Difficult to live on £500 a week??

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How difficult is it living on £500 per week, £2,000 per month or even £24,000 per year? listened to some whinger from Brighton on Radio sussex this morning complaining that the Gouvernment a going to limit benifit claims to £500 per week for families. I expect that this will be tax free. There are alot of people out there who manage on less.

Last edited:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
How difficult is it living on £500 per week, £2,000 per month or even £24,000 per year? listened to some winger from Brighton on Radio sussex this morning complaining that the Gouvernment a going to limit benifit claims to £500 per week for families. I expect that this will be tax free. There are alot of people out there who manage on less.

Lua Lua or Bennett?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
listened to some winger from Brighton on Radio sussex this morning complaining that the Gouvernment a going to limit benifit claims to £500 per week for families. I expect that this will be tax free. There are alot of people out there who manage on less.

Do you mean whinger or LuaLua?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think you'll find most of that £500 is going straight into the pockets of rip-off landlords who exploit the housing benefit system for their own ends, not into the pockets of the low -paid or unemployed.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How difficult is it living on £500 per week, £2,000 per month or even £24,000 per year? listened to some winger from Brighton on Radio sussex this morning complaining that the Gouvernment a going to limit benifit claims to £500 per week for families. I expect that this will be tax free. There are alot of people out there who manage on less.

Be fair, that has to cover rent, utilities, food etc

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
This

I think you'll find most of that £500 is going straight into the pockets of rip-off landlords who exploit the housing benefit system for their own ends, not into the pockets of the low -paid or unemployed.

And this.

Be fair, that has to cover rent, utilities, take away each night, the latest video games, sky, broadband, laptops, high definition flat screen tvs in all the kids rooms, latest fashion, mobile phones for all the kids, a couple of holidays, a car it soon gets used up. :facepalm:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

net £500 / week equates to approx £2150 /mth net.

net £2150 / mth equates to salary of approx £35,000 per year.

Most working people I know are on less than that and seem to survive, so I think most others could too.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

Most working people I know are on less than that and seem to survive, so I think most others could too.

Exactly. I earn significantly less than that and have very little job security (a lot of freelancing) and I manage. Just.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

I would love to get given that and not have to work. But I don't.

Sadly, I do have to work and what money I do have has vast amounts taken away in tax.

Sometimes, I think it would be better for myself and my better half to just quit work and spawn an army of children.

I could do with a 5 bedroom house in Kensington.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
I am on disability benefits and have my council tax and rent covered. allowing for that, and adding my benefit it means I am on a salary equivalent of £11,880. This i believe is half the so called national average, so whilst i agree that there are a lot of families getting what seems extremely high amounts, please do not judge everybody by the examples we see touted by the media.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I agree £500 week is a perfectly ample sum of money to survive, and most people (including myself) in this country actually do. However what is misleading is the notion that there are millions of people pocketing £500 a week for doing nothing and that htey are living it up in the lap of luxury. This is not the case. As stated earlier the people receiving the bulk of that money will not be the benefit claimant, but the landlord of their rented property who can pretty much charge what they like as they know the government are picking up the tab.

If the rents were at more reasonable level, then the amount of benefits being paid out could be reduced dramatically. But then why punish wealthy landlords when you can socially engineer the undesirables out of the centre of London and other major cities.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
I agree £500 week is a perfectly ample sum of money to survive, and most people (including myself) in this country actually do. However what is misleading is the notion that there are millions of people pocketing £500 a week for doing nothing and that htey are living it up in the lap of luxury. This is not the case. As stated earlier the people receiving the bulk of that money will not be the benefit claimant, but the landlord of their rented property who can pretty much charge what they like as they know the government are picking up the tab.

If the rents were at more reasonable level, then the amount of benefits being paid out could be reduced dramatically. But then why punish wealthy landlords when you can socially engineer the undesirables out of the centre of London and other major cities.

spot on

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I am on disability benefits and have my council tax and rent covered. allowing for that, and adding my benefit it means I am on a salary equivalent of £11,880. This i believe is half the so called national average, so whilst i agree that there are a lot of families getting what seems extremely high amounts, please do not judge everybody by the examples we see touted by the media.

The original post was about people complaining about a £500 /wk cap. I don't think anybody was judging anything else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports