Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disappointed?

Brighton1

Jun 10, 2004
Newhaven
I must say I'm very disappointed we haven't got our "target man" everyone recognises we need, even Gus! Why is it? We must have had a very small transfer budget as we have only brought in crofts and with the sale of Elphick we couldn't have spent much more than half a mill. We have the most season ticket holders in the division and teams like Hull can afford players we can't! I believe we will be mid table again with what we've got, but if we got a Zamora or a Beckford I think play offs would be realistic. :annoyed:

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Why does everyone think BZ is a realistic target . He signed a 2.5 year contract with QPR in Jan 2012 and mark hughes is a fan . Could understand if MH wanted to loan him out etc but this is not the case . A year down the road may be a different propositition

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Great idea for a thread mate. Really original.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Half the teams in the division are getting parachute payments in one shape or form, and probably have larger sponsorship deals and the like than us. We are still a relatively small club in this league, but we are getting bigger. Strikers are expensive, there aren't that many available because clubs generally don't want to sell their best players, and everyone knows we need them, which is probably pushing prices up even higher.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Half the teams in the division are getting parachute payments in one shape or form, and probably have larger sponsorship deals and the like than us. We are still a relatively small club in this league, but we are getting bigger. Strikers are expensive, there aren't that many available because clubs generally don't want to sell their best players, and everyone knows we need them, which is probably pushing prices up even higher.

I'm happy we signed who we did though :) Hopefully gonna kick them tires and light them fires. Nothing yet of course :)

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I thought that this problem area would have been resolved weeks, if not a couple of months ago. My contact still thinks that something is happening re a signing but has no info on it, yet!

We may get earache from the " remember where we came from" brigade but your point is a valid one IMO.

Without a decent strike partner for CMS and quicker pass and move football, then I cannot foresee a promotion challenge this season. We have to at least play a slightly faster attack style to win games.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I must say I'm very disappointed we haven't got our "target man" everyone recognises we need, even Gus! Why is it? We must have had a very small transfer budget as we have only brought in crofts and with the sale of Elphick we couldn't have spent much more than half a mill. We have the most season ticket holders in the division and teams like Hull can afford players we can't! I believe we will be mid table again with what we've got, but if we got a Zamora or a Beckford I think play offs would be realistic. :annoyed:

FFS what is wrong with you? There are still 2 weeks to go until deadline day, when a load of signings are always made. Beckford sounds like it is going to happen any day now. Zamora earns about seventy thousand pounds a week. Don't be ridiculous.

Why do we have to have this shit every single Summer?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
How easy do you think it is to sign a good Championship striker? This isn't Football Manager! We all recognise its needed but I hardly think Gus has spent the last 8 weeks doing naff all only to suddenly spring to life now!

This is, in my opinion, the hardest piece of the jigsaw to find and it wouldn't surprise me if this saga was ongoing until the end of August

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Surely our revenue must be right up there in the top 6? If so how can other clubs with lower revenue aford wages?

Well, this might be beyond your comprehension, but our revenue has been up there in the top six for a whole ONE SEASON, where as other clubs have been there for years. And 3 of those clubs have millions and millions of pounds in parachute payments.

It REALLY isn't that hard, if you THINK about it.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Gus will only sign someone that can play our way - he will not sign just anyone to appease the masses. This narrows down the field somewhat. I would imagine it is not the xfer fees that are the issue, it will be wages. Ex prem players will still want massive wages which we will not pay. Strikers will demand the most wages of anyone.

Patience is the name of the game.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
I reckon everyone who wants to see a striker sign should start a new thread along the lines of this and the many others just so we know everyone wants to see a new striker.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Surely our revenue must be right up there in the top 6? If so how can other clubs with lower revenue aford wages?

Look at the Portsmouth situation (I know they're not in our division, snigger), that may give you a clue.

Weretheweststand

Unregistered User
Aug 23, 2011
Hailsham

I'm not disagreeing with you on that, it's just the way you said we've only signed crofts and sold Elphick and so we've spent less than a mil. This close season we've probably shaved about 5-10k off the wage budget and added an extra 35-40k at least, and a striker on top of that is going to be a transfer fee + at least 10-15k wages. That all adds up and TB is trying to make us a club which is financially sustainable rather than just splashing random cash thinking there will be no consequences.

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
Nope not surprised or anything. Nor does It make me worry where all this money for season tickets or the money from the pies and beer goes?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here