Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did your ****ing suitcase buy a train ticket ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I remember travelling back from Brentford after an evening game with [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] and others, getting on the Brighton-bound train at Clapham Junction.

I got the last seat in the carriage, which I had to ask for because the woman in her 30s was stretched out on both seats, trying to sleep. When she yelled at me to sit somewhere else, I pointed out to her there was nowhere else. She looked up and saw a packed train - to her evident horror.

Harumphing and grumping, she unwillingly sat up, and screamed at me not to talk to her, that she's had a very hard day - the kind I could never imagine etc. - and that she shouldn't really sit up, especially as I am a football fan.

Buzzer helped me out nicely by pointing out that he could have sworn I'd paid for a train ticket, and that sitting in a seat was my right, rather than privilege, which kicked her off again.

We got back to Brighton, and left her sleeping as the train made its journey back towards London.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
A had classic train NOB moment yesterday. I was sitting in an aisle seat and NOB was sitting opposite me, the two window seat people got off at Gatwick so the standard procedure is for either me or him to move across to our respective window seat to give ourselves more leg room. So we pulled out of the station and I was just getting ready to shift across when NOB decided he'd put his legs DIAGONALLY across to the seat next me and kind of lie on his seat. I put up with this for a few minutes but eventually managed to force him to move across to the window seat by stretching my legs out in front of me. I should also mention he was a NOB.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
I agree with the OP. I had this a while back, two girls had their luggage on the seats next to them on the Brighton - London train and wasn't anywhere to sit so I said could you move your bags so other people could sit down and they said where are we suppose to put them, I don't care but they're not staying there so move them, I stood but it enabled an older person to sit down.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
I particularly enjoyed this fine example today at Shoreham, this bloke clearly cares for his case. Needless to say, it got pride of place by the window on the train.
teruvada.jpg

Shoreham station, I'd have shoved it off If I was there, arrogant twats.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I have seen one particularly obese gentleman, travelling on the rammed West London line, brandish two tickets when challenged by fellow passengers. Kudos to the big fella, you have to admire his self-awareness, even if you question his lifestyle.

This causes me to wonder: with trains, are you actually paying for a seat, or just for the privilege of being transported from A to B?

On an aircraft, quite manifestly you are paying for a seat, as standing is not permitted. Therefore the larger members of society, might be asked to pay for two seats if that's how much space they take up.

On a train (or a bus), however, there are (unless you've paid for reserved seats) no rules about standing or sitting. Or, indeed, luggage, within reason, I think. So has your fat chum been mugged off, and are all the bag-seat hogs simply being obnoxious rather than breaking any rules?

Just wondering, like, I think bagging seats is incredibly annoying, but presumably none of us have a "right" to a seat?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This causes me to wonder: with trains, are you actually paying for a seat, or just for the privilege of being transported from A to B?

On an aircraft, quite manifestly you are paying for a seat, as standing is not permitted. Therefore the larger members of society, might be asked to pay for two seats if that's how much space they take up.

On a train (or a bus), however, there are (unless you've paid for reserved seats) no rules about standing or sitting. Or, indeed, luggage, within reason, I think. So has your fat chum been mugged off, and are all the bag-seat hogs simply being obnoxious rather than breaking any rules?

Just wondering, like, I think bagging seats is incredibly annoying, but presumably none of us have a "right" to a seat?

I took a couple of trains in Canada/USA last year and they had a proper luggage policy where you were only permitted up to a certain weight (I think it was 20kg). They even went as far as weighing people's luggage before boarding, my friend's bag was a couple of kg over and had to transfer some stuff into my bag, which seemed a bit silly as we were carrying the bags ourselves and they still took up the same amount of space on the train.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
This is why I hate public transport. I guarantee every train/bus I get on, I will get the over-friendly drunkard/chav/village freak sitting with me. Surely it must work out to an average of like, one freak per 2 carriages or something. The potential for a ruck on public transport is endless.

Don't even get me started on rail replacement buses.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I particularly enjoyed this fine example today at Shoreham, this bloke clearly cares for his case. Needless to say, it got pride of place by the window on the train.
teruvada.jpg

Guaranteed the shitty little case, that probably weighs less than a bag of sugar, has wheels, a two foot long extendable handle and a noise level of about 130 decibels when pulled along the street.

Last edited:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Guaranteed the shitty little case, that probably weighs less than a bag of sugar, has wheels, a two foot long extendable handle and a noise level of about 130 decibels when pulled along the street.

Made me chuckle.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester

Correct, a train ticket without a seat reservation only entitles you to travel from A to B by the route options printed on the ticket. It does not guarantee you a seat if the train is full. Without being sad enough to look it up though I am sure that there are rules in the "conditions of carriage" about not putting bags on seats, or in places where they block the aisles and vestibules for other passengers and staff and about not occupying more than one seat per ticket-holder (which has to be a person not an inanimate object or animal which you've bought a ticket for). Basically a train ticket only gives you an equal chance at a seat with your fellow passengers who are getting on at the same place, except for priority seats for passengers who are less capable of standing. The same even applies in first class for first class ticket holders.

Eurostar is different as all seats are reserved and the reservation is printed on the ticket.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I always get them to move luggage off seats. If they ask where to put it, suggest by the doors in that area, or in dedicated luggage racks.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I always get them to move luggage off seats. If they ask where to put it, suggest by the doors in that area, or in dedicated luggage racks.

Depends on the train. The trouble is most of the Southern ones don't have luggage racks any more. Not too bright considering there's one of Britain's busiest airports on the line.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
They do by the doors in some carriages.

As I said, depends on the train. It annoys me when people put bags on seats too but I have more sympathy for people with suitcases. The newest trains are very much geared to commuters, which is a joke for the ones that stop at Gatwick. I'd usually stick mine by the door but it's not surprising that some people are worried about doing that, especially if you can't get a seat nearby.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here