Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Difficult to believe how many Brighton fans went to Barnsley

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
"I don’t usually go in for the we have got better fans than you kind of stuff" says the author. So don't. You haven't, and neither have we. End of.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
It must be something in the air up there... All they seem to care about is who is bigger... Leeds even try to have a rivalry with Man Utd to justify their huge size... Then there is the MASSIVE... hmmm Good job Yorkshire is a big county!

yet when Donny were in the championship fans were singing 'just a pub team having a laugh', ;)

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Seem to remember being in a rather large away following many years ago at Newcastle when we beat them by what was it oh yes 3-1

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Born and brought up in Doncaster with no real connection to Brighton other than the team which I has supported since 1981. And my youngest lad is now a fan of the Albion. Only a 20 min drive to Barnsley for me yesterday. But I have to say I thought it was a cracking turnout and a great atmosphere in the away end. This season I also thought we had a cracking turnout at Newcastle. Not so great at Huddersfield, Wigan or Wednesdays but still wasn't poor by any stretch of imagination. Oh and the reason why my boy started following the Albion was because he loves the atmosphere of this great support which in comparison to our home town club Doncaster is a huge difference. Shame we cant get tickets for the Forest game but will be seeing the boys next at Rotherham.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Is this the same huge, traditional, historical Newcastle United with the best and most loyal support in the country that bearly managed to half fill St James' Park before redevelopment when they were struggling in a lower league, or am I getting them confused with another Newcastle, maybe the Australian one.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Born and brought up in Doncaster with no real connection to Brighton other than the team which I has supported since 1981. And my youngest lad is now a fan of the Albion. Only a 20 min drive to Barnsley for me yesterday. But I have to say I thought it was a cracking turnout and a great atmosphere in the away end. This season I also thought we had a cracking turnout at Newcastle. Not so great at Huddersfield, Wigan or Wednesdays but still wasn't poor by any stretch of imagination. Oh and the reason why my boy started following the Albion was because he loves the atmosphere of this great support which in comparison to our home town club Doncaster is a huge difference. Shame we cant get tickets for the Forest game but will be seeing the boys next at Rotherham.

Out of interest fella, why support the Albion ? Family connection to the town ? Craig Maskell ?

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Out of interest fella, why support the Albion ? Family connection to the town ? Craig Maskell ?

Simple if not silly story. Donny being shite back then and me wanting a club to support but not following everyone else in Liverpool, Man Utd, Sheff Weds or Leeds decided I would open a page in my panini sticker book. 1St attempt was Norwich (yellow, green and canaries) thought that aint for me. 2nd attempt Brighton (blue, seagulls, nice name) found that interesting and here I am. Still following through thick and thin.
I do have a huge soft spot for Donny still but nothing compared to the Albion. And think getting to Wembley in 83 as a 11 year old made the bond complete.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Simple if not silly story. Donny being shite back then and me wanting a club to support but not following everyone else in Liverpool, Man Utd, Sheff Weds or Leeds decided I would open a page in my panini sticker book. 1St attempt was Norwich (yellow, green and canaries) thought that aint for me. 2nd attempt Brighton (blue, seagulls, nice name) found that interesting and here I am. Still following through thick and thin.
I do have a huge soft spot for Donny still but nothing compared to the Albion. And think getting to Wembley in 83 as a 11 year old made the bond complete.

That's pretty cool, who took you to Wembley then your dad ?, much kudos to your old man if so.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

:thumbsup:

Top flight always brings new fans through exposure and it's no bad thing, a solid indictment of why that article is a piece of shit.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
ha ha yes and he is a Hull City fan.

Could be worse fella, my old codger supports two teams one when he lived down here "Southampton" now he's retired and moved to the Lake District he supports..... "Man feckin United" and the prats got a season ticket, my youngest brother still supports Southampton because of dad and they have a tuff family day out next Sunday.... My brothers coming to Reading with me Saturday but my dads not invited.... Families eh

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just wait and see how many we take to Rotherham on a Tuesday night :ascarf:

On a serious note, I thought 1300+ was a good turnout given distance. Also look at the upcoming Forest following where the allocation sold out before going on general sale, and how many more we would be taking if the allocation had been increased.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
As they are not playing Sunderland and Boro this season, they've gotta have a go at some team.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
IMG_4965.JPG
"Alright, apart from the distance being 237 miles, a mostly local fanbase, a comparably modest reputation compared to toon's, the shite and expensive trains, not to mention the torturous trip through or around London, why did Brighton only take 1400 compared to our 6000 Geordies who wanted to bunk off 'omewerk an' get propa wan'ered?"
"Barnsley is a bit of a shithole?"
"Oh, SHUT UP"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here