had quite a funny video with lots of Catholic shit thrown in - I guess it was some kind of pisstake of one of Thatcher's favourite sayings.

One year in Glastonbury, my mate nearly shat his pants when we bumped into him near one of the stages. He was a very, charming, approachable guy and we chatted to him for ages - that must have been about 10 years ago now.

Turgid, delighted to hear he's still performing, I'd be well interested to hear him play live again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports